Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Final Fantasy XVI were a retro title?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom What if Final Fantasy XVI were a retro title?

Let's just pretend for the sake of argument, that Square-Enix decided to make the sixteenth installment of the franchise into a honest to goodness retro title? I'm not talking about something like FFIX where the game has call backs to older titles but still presented as a modern FF, nor am I talking about I am Setsuna which is pretty similar. I'm saying that the trailer is an actual 8-bit graphics style title a la Mega Man 9 and 10 infamy. It would still have a plot and characters, as well as a more involved customization system (think FFV) but the presentation would be pure Famicom/NES with dungeons, music, and the like being closer to the earliest entries.

How would you feel about this?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    How would you feel about this?

But seriously, I would be both excited and concerned. Excited because I love this stuff and would be interested to see how it works with modern systems. Concerned because such a drastic reversal has the potential to put off a lot of young gamers who aren't used to such a graphical downgrade and can look down upon FFVII graphics, let alone 8-bit like the NES had. It would be interesting to see how Square would market such an endeavor if it was to happen.

I would also be concern because as much as I love 8-bit games, I'm kind of bad at them

I would really enjoy that. I really enjoy playing the old FF games because of their simplicity and the graphics have a certain charm about them too.

Personally, when I think retro RPGs, my mind goes to 16 Bit, not 8 Bit. Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Super Mario RPG...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i think id prefer 16 bit but it sounds great regardless

I would struggle. It's not a style I'm particularly keen on, and I came into gaming very much in the Playstation era.

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy it - I play a bunch of games created in a retro style. But I wouldn't vote for it given the choice!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm cool with it, but a big company like this probably won't due it. You have to move forward, not backward, but if it was me I would do it just to be different from the rest of the pack.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Personally, when I think retro RPGs, my mind goes to 16 Bit, not 8 Bit. Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Super Mario RPG...
    "Retro" I feel comes down to what you played the most of in your formative years, but I chose 8-bit cause there are enough old farts who grew up in the 16-bit era who wouldn't have a problem with it, so I felt 8-bit would make them think harder about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If go for 16-bit as well

Anyway, this may be slightly off-topic, but DQ XI seems to be going this route with the 3DS version where you can choose between a 3D look and classic 8-but. It'd be cool to see FF do domething similar

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I would happily give them my money for such a game. Hell, I would even preorder it. And maybe even buy some ...DLC.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I think, no matter if people would like it there would be so many people complaining about it looking like that that it would never come out like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Perhaps it would work better if they were to port it on handheld devices like the 3DS and PSVita because of the smaller screens. Typically, when an old game is re-released from the 8 bit era that's the platform they go to, so it could work the same for a game bringing 8-bits back. At that point they may not be opposed to putting it on mobile, either, since it's a pretty big thing in Japan and a lot of people over there may immensely enjoy being able to play a main entry FF game on the go (I know some on this forum wouldn't be opposed to it, either), assuming they're not as bothered by the graphics as some in the west would be.

Of course, considering how far handheld gaming have come over the years, you'd still have your naysayers, and console purists would look down on it, but it'd probably look better on a smaller screen than it would on your TV or computer monitor. Though if Square ever did go this route people would suspect it's because an earlier game didn't perform that well, I'd imagine.

I wouldn't be excited. I've seen quite a few "throwback" games so far and they never really capture whatever it was that 8- and 16-bit games offered. You could call it nostalgia I guess? I don't think that's what it is though. Something else.

Anyway, just my experience with such games already I would prefer they didn't do that. Just let Ito make something kthx

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I would be pretty excited. Those are some of my favorite versions of the FF series.

oh gawd no, not the sound at least, that midi flute on the first FF on NES was an ear bleeder... 16-bit graphics i have no problems with, 8 gets into the iffy area, though i played many hours on Adventure on the Atari2600 i'm not sure i could do something like that again...