Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moana

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    When this project was first announced, it was said that Moana was going to feature a mish-mash of various demigods, palm trees, and hula scenes. Moana was maybe going to be Maori, or maybe Tahitian, or maybe Samoan; but who cares how accurate or researched something might be, us Pasifika peoples should just be happy to have any place at the Disney pantheon, right? It made me very nervous.

I do not think that this movie will be perfect, but I do think it will likely be good; mostly as Taika Waititi wrote this movie, Dwayne Johnson is a great choice for Maui, and the directors specifically cast a Pasifika actress as Moana. I am not a fan of the Hercules aesthetic, but I have to say that it was cool hearing Maui speak Te Reo Maori.
    I was dubious and cautious at first, too, but I've warmed to the idea after learning that the key cast and writers all hail from cultures who have Maui in their mythology. Reaction in NZ has been mixed, since a lot of folks here don't realise that Maui's a universal figure througout the Pacific instead of a uniquely Maori demigod. I'm looking forward to seeing a version of his stories that might draw on Hawaiian, Samoan and other versions of the same mythical figure.

Saw the Teaser last weekend, I want to go see that movie so badly. For what i saw the visuals look very good.
    The One and Only KeybasH.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Here's the first 'proper' trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKFuXETZUsI
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm done with animated films. Smurf those guys.

After both feeling crappy recently MissH and I decided to watch The Good Dinosaur. "This looks fun and light-hearted!" we thought.

Fast forward 90 minutes and I'm crying my eyes out.

Even children's films aren't safe, these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That trailer was actually really good. Which is surprising. I can't remember the last time I saw an actually good trailer, especially for a kids movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Denmark doesn't know it yet, but we WILL be seeing this in theatres (of which I highly doubt he'll object). Not only does this movie look really cute, it's STUNNING. Which is why I want to see it in theatres rather than wait, because I feel like something will be lost when it's not on the big screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

After both feeling crappy recently MissH and I decided to watch The Good Dinosaur. "This looks fun and light-hearted!" we thought.

When we're children's movies ever safe?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

When we're children's movies ever safe?
    smurfing never.

Is it wrong that I'm not hyped for this movie at all ? Maui just seems to be that Flynn Rider personality, that they're going with again. First Flynn, then sorta Kristoff, then Nick from Zootopia and now Maui ?

Can we have a male character that's not a asshole, or bit smug, but shows that he's actually good deep down, during the last 10 mins of the movie ??

I mean, THROWING a young teenaged girl, into the waters, and not caring if she drowns or get eaten by sharks ? I know, it's played for the 'laughs', but, really ?

Disney seems to be doing good with the female leads, but the men, the m e n.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I liked Flynn and Kristof. Not to mention Wreck-It Ralph and Fix-It Felix and Nick Wilde and all the guys in Big Hero 6. Where is there a lack of good male characters?

As for Maui chucking Moana off a boat, as Terry Pratchett will tell you, gods and demi-gods are gits.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Where is there a lack of good male characters?
    Flynn Rider, Kristoff, Nick( and now Maui ) are assholes, till the last 5 mins of the movies that they were in.

I guess, I just loathe the Jerkass With The Heart Of Gold trope. Due to past personal experiences.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think saying they're assholes to the last five minutes is a good assessment. Maui seems just very proud so far, which fits into him being a demi-god, really. Flynn was kind of one of those people that could weasel his way out of everything, but warmed up to Rapunzel pretty fast, while Kristoff was pretty much just unpleasant because he was frustrated that the weather ruined his business. None of them did really bad assholish things to the respective princesses.

I don't think saying they're assholes to the last five minutes is a good assessment. Maui seems just very proud so far, which fits into him being a demi-god, really. Flynn was kind of one of those people that could weasel his way out of everything, but warmed up to Rapunzel pretty fast, while Kristoff was pretty much just unpleasant because he was frustrated that the weather ruined his business. None of them did really bad assholish things to the respective princesses.
    Flynn Rider is a manipulative liar, con-artist and a well-known wanted thief on the run, and was using Rapunzel for her crown for a decent chunk of the movie. Yes, Flynn, or rather Eugene warms up to Rapunzel, eventually, but his charming, feign- persona, is just heavily cringeworthy. With Aladdin, you know that he's just a boy that needs food to survive, and you know that he has a strong heart, he just feels like he's not worthy of anything. With Flynn, he's willing to use his charm, to use people, and almost does that to Rapunzel. It's just a bit, yikes.

Same with Nick. A manipulative liar, con-artist and uses his charm to manipulate others, is downright horrible towards Judy, and attempts to use her weaknesses and fears aganist her, so he can go back to his con way's.

Kristoff, while not much of a asshole as Flynn and Nick, still acts like a jerk towards Anna and her choices, while he's right, it's not within concern that she's going to marry a sociopath with a few days of knowing him; it's with a smug ' this girl is a idiot '. It's only after Anna has been cursed with a frozen heart, that he starts to be a nicer person and care about Anna's well-being, and safety. The day before, he could less, that a young eighteen-year-old girl was going to marry a dangerous psycho, that finds pleasure in decapitation.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Maybee, you make some good points, but you're always so abrasive about it. I don't mean to attack you, but if you want people to hear what you say, you should state your opinion without going on the offensive all of the time (and I am totally guilty of this a lot, so I Get. It.).

That said, I find Maui super charming. I don't think he's a dick. He's cute.