Thread: E3 2016: Final Fantasy XV VR Experience!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default E3 2016: Final Fantasy XV VR Experience!

Yup, you read that right. A VR exclusive for Final Fantasy XV! The Sony E3 Press Conference showed off various VR exclusives including our own favorite franchise, Final Fantasy.

You'll play as Prompto. We'll have more info for you when available but for now, Check out the trailer!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Freya; 06-14-2016 at 03:25 AM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Meh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Meh.

I'll expand a tad more. I was hoping for more FFXV information, but instead we got a gimmicky VR experience. It can't be a coincidence that Cidney's large cleavage is the preview for the YouTube video.

I don't care either way as it related to FF XV specifically, but I will say that I am really disinterested in VR as a whole. It was the same with the Wii for me. It requires way more effort than I want to put into playing a video game.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

VR stands the chance of being a win/win.

If it succeeds and people like it, than even more games will be made for VR and it'll likely evolve in cool and interesting ways.

If it's a gimmick that flops, that $400 will quickly drop to a clearanced $150 and the people who are excited about it right now (but don't want to pay the price of a new console) will at least have a lighter load on the wallet to experience the games already coming out for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

VR can be very very good when used in genres that would suit it. Horror games spring to mind, but also visual novels so you can look around the world you're exploring. That'd be pretty cool.

One thing about VR that I don't understand: how do you move? How do you do actions? Are you still holding a controller, or is it Kinect style where the game moves you forward on rails?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    VR can be very very good when used in genres that would suit it. Horror games spring to mind, but also visual novels so you can look around the world you're exploring. That'd be pretty cool.

One thing about VR that I don't understand: how do you move? How do you do actions? Are you still holding a controller, or is it Kinect style where the game moves you forward on rails?
    After playing the Resident Evil 7 demo tonight I've decided that I'm going to get a PSVR alongside the game when it launches in January. I think it will be the perfect first VR game! Well, maybe not so perfect when I jump out of my skin and the headset flies off my head and smashes to pieces.

As for the control method you still use a controller, for PSVR at least. Not sure about Oculus and Vive. As for if its on rails or not, that depends on the game. For example Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is an on rails rollercoaster where you just use the controller for shooting and stuff, whereas Rigs puts you in a mech and you control all your movements and actions in the arena.

& the FFXV VR experience? It's not something I'm really interested in but I'll give it a go for the sake of giving it a go.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 06-14-2016 at 11:25 PM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah it just seems like a little pointless gimmick they put in because VR is the thing to do at the moment. Kind of like all those PS3 games released over a six month span that all shoehorned in Move motion controls support but didn't actually require any of it to get through the game, or all those early PS3 games that needlessly shoehorned in sixaxis controls. Or all those early PS4/XB1 games that shoehorned in voice/swoosh controls that you could use the PS Eye/Kinect for.

It might still be neat I guess, but it's not something I frankly care about.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's basically a first-person Final Fantasy game. Not something I thought I'd be able to say in a sentence.

It's different.