Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Cranston is Zordon

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Bryan Cranston is Zordon

Intrigue is slowly growing.

While there was some doubt on the matter for a while, it’s now been confirmed that Lionsgate and Saban’s 2017 Power Rangers movie is a big screen reboot of the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers TV show that debuted in 1993. The film, like the MMPR TV series, revolves around five everyday teenagers who find their hometown of Angel Grove – and the world at large – under attack by an alien sorceress known as Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks).

Production on Saban’s Power Rangers (as it’s formally titled) is already well underway, as evidenced by the set photos that have leaked online – showing the Rangers doing battle with Rita and her forces, including her foot-soldiers known as Putty Patrollers. However, there’s one key player from the original MMPR property who had not been officially cast before cameras started rolling on the reboot: Zordon, the alien being who mentors the Rangers and gives them their “morphin” abilities.

That’s no longer the case though, as Heisenberg himself, Breaking Bad alum Bryan Cranston confirmed on Twitter that he’s playing Zordon in Saban’s Power Rangers. And in case anyone thought he was just kidding, the official Power Rangers movie Twitter account has re-posted Cranston’s Tweet, along with some Power Rangers-related trivia about the actor, as you can see, below. (Here’s another piece of Power Rangers-related trivia: Cranston voiced the monsters Twinman / Snizard on the original MMPR TV show.)
    source

Glad to hear filming has begun. I'm looking forward to when we get to see a trailer so we have more to form an opinion on than just a bunch of still images that won't necessarily represent the final product. While immensely different from the show, I do like Rita's costume design and how it might be inspired with her tides to the Green Ranger.

Rita design
    Power Rangers design
    Teaser Poster

Discuss.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I really love Cranston's voice, so I'm really looking forward to the movie in that regard. The suits are too B-movie for me. I'm sure they'll go through a redesign since it looks like they're trying to go for a muscles super suit instead of just spandex. Rita is whatever, I like Elizabeth enough that I'm willing to get over that she doesn't look like the original. I think they did an okay job of diversity.

I'm not sure what those suits remind me most of: Iron Man or the Warden Armour from XCOM 2.

Either way, I grew up at exactly the right time for the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, so I am totally looking forward to this film

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'll probably give this a miss. I was too old when it came out and I always thought it looked and sounded terrible.

Fun Fact though: When I broke my leg and was in hospital, they used to give me morphine in tablet form. Just before taking it I would always say "It's morphine time!!"

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Here's a trailer, though no sign yet of Zordon or Alpha or suited-up Power Rangers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w

Of course Power Rangers was always terrible, so not like this film can be any worse. Hopefully Bulk and Skull will be in this one too.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

This movie looks like it's going to be pretty bad. Bryan sounds robotic.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I am actually very hyped now. It wont be great. But it looks super fun!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I am actually very hyped now. It wont be great. But it looks super fun!
    It looks awful but the sort of awful nostalgia trip I'll see, enjoy for how awful it is, then bitch about it for years as they release one troutty sequel after another.

Sequels? No way this gets sequels.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Sequels? No way this gets sequels.
    After the sheer number of Transformers sequels and even a Ninja Turtles sequel I will never make such an assumption again.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Judging by all the trailers so far, as someone who grew up watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from the very beginning until midway through the Zeo story arc (I think that was the...forth season?) I have to say this looks BAD, and not even in a so-bad-it's-good way. Again, going by the trailers, the fact that the film appears to takes itself 100% seriously, and expects the audience to do the same, dooms it to being a piece of crap suitable for virtually no one. I mean who exactly is this movie for? Adults who grew up watching the show like me? No, it's completely done away with any resemblance to that show in favor of some gritty grimdark crap. To introduce a new generation of kids? I don't see how, there doesn't seem to be much of anything here to draw them, and it doesn't even look like kids are the target audience, which might be the dumbest part. So then, what are we left with? Generic action movie? Well, okay, fine, but in a world where a Marvel/DC superhero film comes out every other month and a new Transformers film comes out every year, the two main ingredients to this film are already better served elsewhere, many times over.

With a budget of $120 million (holy crap how did that happen?) I will be utterly amazed if this doesn't end up as one of the top ten box office bombs of all time.

I remember a few years ago when a trailer leaked for a cancelled cgi Power Rangers feature film, and honestly, it looked and felt way more like what a Power Rangers film should be. Campy, colorful, and fun. I think they should have stuck with that idea. That had the potential to either be something great, or something so bad it was great.

Of course, I could be wrong about all this. The movie that did end up getting made could be exactly what a 2017 Power Rangers film should be and clean up at the box office. I won't hold my breath.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry to ask, but anyone mind telling me where my review disappeared to? If there was a problem with it, then fair enough, but it I wasn't given any messages (and I was away), it's a shame that I typed a review out of the movie, while it was fresh in my mind, and now it's gone (and I don't have any copies of the review).

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The forum was rolled back to 28th March due to some technical issues. There's more information in the most recent forum announcement.

Apologies that your thread was lost.