Thread: The Gnostically inspired story in FF7.

Default The Gnostically inspired story in FF7.

The story of this game is based on something in real world philosophy. If you thought the name Jenovah sounds a little too similar to Jehovah, that's because it is. http://www.deoproximo.com/#!video-game-metaphors-/c16eh

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not sure I would say FFVII has much Gnostic inspired elements to it, hell even the Kabbalah reference is more surface and less important to the games general themes.

Jenova's name is also not a mistranslated of Jehovah, but rather the combining of two words, Jehovah (God) and Nova (Latin word for new) so Jenova is meant to refer to New God. Course the anti-Jehovah element may stem, from Japan's rather messy history with Catholicism and Christianity in general as opposed to the Gnostics trying to reconcile the serious personality change God goes through between the Old (God of Law) and New Testaments (God of Love). Though I guess one could argue that Jenova being mistaken for a true Ancient is partially inspired by the role of the Demiruge in Gnostic teaching.

Blog Entries

I wish people would come to my door asking if I knew Jenova or have heard of Sephiroth. I would let them in and show them my save file.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII has nothing on Xenogears in that regard. Funnily enough, Xenogears was supposed to be FFVII, so maybe stuff from that game rubbed off on FFVII?

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great first post. your cool accuracy is at 100% right now