View Poll Results: Which stance do you take on this "Superheroes and Society Question?"

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • With great power comes great responsibility.

3 50.00%
  • You don't owe this world a thing, you never did.

3 50.00%

Thread: Uncle Ben vs. Ma Kent

Default Uncle Ben vs. Ma Kent

Just finished watching Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut. Liked it a lot. Batman was a bit of a dope but oh well. His Fatal Flaw was believable enough.

But one aspect of it I want to address with all of you is this.

What obligation do superheroes have to society? Does their superhuman power mean that they should do things lesser people don't have to? If you or I saw someone being mugged or a robbery taking place, no one would blame us if we didn't play hero and rush in to save the victim because more than likely we'd just die ourselves or make things worse.

Spider-Man and Superman and other superheroes? They don't seem to have it so easy. By merely existing as they do, people heap expectations upon them. But is that really fair?

Which side do you take?

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    If you or I saw someone being mugged or a robbery taking place, no one would blame us if we didn't play hero and rush in to save the victim because more than likely we'd just die ourselves or make things worse.
    You clearly don't know me very well.

Superheroes don't owe more than anyone else from a percentage standpoint, but they owe substantially more than others in terms of raw amount provided.

Everyone owes a burden to society at some level. Whether that is paying society back for what they have used, or merely a social/moral obligation of support for their fellow human beings.

The amount you owe is influenced largely by the amount you are capable of providing.

It is, of course, also dictated by the person's own morals and ethics. Which is why Superman never did use his unlimited energy to power a generator so we would never be without electricity again. He believed that he could be of greater use, despite evidence to the contrary, arguing from a different moral perspective.

Each person, superhero or not, has to make this own determination for themselves.

Others may judge you for it, but so what?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't owe nothing.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'd save everyone.