Thread: Most Disappointing Games

Default Most Disappointing Games

So we have a thread about where you in maybe not expecting much but ended up liking it. Let's look at the other side of the coin.

Xenosaga Episode II - Probably the most soul crushing gaming experience of my life. It did not deliver a single thing I wanted from a sequel to Episode 1.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. This game gets so much talk and praise from people. They're all horrible liars.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Yeah, self-explanatory.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kinda Wind Waker?

I mean, it was still a fantastic game and I don't think there's a bad Zelda among the ones that I've played (and yes, I played II), but WW was retroactively so hyped up that it kind of set a very high bar for expectations. The art style was nice, but the game wasn't as dark or groundbreaking as people played it up to be, and the Triforce piece quest by the end was very draining, so that was kinda lame.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WW was disappointing fire me because it has fewer dungeons than previous games and my god the sailing is so boring. What an awful idea that was. Maybe if it had just been a portion of the game of would be fine but that's the only way you travel between different places.

Great art style though and the dungeons that are there are mostly pretty good.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

FFXII - I was super hyped for it and ended up just not caring at all and I never finished it. The soundtrack was good I guess.

Civ V - just plain didn't like it half as much as others in the series, I guess it's improved with expansions but now I can't be bothered hahaha.

HoI III - not as good as II/Darkest Hour but the series seems to have returned to form with IV so I'm really happy about that.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Halo 5. a stupid boring story with a cliff hanger. stupid AI who stand doing nothing instead of reviving you. and the multiplayer is ughnhg.
    its like Cod, trying to evolve into a hyper futuristic fast paced mess.

Diablo 3. It's a fine game and all, but the atmosphere of Diablo was just completely gone.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy VII - Was super hyped for this game, especially with what people were saying about it but the hype died down the further I got into the game and how asinine the writing was.

Final Fantasy X - Same deal, super stoked, looking forward to this and MGS2 for my new PS2 and instead I played what was probably one of the most simple and boring entries in the series. Even the grindathon NES entries were more gripping to me.

Mass Effect 2 - The demo for this is what made me decide to pick up the ME Trilogy pack and I was so pysched to get to it but, damn if it didn't strip away everything I loved about the original, instead feeling like a third person shooter with tacked on choice mechanics and the most lame of customization options. Some of the characters were fantastic but I started to get really bored after awhile. ME3 has the same issue though I wasn't expecting anything from that one.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Another Holy Grail entry, though in this case, a demo for it made me pass on the N64 in the past, but I heard so many good things about it, I started to think I didn't really give it a chance. When I resolved myself to get a Wii and Twlight Princess, I decided I wanted to play OoT first, because I hadn't played a Zelda since the SNES days and never really experienced 3D Zelda. Finally got it and went through it. Not terribly impressed. While it wasn't the massive disappointment as the entries above, it does have the distinction of being one of the more vanilla entries in the series for me. It just felt so much smaller than the other entries and it borrowed so much from the better Link to the Past and Link's Awakening in terms of puzzle and dungeon design. Hell even the infamous Water Temple wasn't really that bad.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - I went in with a lot of hype and idea that Kojima could do no wrong, and well, even game designers are human I guess. The writing is pretty lazy and bad, using loads of fanservice to try and cover up its half ass resolutions but I feel the core game itself is what bothered me the most, feeling more action game/third person shooter than stealth title. I'm kind of here for the stealth but I found myself just racing around blowing people up more in this game than earlier entries. The boss fights themselves were also lame. Still my least favorite entry in the MGS series.

I'm sure there is more...

Articles
    Blog Entries

inFAMOUS 1 & 2. I was told a lot of good things about them and they were basically uninspired, generic, superhero babble that played like GTA with superpowers. inFAMOUS 2 was a little better, but honestly not by much. I third MGS4. It's pretty lackluster in several ways compared to the previous entries of the franchise.

1) Every game you've ever loved
    2) Fight me

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    1) Every game you've ever loved
    2) Fight me
    U think I won't? Put up ur dukes!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Little Big Planet. I still enjoyed it but it didn't live up to my expectations and was rather short.

Skyrim. Again, by no means bad but it wasn't as amazeballs as everyone made it out to be like ohsomassivesogreatsomuchtodoaaahhhh

Guilty Gear. Man I wanted to like Guilty Gear.

Type-0.........
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 06-16-2016 at 05:52 AM.

Megaman Battle Network 4. The third game in the series was amazing. What the HECK happened?

I didn't think mgs4 disapointed at all when it first came out. It wasn't until a couple playthroughs later i started seeing the flaws and even then i still think it is a very solid game. The story, character endings and boss crew are the only disappointing elements off the top of my head.

Dark Souls 2 was disappointing for me, as much as i tried to like it. Ironically it doesn't really have soul.

HAWX 2 was probably the biggest of disappointing games, with Ace Combat: Assault Horizon not far behind.