Thread: Merrill or Tali?

Default Merrill or Tali?

A thread elsewhere recently devolved into discussion about DAI Companions and a guy said he really liked Sera but didn't like Merrill or Isabela from DA2. I compared Sera to a hellish fusion of Merrill and Isabela - moor-mouth "cutesy" type who doesn't listen to anyone and has a rather vulgar sense of humor. (really hate Sera, she has superficial trappings of those two but nothing about what made me like them)

Now, if you think that comparison is wrong, that's fine. The topic I was reminded of was the guy rebutting with how Merrill was not like Sera. He said Merrill was tailored to invoke feelings of protectiveness in players. This observation has been made on here in the past too during various Merrill arguments. People saying feeling protective about your romance is not good for....some reason.

But this discussion and comparison made me think of another BW character - one Tali of Mass Effect game. I have never liked or cared about her whatsoever. A guy elsewhere asked if I had any younger siblings and said Tali is written a lot like "a little sister." Again, writing intended to conjure up instinctive/impulsive feelings of protectiveness.

So, the question. Who did you feel more attached to and why?

For me, Merrill was everything Tali failed to be. Funny, cute, sympathetic - I love her in a way I don't any of the other DA companions, even the ones I really like. Her story is of wanting desperately to help, to do the right thing, but being attacked by the people she's trying to help due to their own bigotry and ignorance. It's tragic but ultimately unavoidable because some people are so hateful they'd rather destroy themselves than receive help.

Meanwhile, Tali rates down there with Samara and ME1 Kaiden in the "I couldn't care less" category. She just never had anything about her I found sympathetic or interesting. Her situation might have been worsened by the fact I hate her race. (easiest choice in the whole series come ME3. Geth all the way)

But that's me. How about you all?

EDIT:
    D'oh! Meant to do a poll but oh well.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Tali is in all three ME games and Merrill is only in one DA game, so I naturally bonded with Tali more. I also like her better and I like the story of the nomadic Quarians. I never really had a romantic interest in Tali. I tried to romance Merrill because I thought it would be funny but I guess I messed up at some point because the game wouldn't allow it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Merrill is perfect in every way. She has cute pointy ears, cute vallaslin, and a cute accent and she says cute things like "I think I saw sparrows in the rafters!" and I want to marry her IRL. We'll be girlfriends and live with the Dalish together.

~*~CUTEST MOST PERFECT BLOOD MAGE~*~

Some people say they don't like Merrill but I will never understand them

EDIT: idgaf about Sera, Solas is the best egg in DAI. I mean best elf.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tali is great. But Merrill is actual perfection.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Solas is the best egg in DAI.
    You want the egg...

to to have your eggs?

image.png

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I LOVE THE EGG OKAY. we are going to destroy Thedas together.