View Poll Results: Which of these two heroines from FFVI is your personal favorite?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Celes

13 38.24%
  • Terra

15 44.12%
  • I'm not gonna choose!

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celes vs. Terra Showdown

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Celes vs. Terra Showdown

Which of these two heroines from FFVI is your personal favorite?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I likes "seals".

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i prefer terra as a person. but im gonna have to say celes for bringing me through the game my first time. well i had terra too but celes was better

I like Terra just a little bit better. They both had their good moments, but I feel I'm able to connect with Terra better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Terra's writing is kinda "wow I am so sad" at times but I find her and her storyline compelling. She has a lovely design too!

Also first (and best) female protagonist.

It's very hard to choose because they're both in my favorite female characters, but I have to go with Celes. I really love her story and her personality.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    I like Terra just a little bit better. They both had their good moments, but I feel I'm able to connect with Terra better.
    Everything about this. Celes is still a amazing character though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Terra's writing is kinda "wow I am so sad" at times but I find her and her storyline compelling. She has a lovely design too!

The question whether Terra is a protagonist or not is highly controversial, lol.
    According to SquareSoft, FF6 is supposed to have an ensemble cast, with no particular leading protagonist.

However, I think it is pretty hard to deny the fact that Terra does have a highly central role throughout most of WoB - she is this special person with special powers who everyone relies on, and she even shows up in the ending scene even if you don't recruit her in WoR.
    So she at least comes very close to being a protagonist.

But then again, a lot of FF games have some sort of ensemble cast;
    for example, in FF Tactics you could say that Delita is at least as much of a main character as Ramza, and in FF10 there seems to be a lot of focus on Yuna.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

They are basically the exact same, but Morph is more useful then Runic so I went with Terra. However Relm is the powerhouse of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post

The question whether Terra is a protagonist or not is highly controversial, lol.
    According to SquareSoft, FF6 is supposed to have an ensemble cast, with no particular leading protagonist.

However, I think it is pretty hard to deny the fact that Terra does have a highly central role throughout most of WoB - she is this special person with special powers who everyone relies on, and she even shows up in the ending scene even if you don't recruit her in WoR.
    So she at least comes very close to being a protagonist.

But then again, a lot of FF games have some sort of ensemble cast;
    for example, in FF Tactics you could say that Delita is at least as much of a main character as Ramza, and in FF10 there seems to be a lot of focus on Yuna.
    In FFT Delita is definitely the deuteragonist with Ramza as the clear protagonist (with Ovelia being a debatable tritagonist, I guess?), if you want to get technical. It's harder to determine a protagonist, deuteragonist, or tritagonist in FFVI due to the sheer amount of characters that are all relevant to the plot. I'd say they actually succeeded in making a truly ensemble cast.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Terra has the better story and character arc. While I still enjoy Celes immensely and she is certainly attached to my favorite moment in the game, reading background notes about how her story was meant to be made me feel she was poorly utilized and only got upgraded to major character status due to Kitase taking a liking to her. Mechanically, they are the same, though Morph/Trance is a much more useful move than Runic, that's largely made moot by game mechanics anyways, so they are still roughly the same.

I prefer Terra. Celes is great and all, she really gets some great moments in the WOR. Terra is just an amazing character though, I gotta pick her.

I pick Terra I think she is a strong fighter. I like how she is not so sure about herself at first. Since she plays such an important part of the game I choose her.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post

However, I think it is pretty hard to deny the fact that Terra does have a highly central role throughout most of .
    Terra is the Aang of Final Fantasy. Both storylines kind of are so much focused on keeping the other characters extremely high up when it comes to relevance that they could easily also have some main character potential (and I would say Katara, Sokka and Toph are way more relevant as characters and not just mere sidekicks while even characters like Locke and Celes could be said to have only smaller story arcs) but if we really want to classify some then we end up more leaning towards Terra and Aang.
    To answer the original question: Terra.