Thread: Star Ocean V

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Default Star Ocean V

Has anyone else picked this up yet? I bought the Day One Edition at GameStop on Saturday. Got 5-6 hours on it so far. I'm really, really liking it and only have a few complaints. First, I want to say how much better the voice acting is in this game than the previous one. I ended up skipping almost all of the story screens on IV just because they were so poorly acted/scripted.

My biggest complaint about the game is that it's 2016 and this is a PS4 and they still can't show the items that are equipped on the characters. Radiata Stories (one of my favorite PS2 games I wish would get a remaster/sequel) was doing this on the PS2. One of my favorite things about Star Ocean is how much detail they put into the weapons and the armor and it kills me when they don't make use of them on the character models. I would very much like to see the awesome sword I bought/synthed on Fidel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't picked it up yet but I'm looking forward to trying it in the future. Glad you're enjoying it!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Has anyone else picked this up yet? I bought the Day One Edition at GameStop on Saturday. Got 5-6 hours on it so far. I'm really, really liking it and only have a few complaints. First, I want to say how much better the voice acting is in this game than the previous one. I ended up skipping almost all of the story screens on IV just because they were so poorly acted/scripted.

My biggest complaint about the game is that it's 2016 and this is a PS4 and they still can't show the items that are equipped on the characters. Radiata Stories (one of my favorite PS2 games I wish would get a remaster/sequel) was doing this on the PS2. One of my favorite things about Star Ocean is how much detail they put into the weapons and the armor and it kills me when they don't make use of them on the character models. I would very much like to see the awesome sword I bought/synthed on Fidel.
    The lack of visible gear might be because the game was made on a very tight budget and within a very short time. Or just an artistic choice. FF13 was high budget and they didn't care about it either.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I didn't know it was a rush game. I don't have many complaints with the game so far and I'm loving it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Huh, I thought EOFF didn't like the Star Ocean series.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

From whom did you get that impression?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I picked it up at the weekend. I'll get round to it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    From whom did you get that impression?
    There's little threads about this series on here and in that thread about the "censoring" of the NA and EU versions, a couple people said they don't really care about the series.

I used to be pretty hyped for this, but after hearing the impressions from my friend who played the Japanese version and seeing footage of it in action... I'm barely interested at all. I like me some Star Ocean - adored Till the End of Time and I'll even defend The Last Hope. But other than the big seamless battles I'm not seeing much that appeals to me from the latest one. Certainly it can wait until I finish Zestiria