Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good use of app points

Idk, I always liked negotiations. They were fun in their unpredictability and I loved the different demon personalities that really made the world come alive.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They were also useful for dealing with annoying enemy types, since once you figured out what they liked, you could easily persuade them to leave you alone. I always loved the system in longer dungeons where conserving SP was necessary. It looks like you can negotiate with demons as an option instead of doing an all-out-attack when you knock down all the demons. It also appears to be the new way to acquire Personas in random battles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

They brought back demon negotiations? Cool. My buddy Anzai will be stoked since that was a feature he liked in the older games.

Never really got into a Persona game but this one looks flashy as hell, so I'm gonna get it!

Disappointed to learn they're not gonna have dual audio though as I was hoping to use this as Japanese practice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Ah okay.

Honestly I found negotiation to be somewhat annoying. I know this is painfully obvious, but some demons were just so damn fickle.
    To be fair, if your experience with demon negotiations is only from SMTIV, that game made them a bit more random than usually for the series. Usually it doesn't take much to figure out what they want to hear and always get the result you want. Considering Persona has always been SMT-Lite, I doubt they will be too difficulty unless the design team started taking the older fans requests more seriously.

Also:

Final character is being teased, and the fan community thinks Naoto has a fight on her hands for best high school grade detective.

In other news, a feature called Cooperative Characters has been shown, though not much is known about them except they may be the new version of the Social Link system.

Link.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno, I might even pass altogether on this one. Nothing is making me excited for it.

This isn't me trying to poopoo on those of you who are excited or anything, just sharing my own thoughts!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wonder what shape the social link system will take this time. From what I saw of the artwork, the arcana is still there - the guys from that announcement are Hanged Man, Hierophant and Death - but they all kinda seem to be important to the game in other aspects (Sojiro being Futaba's dad, while the other two are the shop and nurse's office employees), so I wonder if we will get to get acquainted with randos again, and if there's gonna be a "rank up" system or anything. Very interested to see how this plays out.

In any case, every subsequent trailer is making me more and more excited. I am so happy that you have a cat along with you at all times, and I just love that UI. It's amazing in the school sections, with all the different sizes of character portraits just popping in, how "Mission Start" appears on the blackboard, how text messages are presented through an actual phone. The game is just so gorgeous. And then there's the battles, the negotiations, the all-out attacks, the battle results - everything just looks so right and you can tell the team has learned a whole lot from P3 and P4.

Also, dungeons - notice how there are puzzles and how you can find maps. No more randomly generated, endless, soulless dungeons where you just grind away between the fun social game. It just looks so much more involved and fun that I can't wait to play it! I also love how big the city looks and how organic just walking through it - or hell, even just the school! - is. All the places where you can take up part-time jobs, take baths. The world just seems so rich and I love it!

And honestly, I never knew how much I missed demons and demon negotiations in Persona until I saw those battles. Lookin' good, Pixie, Berith, Silky!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Another detective? And of course they both appear as (presumably) the final character. He has longer hair than I was imagining.

I like that the arcanas are still present. And I have hopes that this will be the game to have a same-sex romance. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't at least one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm weird in that I don't care if there is any romance whatsoever. At least not with the main character. it would be cool if we could pair up other characters with each other, a la Fire Emblem. I kinda ship Ryuji and Anne already.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ah okay.

Honestly I found negotiation to be somewhat annoying. I know this is painfully obvious, but some demons were just so damn fickle.
    To be fair, if your experience with demon negotiations is only from SMTIV, that game made them a bit more random than usually for the series. Usually it doesn't take much to figure out what they want to hear and always get the result you want. Considering Persona has always been SMT-Lite, I doubt they will be too difficulty unless the design team started taking the older fans requests more seriously.

Also:

Final character is being teased, and the fan community thinks Naoto has a fight on her hands for best high school grade detective.

In other news, a feature called Cooperative Characters has been shown, though not much is known about them except they may be the new version of the Social Link system.

Link.
    Yep. I remember negotiation in SMT III: Nocturne. You step out of the hospital and run into a massively OP Thor:

"Give me all your money."
    "Y-yessir."
    "Thanks."
    -Crushes you anyway-

Ah, good times.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Yep. I remember negotiation in SMT III: Nocturne. You step out of the hospital and run into a massively OP Thor:

"Give me all your money."
    "Y-yessir."
    "Thanks."
    -Crushes you anyway-

Ah, good times.
    Part of that is just knowing your enemy. You don't negotiate with guys like Loki or Lilith, they'll always screw you over regardless; assuming they don't blackmail you into poverty before running away without doing anything. Course the demons and gods tend to stay true to their mythology so it is a bit easier to know what to say in most regards once you get alignment down.

Articles
    Blog Entries

What was annoying SMT: IV is doing a dialogue line with a demon that works wonders, then the very next time you use the same dialogue with the same demon, they either: A) run away or B) attack you.

For recruitment purposes, it was so annoying when they ran.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What was annoying SMT: IV is doing a dialogue line with a demon that works wonders, then the very next time you use the same dialogue with the same demon, they either: A) run away or B) attack you.

For recruitment purposes, it was so annoying when they ran.
    As I said, they randomized it a bit more for SMTIV because in the older games, the same dialogue worked like 90% of the time, though figuring out the dialogue could be a bit trial and error, especially if you don't know the nature of the demon you're talking to. Persona is traditionally much simpler about the whole deal, it only ever got tricky when you were doing something like trying to get Fool Arcana cards or heaven help you, the times you run into a type of demon that only a specific (and usually not in your party) character would be needed to get anywhere with them.

One of the reasons Reiji was worth the damn trouble to recruit in Persona 1 was the fact all of his negotiation techniques worked on every demon in the game regardless. Making him ideal to get Persona like Shiva, who had a restriction of unlocking only after you've successfully negotiated with every type of demon in the game.

Course, looking at what we saw in the trailer, this looks like it's going to be fairly simple and straightforward compared to SMT proper, so I wouldn't worry about it being like older entries. Persona is the gateway franchise after all.

You carry a kitty around in your backpack constantly.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You carry a kitty around in your backpack constantly.
    I know!