Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever think of "Game Over" as the definite end of a game?

Banned

Default Do you ever think of "Game Over" as the definite end of a game?

This is something that I like doing in any game that can readily be beaten in a few hours;
    I do not allow myself to ever get a single Game Over, and if I get one, then that's it, and I have to restart the whole game.
    I think that this actually makes many games a lot more fun - not only does it make them more challenging, but it also makes you value every extra life a lot more.
    I usually try playing this way in platformers, and right now I consider attempting Mega Man 1 for the NES.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Do you ever think of the Game Over hole?

No. I never really done this. Though I remember a person telling me he didn't like games because you can restart from a game over and you can't do that with life, and that was a pretty stupid reason to hate video games. Maybe he'd like this!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Gods that would drive me insane if I did that.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, largely cause most of the games I play are super long, or come from the arcade age where they are ridiculously hard, and death is the status quo. You may regret it with MM1 man, its not the easiest game in the series.

The only time I ever did this rule, was not of my actual choosing though. In DDR, there is a mode where you can make your own playlist of songs, and its possible to make ones that have ten to twenty songs on them, which must be completed in one setting in order to get a good score. So that happened, but I really did enjoy the mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Me too. I'm just not good enough of a gamer to be able to completely avoid dying the whole way through a game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Me too. I'm just not good enough of a gamer to be able to completely avoid dying the whole way through a game.
    Dying is allowed, you just aren't allowed to get a single Game Over screen.

But yes, some games are too hard to be realistically beaten without getting any Game Overs at all - I tried this with R-Type 3 for the SNES some time ago, and I always got a Game Over at the third stage or something, so I eventually went "screw this" and continued on anyway.
    That game can in some sense be considered the shooter equivalent of Ghost'n Goblins for the NES - it immediately starts out as really hard, and when you have finally beaten the whole game you have this forced Second Quest thing (called "Advanced Mission" in this game) where you have to beat the whole game again a second time on a higher difficulty (faster enemies, more projectiles etc etc etc), as if the first playthrough wasn't brutal enough already.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it would be pretty easy to do this challenge with Beyond: Two Souls because I don't think there's any way to get a game over in that. The game just goes in an infinite loop until you achieve what it wants you to do. That's kind of disappointing, actually.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Slightly unrelated but I did attempt a no-death run of Super Mario World once. As in, get all 96 exits without dying.

I completed everything (including Star and Special Road) and just had the Bowser's Castle stage to do. I got to 91 exits and was killed by a Monty Mole.

#neverforgetneverforgive

Pic 3.png

i do that with fighting games, if i get a "you lose" i never continue but start over even if i plan to choose the same fighter i just lost with... oddly it's something i picked up when Arcades existed...

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You would hate rogue-likes then.

Which are the only games where I accept the game over.. for the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    You may regret it with MM1 man, its not the easiest game in the series.
    I tried that game a moment ago, I actually made it pretty far before I got a Game Over (3rd boss in Dr. Wily's fortress).
    It was pretty exciting, I will give it another attempt tomorrow.

Some of the robot master stages become much easier if you use the right weapons.
    For example, Elec Man's stage pretty much assumes that you use Rolling Cutter, which makes that entire stage, boss and all, much easier.
    Also, Ice Man can be a pain, but only if you haven't already beaten Elec Man, which gives you access both to the M tool and Ice Man's weakness Thunder Beam.
    I also feel that Fire Man's weapon Fire Storm is a bit underrated, the fire shield effect is awesome.

A lot of people seem to think of Bomb Man as the ideal opening stage, but I don't quite agree about that - it has a few sections where it's very easy to die if you are not careful, especially at that part with the enemies that come flying right above a bunch of spikes.
    I would say that Cut Man is a more ideal first stage - Cut Man is a fairly easy boss, and the stage itself doesn't really have any dangerous sections.
    I usually choose the bosses in the order Cut/Guts/Bomb/Elec/Ice/Fire if I want to avoid dying as much as possible, otherwise my standard order is Cut/Guts/Bomb/Ice/Fire/Elec.
    The latter actually feels like a very natural order to me - one that I would expect to see in the game if it had a set boss order.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 08-11-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, I can complete Dungeon and Dragons, Shadow over Mystara in a single playthrough without dying.

I did that back in the era of Arcade and all the other kids were worshipping me.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Remember that dude who completed DS 1, 2, and 3 without a single hit?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by A Pint of Quinness View Post
    Remember that dude who completed DS 1, 2, and 3 without a single hit?
    That dude! That was the day I felt I met God!

I wish I can suck his godliness away from him thru the monitor.