Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is making an account for Square Enix so complicated?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know anything. That's why I'm asking questions. Every time you guys applied logic and reasoning to your post in a discussion I've stopped. Because I couldn't debunk you. I learned and grew accordingly. That's what I'm doing here. Trying to learn and grow accordingly. I don't claim to know anything.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

How would the computer know whether you simply added a period too many, or forgot something else in the address? Other possible domains are com.com, or com.uk, for example. Adding another period tells the program/web page that it should expect even more letters. Maybe you forgot a second com instead?

Syntax exists to weed out misunderstandings. You couldn't end it with a period because it opens up for more possible mistakes to be made. If not by you, by others. There is no spell check on email addresses because there are literally thousands of weird combinations that look like typos but are in fact valid addresses.

To a human, it's not very difficult to figure out that when someone says "my address is ayen at gemail com", they really meant "ayen@gmail.com", just because that's a very common email provider. However, there are addresses such as ayenat@gemail.com" too, and this person would be pretty pissed if everytime they tried to enter their email address, it would be stored as "ayen@gmail.com" instead.
    Last edited by Mirage; 07-04-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

But spellcheckers don't work with emails because it's up to the user what they put in as an email address?

madeupnonsense.a.b.c.d.e.blergahlot@...per.mail.co.uk could be a valid email address which fails a spellcheck. Should that just be rejected outright because it failed a spellcheck? Because it has more periods in it than expected?

This program is designed to just send an email to whatever email address the user inputs. It is up to the user to make sure that is correct, not the program.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only way the computer could ever make that kind of judgment is if it had consciousness. But you can't give a computer consciousness, that only thing happens in Sci-Fi. It would need a human to assist if you go that far, but humans can't be online 24/7 for obvious reasons, unless you replaced them with more machines but that gets you back in the same area. There's no logical way to win.

I'm starting to understand.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Just because it's a computer doesn't mean it has to be smart. This sort of system is designed to be simple and stupid, so that it itself will make minimal errors.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was assuming it had to be smart based on ignorance. I was making an excuse not to play my part without fully realizing it. All I had to do was correct the information and I'd be playing the game instead of having this conversation. The answer was staring me in the face the whole time. I'm going to reapply at a later date and play some FFXIV.

Thanks, guys. I think I just need to go to college. I'm working on a high school diploma from a home school.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make sure to pick Sargatanas as your server! It's in the Aether data center. Then we can play together if you ever want to!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Technology and I are still at a misunderstanding.

I've narrowed it down to a security question. One word. I eliminated periods, extra space, and all lower case letters as the cause. What am I missing?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Don't you get any kind of error message?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!