Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you think of Final Fantasy X?

Banned

Thumbs up What did you think of Final Fantasy X?

I ask this because, I just got done replaying it again, for the first time in a good few years. I still found it engrossing, the story very meaningful, the music wonderful, the summoning sequences beautiful, the FMVs spectacular, and the sphere grid fun to work with. At the end, when Yuna gives the last bit of her speech "Just one more thing..." and that music and the flashbacks play, I still had a very strong urge to cry.

Am I really the only one who thought FFX was absolutely great? I've seen a lot of negative comments toward it here and elsewhere. No, I wouldn't call it the best, and the voice acting/dialog leaves something to be desired at points, but aside of that I would still rate it as my third or fourth favorite RPG ever.

Anywho, yeah, what's your opinion on FFX?

Articles
    Blog Entries

It left a HUGE impact on me back then. It released at the perfect time - 1 year after the PS2 launched, so after the shortages and price gouging, when everyone was getting one. I couldn't wait to play it, I still remember reading the instruction manual in the car coming home from Wal Mart thinking "CTB? How the hell are they going to pull that off?"

I finally replayed it last year for the first time. I think it still stands up as an incredible gaming experience. I would absolutely say that graphics, technology, etc, have not really come that far since then. Looking at just that one waterfall on one of the first islands was a real sight to see.

Apart from its style, I really like the substance, too. The character development system is interesting, and like the best FF's, I pull something new out of it every time. I thought it had a great story with a cast who portrayed a lot of different emotions. I had forgotten the ending after all these years and it was extremely emotional for me the things that happen in the ending sequence(s). I would absolutely say it's one of the best games of the last decade.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I think my only gripe with FFX is the inability to skip its cut scenes!

I'm just in the middle of replaying this as well, and it's an absolutely class game, I really think square hit the nail on the head with this one. Brilliant story with some really memorable characters, aesthetically impressive, an emotive soundtrack and gameplay that I thought worked really well. It was a challenge all the way through, but never frustrating (with the obvious exceptions of some of the sidequests... lightning dodge grr...). But even in spite of some of the more ridiculous sidequests, I still think that on the whole they were pretty enjoyable and I just love the fact that there's so much to do and see and explore beyond what the game openly tells you to do. One of the best games i've ever played, i'd recommend it to anyone

As if my user name, etc isn't telling, IMO it is the best FF.

I think it has the best story and plot, best overall cast of characters (albeit a bit unfair, the voice acting helps bring them to life like never before), some of the best music (can't wait for Hamauzu's work on XIII), the best leveling system (love the sphere grid), tied for one of the best mini-games (blitzball ranks up there with Triple Triad and Sphere Break for me), and the second best battle system (behind FFX-2).

I love Spira; the mood, the atmosphere, the settings. If they had an MMO set in Spira, I'd play it in a heartbeat (provided they expanded the world).

I think it is as close to perfect as a FF game has come for me, without being perfect. My one major gripe about the game are some of the subquests: namely lightning dodging (worst conceived mini-game in all of FF) and some of the chocobo stuff.

As an aside, after all these years, I'll throw in that I think FFX-2 is highly underrated. Adult film actress Jenna Haze and Playboy model Jo Garcia think so too.
    "You may say that though Zanarkand is gone from this world, it lives on in the song."

Blog Entries

When it first came out, it wow-ed me for obvious reasons. Voice acting, non-pre-rendered backgrounds, Blitzball (yeah, I found it fun, so sue me).

But of all the FFs, I'm probably the most reluctant to play this again. Everything about it is so linear. Even the Sphere Grid is pointlessly straightforward, they might as well've just automatically unlocked abilities at certain levels rather than make you have to go to a menu, move a cursor to the one and only place it logically goes and press X. (I've never played with the Expert SG, so my criticism only extends to the normal one. If the Expert one allows more customisation with the characters, great!)

I did like Penance and the Dark Aeons though. That was a challenge.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I loved it. For a long time it was my favorite game. I loved it so much I played through it 13+ times. Because of that I love it slightly less now. Too much of a good thing, y'know

It was my first FF and I loved every minute of it. For me the music was one of my favorite aspects, I just found each piece to be extremely beautiful and emotional.

It was alright, it wasn't Square's best work.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I have fun when I play it, a good game in my opinion

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was friggin' amazing! The music, the cut scenes, the voice acting (well some of the voice acting), the graphics, the storyline, the locations, the leveling system wasn't booty like 8's, etc. Just a wonderful game imo.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Constantly quarrel with myself over if I like IX or X more. I still can't decide! I'd say X had more of an impact, though.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FFX was the first FF game I ever played, so I loved it, naturally. Now that I've played all of the other games in the series, I can look back and see FFX's flaws-- but I still find much of it enjoyable. I'm rather fond of the battle system in FFX over the ATB system.

To sum it up it's not my favorite, but I don't really dislike it either.

FFX-2, on the other hand, should not exist.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can never decide whether I like VII or X more but it's between those two. I absolutely love Final Fantasy X. It's one of the most beautiful game worlds I've ever seen, the combat system is perfect, I love most of the characters, both major and minor, and it has an obscene amount of content even in the US version. Though the EU version has the advanced sphere grid fgj.

On the other hand, FFVII has most of that stuff. But whereas X has butterflies and lightning smurfing dodging, VII has snowboarding and random submarine warfare, so VII wins the minigame contest by an enormous margin. And there's a stronger nostalgia factor. VII wasn't my first RPG or JRPG, but it's one of the most memorable and was an astounding demonstration of the PS1's technology.

I dunno which I prefer, but I guess you can gather that I adore FFX

Oh and FFX-2 was great, haters can hate.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Oh and FFX-2 was great, haters can hate.