Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Fury watches...... Cardcaptor Sakura!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Night Fury watches...... Cardcaptor Sakura!

The secrets of the Clow will be secret no more as I embark on a journey into my childhood to rewatch my favourite anime of all time.... Cardcaptor Sakura!

In case you're wondering, that's 70 episodes, 3 specials, and 2 movies! That's a buttload of anime for a gal like me.

I'll be writing a recap and mini review of each episode in this here thread! Expect the unexpected now, etc etc. Expect a lot of fangirling, drooling over the card art, and Kiro related lels!

Comment and follow along if you want I guess, I mean aye go on!
    You can even watch it with me!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Man I love CCS. I will be checking this out. Good luck!

Will this be original Japanese or English?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have actually only ever seen the english as it was a show I watched on kids tv.

So, I shall be hopping over to the original for this - to save me being stoned by you anime puritans too!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Good. Good.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ahhh excellent! Much of this series is on YouTube!

Watching first one now.... first review incoming!

You know my friend is a crazy CCS fan and I have not yet gotten around to it. ...I feel like this is a good opportunity to do so.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Episode 1!

So, obviously the first episode has to establish all of our characters and give us the basic gist of the plot! So we have Sakura who lives with her brother and father - mother mysteriously died! She's 10 years old and an excellent student that her peers look up to. ESPECIALLY her best friend Tomoyo who I'm pretty sure fancies Sakura as she likes to film her etc.

Sakura has a MAJOR crush on her brother's pal, Yukito who has a bit of a girl voice and throws her candy and trout while riding a bike casually through the school gates.

It's all cute and tee-hee until Sakura discovers The Clow in her house and accidentally harnesses that power of The Windy card which blows them all away. Kiro pops out of the book and is all like 'we need to go get them back' and all of a sudden a GIANT BIRD THAT NOBODY ELSE SEES is flying about. It's The Fly. Sakura manages to capture it back and all is well!

It definitely reminds me all over again of why I love this anime. It's so cute and features a lot of gorgeous drawings of the card creatures. The magic involved is brilliant too and I can see why I loved watching it while I was 10 - who wouldn't want to be the Card Captor?!

Episode 1 was fun and it still looks good considering it's from the late 90s. Before the world had discovered widescreen. They were dark times...

I was surprised she did the whole thing in her pajamas. I was expecting the whole frilly dress transformation situation once she got the staff. But it's cool. Pajamas + roller blades is a good combination. You know I've never been able to roller blade so she's already far more suited for cardcaptoring duties than I would be.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Her roller blading skills are epic. I'm impressed by those alone!

Oh don't worry the super cute outfits are coming up, courtesy of Tomoya

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Her roller blading skills are epic. I'm impressed by those alone!

Oh don't worry the super cute outfits are coming up, courtesy of Tomoya
    I like Tomoya a lot already. She's my kind of slightly creepy and obsessive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Tomo is wonderful. She is kind of creepy, but she has a good heart. All the characters are like that though, such good people all round.

Glad you're in on the watch, Fox! Matt and I are genuinely surprised that you've not watched this before (not that Matt has any right to say anything, since he watched it for the first time a few months ago).

WINDY steals the show forever.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Episode 2!

Okay, so in episode two we start off with Sakura meeting Tomo in school and the lil creep had filmed her escapades flying in front of the moon from the night before. So now Tomo is in on the secret! Throughout the episode we see shadows creeping away from the schoolkids.... ooooh, this must be the SHADOW CARD! The shadow is a little git and trashes the school, so Sakura has no choice but to get it back the next night!

She's proper scared - Tomo and Kiro are fine, and they seem to be best friends by now. Tomo pulls up with her bodyguards and a camper van full of CUTE OUTFITS! Including little accessories for Kiro (which he loves btw, like I said. Bessies.)

Sakura flip flops around before managing to get the Shadow card with the help of WINDY and THE FLY! Woohooooo!

Can I just say as well, this episode was actually pretty scary! The way the shadows were animated was ominous and this might have creeped some kids out back in the day!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Episode 3!

Now this episode I watched in english because I want to see how well it translates.

In the dubbed version, Tomo (aka Maddison) is not creepy at all. Apparently us lot in the West aren't to fond of creepy school girls. I definitely missed her 'Japanese' personality in this version. Even her voice in the dub is just boring as smurf.

Anyway, so they're on a school visit to the aquarium looking at the penguins - it all KICKS OFF and WHOOOSH there's a whirlpool trying to drown the penguin trainer - (there's a seaworld joke here somewhere...). Who will save the day? Definitely not Sakura because she's so dumb and doesn't realise that MYSTICAL WHIRLPOOL = CLOW CARD. *facepalm*

No, it's actually Sakura's brother who apparently works in the centre. He dives in and saves them all! Nice one onii-san! (is that right?)

Anyway, the penny FINALLY drops after a while and Kiro informs Sakura she must use her allies! The first three (and only cards) she captured. WINDY, FLY, SHADOW. She must pair up two of them to take down the elemental and dangerous WATERY card.

Sakura goes to do some recon at the Aquarium and bumps into Julian - I mean Yuki! Heh, he buys her ice cream and suddenly the WATERY strikes again, almost drowning Sakura until Yuki reks a door with an axe.

ICE CREAM gives Sakura an idea of how to capture the WATERY card.

Yes, it includes blowing it down to the freezer while flying.

Ding ding, WATERY obtained!

I'm all aboard the Tomo train! CHOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aww man, I love the theme song! Where can I watch this??

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's all on Youtube!

A lot of the dubbed episodes are split into two parts sadly, but this user seems to have all of it with English subs! It's also better, a lot better than the dub!