Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Nah, TS works excellently for us, we don't have a reason to change. There would have to be something pretty wrong with TS for us to justify getting every FC member to get a new program, not to mention setting it up on the EoFF server.
    Discord is free, you don't need to setup a server, and it can be run from the browser or an .exe or even as a phone app. It also has a far more robust chat system than Facebook too.

I was super stubborn about it for ages thinking "I already have Ventrilo, Mumble, Teamspeak and Skype for the different groups I'm in - why do I need another one?" honestly since switching to Discord I haven't looked back.

I can honestly liken it to when I made the jump from ICQ to MSN Messenger back in the back day, Vent/TS/Mumble just seem ancient in comparison now. Much like ICQ seemed cumbersome compared to MSN back in the day.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I only use Facebook messenger, and sometimes (but very rarely) What's App.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 07-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Right, I do also use Discord but only for a Dragon Age chatroom because I am a gigantic loser.

+1 for discord. It's really handy to have all of my game communities separate, but kept in a centralized space

Whenever I work in an office environment one of my first tasks is downloading a messenger if the company doesn't already have one and to get office mates on. To me, it's so much better than calling someone across the hall to ask a question, or to keep stress down by sharing inside jokes with coworkers. With messengers I can just write a sentence or two, no need to try and fill phone conversation.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

I mainly use Skype or Discord, but even they are mainly used as game communication. I think Facebook is my biggest communication platform these days.

Blog Entries

I sometimes have a look on Skype, but very rarely. FB Messenger is a necessary evil.
    I sort of use Hangouts, for 2 reasons 1) to be able to send picture messages with my parents (they're on iOS, I'm on Android - HO being a cross-platform alternative to iMessage) without it costing 40p a go. 2) Being that Niantic is closely tied to Google, people tend to use Hangouts for Ingress and Pokemon Go related chats. But I otherwise try to avoid getting involved with it.

I really kind of dislike IM and try to avoid them but they're ubiquitous so it's hard to. I'm the sort of person who wants to be pottering about doing multiple things or just watching some episode of something (uninterrupted!) on a whim which really conflicts with the IM etiquette of answering immediately, giving single individuals undivided attention and saying "BRB" whenever you go and do something (which would be a lot of BRBs). I'm also somewhat introverted, which feeds into that. And not being a brilliant conversationalist, I hate 'wasting' a couple of hours trying to force a conversation with one person (but I do quite like group IMs that you sometimes get on Skype and Hangouts. I can lurk those, and chime in with a pun now and then)

However I do get the odd person who for reasons that completely baffle me, seem to enjoy talking to me and get really keen to have some form of instant communication going. For those I direct them to Facebook Messenger, while warning them that I'm quite anti-IM and might not answer right away (and have every available privacy feature like hidden 'seen' status enabled), and suggesting that it's not taken personally.
    In another case we compromised and chat over Twitter DMs which have less of the instantaneous / presence stuff to them.