Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Producer for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age hints at improving Zodiac Jobs system

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just announce a damn PC release already. All of these details mean nothing to me without a PC release.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    If you don't want to change them, then just pick one and stick to it. Adding the option of changeable jobs has no downsides.
    It has the downside that the entire game would again have to be rebalanced to acommodate changing jobs, thereby not making sticking to one job simply an option.
    Why does it have to and how do you know that they're actually going to re-balance anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    If you don't want to change them, then just pick one and stick to it. Adding the option of changeable jobs has no downsides.
    It has the downside that the entire game would again have to be rebalanced to acommodate changing jobs, thereby not making sticking to one job simply an option.
    I don't really get this. Why would anything have to be rebalanced? Currently, the game is balanced so that you can beat the entire game with any job combination, right? It should be, since it's forcing you to make a permanent decision right at the start of the game, and it would suck to get 95% of the way in and realize you chose the wrong jobs and can't beat the last dungeon.

So, if you let us change jobs, how does that change anything? You're still limited to a job layout which the game was already balanced for. One job, per character. If you play through the game with White Mage, Dragoon, and Black Mage, or if you play through with Fighter, Thief, and Geomancer (I'm too lazy to look up the actual jobs again), why shouldn't you be able to play through half of the game with one of those parties, then switch to the other party after that? How does it change the game's balance?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Did they even change enemy stats and behavior in the International version?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I didn't read every response yet, so I apologize if this was mentioned, but what I didn't like about the IZJS boards were the tiles that were behind Espers/Quickenings.

I just felt that each job could never reach it's fullest potential because you had to pick certain Espers or Quickening slots to get certain abilities.

Outside of that, it's a pretty perfect game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I didn't read every response yet, so I apologize if this was mentioned, but what I didn't like about the IZJS boards were the tiles that were behind Espers/Quickenings.

I just felt that each job could never reach it's fullest potential because you had to pick certain Espers or Quickening slots to get certain abilities.

Outside of that, it's a pretty perfect game.
    Really? I thought that was pretty cool. For espers at least. It forced you to make a choice as to which character gets a bonus and which lose out on it. Besides, the licenses locked away are always things that lie outside that job's regular ability set; for example Time Magic for the Machinist, Heavy Armor for the Archer, White Magic for the Monk - all things the jobs don't have (and don't need) any of otherwise. Some choices were really tough, too. Especially Famfrit who unlocks some really good licenses for four different jobs.

The quickening locks could've been done better though. All jobs only have 4 quickening licenses, and for ALL jobs besides the Hunter there is one quickening license that doesn't have any other licenses locked behind it, making the choice regarding what quickening licenses you activate pretty trivial. I think it would've been more interesting to have you make decisions here as well, where every possible choice has merit to it but you can't have them all.