Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74

Thread: FFXII: The Zodiac Age

  1. #46
    Yes, I'm a FF III fan. Elpizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Out In Space
    Posts
    1,634

    FFXIV Character

    Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Personally I wish we'd get to choose between which License board we want, like you had two different (sort of) sphere grid options in X. Yeah, I know most people prefer the Zodiac Job system but being locked into one job just doesn't appeal to me. Plus, I heard the IZJS removed my favourite weapon in the series from the game, that lovable Zodiac Spear. <.< >.> Mix of both, please. Keep the spear, add choice option for license board, all other changes of IZJS were fine, from what I gathered.

    Pity about Larsa's infinite high potions, though.

    Keeping my fingers crossed for an eventual Steam release.

  2. #47
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,304
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    They may very well change it for the Western release. I'd be surprised if it was literally just a direct port with graphical and aural improvement. I'd personally want to add one or two things to the cooking pot myself.


  3. #48
    Witch of Theatergoing Karifean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wandering the Kakera
    Posts
    3,457
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    136

    Default

    It didn't remove the Zodiac Spear, it's just obtained in a different way now, no more stupid leaving treasures unopened when you have no fathomable reason to do so. Now you just have to... uh... kill all 30 trophy rare game and split the trophies evenly between the three dudes. Or hope for a 1% treasure spawn in the Henne Mines. ...it could be worse.

  4. #49
    Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    16,769
    Articles
    56
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    The problem is that the entire game was rebalanced for the rerelase in order to accommodate the Zodiac Job System. If they were to include both versions, that'd be much more than including both sphere grids - you'd have to change monsters, chests, and a whole load of other parameters to have both types of gameplay be balanced. So essentially, two different games in one.

  5. #50
    A Big Deal? Big D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    8,322
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    I'm kind of 'meh' about this. I'm sure it'll look and sound pretty, and the new job system may make levelling/character progression more streamlined. But the game itself was perhaps over-long or badly paced, so I don't know if it could sustain my interest for another play-through - even in glorious HD.

    The Sesh - Kiwi craft beer reviews and news

  6. #51

    Default

    Very pleased with this. Although sad no Vita.

    So what exactly was the Zodiac version and why is it so much better?

    Looking forward to exploring this world again. Best thing I remember and this game. The closest they'd really got to open world before FF15.

  7. #52
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    16,011
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    12
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Very pleased with this. Although sad no Vita.

    So what exactly was the Zodiac version and why is it so much better?

    Looking forward to exploring this world again. Best thing I remember and this game. The closest they'd really got to open world before FF15.
    It was the International version of FFXII that Japan got after the U.S. release. It also featured many elements that were planned for XII that got cut due to time constraints. The most obvious one being the Zodiac Job system. Basically instead of one massive License Board with all abilities on it, you got 12 smaller ones, with each representing a Job Class like White Mage or Knight (the boards are shaped like Zodiac signs, hence Zodiac Job title) and you could only choose one for each of your characters. The game also added a few new items, changed around the treasure and drop rate systems, as well as giving you the ability to customize the gambits of Espers and Guest party members. Also the Quickenings are now their own bar, and no longer attached to your MP like the original.

    The game also had a challenge mode where you can battle a 100 different bosses/Mark hunts and there is a speed up button like Chrono Cross. The Zodiac Jobs are the biggest change but the game has a lot of refinements as well over the original. It will be interesting to see if this version is just an HD remaster of the International version of if SE plans on adding in other mechanics or changes. I kind of feel its unlikely due to the games original director and producer being more of a supervisor role.

  8. #53
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,304
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Very pleased with this. Although sad no Vita.

    So what exactly was the Zodiac version and why is it so much better?

    Looking forward to exploring this world again. Best thing I remember and this game. The closest they'd really got to open world before FF15.
    It was the International version of FFXII that Japan got after the U.S. release. It also featured many elements that were planned for XII that got cut due to time constraints. The most obvious one being the Zodiac Job system. Basically instead of one massive License Board with all abilities on it, you got 12 smaller ones, with each representing a Job Class like White Mage or Knight (the boards are shaped like Zodiac signs, hence Zodiac Job title) and you could only choose one for each of your characters. The game also added a few new items, changed around the treasure and drop rate systems, as well as giving you the ability to customize the gambits of Espers and Guest party members. Also the Quickenings are now their own bar, and no longer attached to your MP like the original.

    The game also had a challenge mode where you can battle a 100 different bosses/Mark hunts and there is a speed up button like Chrono Cross. The Zodiac Jobs are the biggest change but the game has a lot of refinements as well over the original. It will be interesting to see if this version is just an HD remaster of the International version of if SE plans on adding in other mechanics or changes. I kind of feel its unlikely due to the games original director and producer being more of a supervisor role.
    My only question is: how are quickening charges filled? If it isn't based on MP?


  9. #54
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    16,011
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    12
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    From what I've heard, pretty much like a standard limit break.

  10. #55
    Witch of Theatergoing Karifean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wandering the Kakera
    Posts
    3,457
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    My only question is: how are quickening charges filled? If it isn't based on MP?
    Anything and everything that charges your MP also charges your Mist Gauge along with it.

    Btw one change I forgot to mention before is that treasure spawns are now rerolled if you only move *one* screen away instead of three like it was before. Which is quite a godsend.

  11. #56
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    16,011
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    12
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Didn't they also fix the wonky A.I. concerning stealing? I thought I read that somewhere.

  12. #57
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,304
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    My only question is: how are quickening charges filled? If it isn't based on MP?
    Anything and everything that charges your MP also charges your Mist Gauge along with it.

    Btw one change I forgot to mention before is that treasure spawns are now rerolled if you only move *one* screen away instead of three like it was before. Which is quite a godsend.
    OH THANK GOD.


  13. #58
    Witch of Theatergoing Karifean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wandering the Kakera
    Posts
    3,457
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Didn't they also fix the wonky A.I. concerning stealing? I thought I read that somewhere.
    Nah they didn't. There's no gambit that targets enemies that you haven't stolen from yet. But "Enemy: HP = 100% -> Steal" always worked out pretty alright for me.

  14. #59
    'Just Friends' Formalhaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glenwood
    Posts
    13,304
    Articles
    54
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Didn't they also fix the wonky A.I. concerning stealing? I thought I read that somewhere.
    Nah they didn't. There's no gambit that targets enemies that you haven't stolen from yet. But "Enemy: HP = 100% -> Steal" always worked out pretty alright for me.
    Yeah, that's the standard steal gambit. It does assume that the first steal will end up connecting, though for targets with rare items (and thus, will require *many* steals) I just put my entire team on steal gambits until the necessary item is stolen. And of course, if it doesn't connect you can just override and input manually.

    I'm glad treasure chests one-zone. That's so much easier. Might make getting the Danjuro easier as well, it if also counts for monsters.


  15. #60
    Witch of Theatergoing Karifean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wandering the Kakera
    Posts
    3,457
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I'm glad treasure chests one-zone. That's so much easier. Might make getting the Danjuro easier as well, it if also counts for monsters.
    Still two screens for enemies, but IIRC there's a bug you can abuse that lets you respawn Larva Eater rather quickly so the Danjuro isn't *that* horrible to get; either way it was replaced with the Hunter's Blade F (translation may vary) in this version which has like a 70% chance to KO on hit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •