Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's Chart - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh man I just started this too! I'm about halfway through the fortress. It's my first time playing so this is great!

You have 26 items already! I have 6, damn.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Oh man I just started this too! I'm about halfway through the fortress. It's my first time playing so this is great!

You have 26 items already! I have 6, damn.
    To be fair to yourself, I am using a guide for the treasures!

And I finally have internet in my new apartment! Celebrate!

Expect a new update either today or tomorrow, adventurers!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Previously on Formy's Fortune...

We might as well been on the island, as I was without internet connection at my new apartment for over a month. But if you cast your mind waaaay back to Chapter V, we scaled a fortress, opened a can of whoop-ass on some bad guys and tried to catch up to Elena, who somehow avoided every single hired goon in the goddamned fortress.

Chapter VI picks up pretty much where Chapter V ends, so let's jump straight back into the action!

Chapter VI
    Unlocking the Past

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20160821161827.jpg
    Yup, still searching for her

No sooner than we start the chapter that we get immediately attacked by bad guys.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20160821161912.jpg
    They even interrupted the cut-scene, those bastards!

And with the exception of a small chunk of ruin, the only cover is the door. Still, it wasn't so bad, as they didn't all attack at once, following henchmen rule #01: never attack all at once, even if that would give you the advantage.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20160821162345.jpg
    There's even time to take some pictures!

After bagging another treasure, we pull yet another crank into a platforming section! To move forward, we have to open this door with the same key symbol as in the journal.

To achieve this, we naturally have to go the opposite direction from the door to find the mcguffin. After roping it like Indiana, Nate avoids getting crushed and dying of embarrassment (and also crushing).

This opens the way ever upwards towards the conspicuous tower, which also provides some fantastic photos for Tomb Raiding Monthly.

We enter the tower, push a skeleton over and nab the key that unlocks the door. Because of course we knew that was where the key was, right?

It's more of a Pandora's Door however, as another turret dude is on the other side.

I hang back and let my pistol take out the minions. After they're all dealt with, I move in closer for the turret guy and use the ROCKET OF DOOM on him. After mopping up some more enemies (that chose not to participate in the last gunfight), I get to be turret guy for a day and mow down the enemies that soon follow.

Nate heads down a staircase and soon enough we enter a cut-scene with a revelation: Francis Drake made it to the island after all! Unfortunately, a guy with a shotgun appears soon after to spoil our historical interlude.

We make it outside and spot Drake's Tower, but there's a problem: a crumbly, not-so-staircasey problem. How will we get through now?

Climbing, of course! We get through and make it to a pretty little balcony.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20160821171433.jpg
    That's the hip holding of appreciation

From it, we see a mysterious city we haven't explored yet, Elena, some birds in the distan- ELENA!?

For once, the pirates are actually aware of her presence. We make the attempt to take out the pirates and save her but some bastard with a ROCKET OF DOOM destroys the lovely balcony we were on and knocks Nate unconscious. Evil!

We wake up in a prison cell, of course. Elena's here to rub salt in the wound and be nothing if not ungrateful for saving her life.

Still, she decides to rescue us using her superior knowledge of historic building materials. She buggers off to do... something.

We're interrupted by Eddy Raja, and it seems he and Nate has some history. We hear some troubling accounts of his men being scared out of their minds. Wow, are we that good? His men can't even piss without cowering in fear of Nathan Drake! Mwhahahaha!

And Eddy should be fearful of Elena too, who promptly busts the jail open with the jeep. After making our escape and pinching the map back from Eddy, we jump straight into the next chapter!

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20160821172043.jpg
    Well that's one way of opening the door.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 08-21-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well this is exciting! Elena's driving, while Nate is around on the back of the jeep, firing his turret and grenades. This pretty much sums up the entire chapter, to be honest. That, and some wicked bantz between Nate and Elena:

We explode many vehicles. What was that fortress hiding, a multi-storey garage? Anyway, at the end of the line, there's a final cliff which traps us against Raja and his men.

Elena dutifully points out that Eddy is quite crazy. With no where else to go thanks to those damned cliffs, Nate desperately throttles into reverse and falls into the water...

What will happen? Will we survive? (Yeah, we will).

Tune in next time, while we explore the city that's been looming ominously in the background for the next few chapters!
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 08-21-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love being turret guy in chapter 6! Mowing down mad guys like there's no tomorrow.

I like the change of pace in Chapter 7 too. Although, I suppose it's just turret guy but on the move. Either way, very enjoyable!

Glad your internet issues are sorted, Formy

Articles
    Blog Entries

We surveyed the last of the pirate fortress, and after a few chapters of searching, managed to find Elena. Disaster struck our hero however, as he got captured by the pirates and came face to face with his enemy-come-acquaintance, Eddy Raja.

Hammy Raja and Nate have a chat over tea and crumpets, with Raja threatening Nate to help him. Good news for Nate however as Elena busts open the jail and the two flee in a jeep. After some on-rails shooting, the two had no choice but to dive off into a (possibly) alligator infested river...

Quelle surprise, our heroes survive the plunge. We swim off into the city with gunfire still clipping out heels. How bracing! We also have Elena again for the first time since Chapter Three, so I look forward to having her not use cover and get into my line of fire.

First order of business: dispatching the enemies on the cliff.

A few more enemies later, we head a tad deeper into the city. Cue a cut-scene where Elena and Nate bicker like an old married couple.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20160910140357.jpg
    Ah, the old 'where are we going' argument

Nate gets cold feet about this whole 'adventuring' business. What gives!

Fortunately, Elena is here to give him a pep talk and go just that little bit further. Footage from her camera indicates a boat that could take them off the island, or delve deeper into its secrets. Deciding to postpone decision-making for now, the two journey on. Ugh, but next we have another vehicle section. On a jetski.

I remember this section from my aborted run a few years ago. I didn't enjoy it. Basically you can move or shoot, which leads to a rather 'stop and start' procedure. Elena has infinite ammo for her MISSILE OF DOOM, but there's a guy someone in this section that also carries one, which is tricky to avoid on a cumbersome machine like this.

Fortunately, that guy is dead before he can get a bead on me. After that, we smoothly sail over to the end of this section, complete with exposition via jetski.

Finally, in a chapter that has had hardly any platforming, we do get a small section to close the chapter to open up a new path via the near ubiquitous handcrank. A few turns of the screw later, and the gate is open for us to...

... you're kidding. MORE wave riding?

Articles
    Blog Entries

We escaped Eddy Raja's men, only to be captured by an even more threatening enemy: the jet-ski. Confusing, unhinged, hard to control... these are just some of the many similarities between Raja and the jet-ski.

Nathan and Elena explore the Drowned City together, mainly while avoiding eye contact thanks to the jet-ski. Elena posits that an entire colony doesn't just disappear, which is something she probably got off of the Discovery channel, or perhaps in one of her severely understaffed documentaries.

We blast a few pirates with the limitless rocket of doom, with only a brief earthbound trip to open a gate before moving on, once more, into another chapter.

There's more jet-ski, guys.

So yes, one more segment on the water. Thankfully, there's not as many barrels, but there is another M-97 guy who always scares the life outta me. Instant kills are not my friend. He was towards the end of this segment though, so until then, Drake and Elena could at least see the sights on their little pleasure cruise.

To move forward and get off this blasted thing, we had to simply shoot some stone weights to pull up a gate.

As soon as Nathan disembarks, enemies appear. Almost as if they were expecting us. Very convenient. They're even clever enough to use the moss (not the shotgun) to obscure our aiming. Those bastards!

After a good ol' shootout, I get a trophy! It's called Survivor, and it is awarded after killing 50 enemies without dying. That there is a trophy that congratulates you for not dying proves this isn't my usual game. The music calms and we can do some exploring. At least, after looting corpses and picking up stray bits of ammo everywhere, first.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20161001225734.jpg
    Nate clenches his fist in fury that his belt can only accommodate four grenades.

Nate does some climbing for us to get to the next area.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20161001230029.jpg
    While maintaining that strange half-tucked look the entire time.

To get past the locked gate, Nate simply climbs to the top of it. Surveying all that he sees, turns out we're in for another gunfight.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20161001230221.jpg
    Random weaponry? Check. Rectangular cover? Check. Enemies conspicuously out of view? Check.

There's another red shirted M-97 carrying person in this fight, but luckily there's more cover here than in the open water. There's plenty of cover here, so the battle was fun and thrilling, set against the rather stunning backdrop of the titular tower.

We enter the building. The inevitable happens.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20161001231429.jpg
    Regular mooks are blown away by Drake's manliness!

So to climb this tower, we have to move the chain to a certain position that allows us to climb higher, and also shows of Drake's impressive use of those ever-present hand cranks.

We eventually manage to scale the tower and zip-line (yes, clearly Raja's men set that up or the history books were way off) into the Customs House.

Uncharted™_ The Nathan Drake Collection_20161001232156.jpg
    Just wait until this island becomes a theme park.

Elena's outside, yapping about letting her in. We oblige, which sends us into the next chapter and into new territory. For you see, I never opened the door for Elena in my 'aborted' run all those many years ago, so this is breaking new ground for me. Stay tuned as we explore this building and rush headlong into the double figures.

Oh, and if you're wondering what happens if you attempt to leave Elena at the door and continue on your own?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never thought too much about that half-tucked look that Nate rocks. You'd think it would come all the way out at some point! I was always mightily relieved once the jet ski parts were over. Sometimes I could fly through them but other times it would take me forevvvvvver.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I never thought too much about that half-tucked look that Nate rocks. You'd think it would come all the way out at some point! I was always mightily relieved once the jet ski parts were over. Sometimes I could fly through them but other times it would take me forevvvvvver.
    Well, don't celebrate just yet there's still Chapter 12 to come with the jet-ski.