View Poll Results: Who will win the Premier League?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leicester

0 0%
  • Man Utd

3 30.00%
  • Man City

3 30.00%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Spurs

2 20.00%
  • Liverpool

1 10.00%
  • Chelsea

1 10.00%
  • Surprise Team

0 0%
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151929 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-17 English Football Season Thread

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dear lord, goes to show what happens if you take out Blind. No oversight in the defense, De Gea had no chance stopping the balls.

The last penalty was kind of hilarious though. The guy wanted to run after the ball, looked at it, and then an immediate change of face and slammed into the ground.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

RIP Wayne Rooney.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    RIP Wayne Rooney.
    He can start an ''old-man'' club with Zlatan and they can talk to each other while they don't move anywhere.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mourinho out.

Articles

I know you mean it facetiously but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask whether he is as good a manager as he was, say, ten years ago. Not a bad manager, certainly, and indeed still a damn good one but after the unmitigated disaster that Chelsea had last season he doesn't seem quite right. The old Mourinho would've dropped Rooney in a heartbeat - look at how he wasn't afraid to drop huge names at Real like Casillas. Chelsea seems to have scarred him after he basically lost the entire dressing room.

In some ways I'm reminded of Wenger, which I don't think either man will thank me for. He was cutting edge and dominant in his time, but he hasn't changed and adapted as the game has. You compare that to Ferguson who was a phenomenon precisely because he reinvented and rebuilt his United side to be successful in different eras with some really different styles of play.

Time will tell I suppose and despite the crap week I still think United are dead certs to make the top four and will still challenge for the title.

Blog Entries

Well at least it looks like we'll still be playing at a higher level than Cardiff next season

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To be fair to Mou, I'd say that he's done his fair share of using different styles as Real Madrid certainly didn't play the same way as Inter Milan - at least, to my knowledge.

But yeah, I've always said that I am wary of Mourinho as a manager of United. Still, he is the manager, and I'm willing to give anyone time to prove themselves.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Did he? I thought he played the standard Mourinho 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1/whatever you want to call it wherever he went.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/...from-mourinho/
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2013/05/...tmund-tactics/

Come to think of it it's the same for Rafa, he plays the exact same way. The pair of them had a lot of success at the same time and even managed a lot of the same clubs. Neither has hit the heights they did previously in recent years though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

All I know is that the team I saw at Real Madrid was way different to the team I saw at Chelsea. I'm talking personnel as much as anything. Formation is important, sure, but the players will always dictate tactics. I mean, how many goals did strikers score for Mourinho at Chelsea? How many at Inter? Real? I'm confident the outcomes will be pretty different, yet all were effective. That's down to tactics.

Regardless, though, as much as I was/am wary of Mourinho, I rolled my eyes the moment we lost our third game and the media jumped on the "Mourinho has lost it!" bandwagon, after our early wins gave us a "Mourinho will take United to the title!" stuff. Just like with Moyes and LVG, give the bloody guy some time to see how he actually manages in the long run before you jump to conclusions.

There are also so many people who were crying about how he always says "the players" and "they" when we draw/lose, but "we" when we win. But any time an article quotes him saying "they" when we win or "we" when we lose? Nowhere to be seen. Every game.

But hey, median and fans are always gonna be fickle as hell.

Happy to give Mourinho a season before I really go crazy on my opinion on him. Also, some players will thrive under some managers, while some will falter. Cases in point: Januzaj under Moyes then LVG. LVG was also great at youth so that wasn't an excuse. Januzaj simply didn't work for him. And that's okay - sometimes you just have to let a player go to a different club in order for him to get the gametime and confidence they need. That's football. We'll have to wait and see who really does do well under Mourinho. I think at the moment everyone is waiting for the moment when Rooney is dropped, but I'm not sold that the replacements are going to be all that much better just yet. Time will tell. I mean, who do you put in his position? Mata? He's not been much better than Rooney this season, even when given the chance to play in that position. Pogba? Perhaps, but no matter what he does people will focus on the price tag and call him a flop because no midfielder can "prove" their £89m worth. Who else? Mickey? Maybe. He seems like he needs more time though, he was horrible when he started against City. Awful.

I'd love to see what happens if we get a front three of Martial-Rashford-Lingard like we sometimes did last season because the pace rocked a lot of sides. Not sure it'll happen while Ibra is banging in goals though - and fair enough, I guess.

I'm genuinely unsure how I'd play our team at the moment. I see the potential for a lot of formations but I genuinely don't have a clue what our best side would be.

Articles

You still love Lingard? I would've thought the disaster of a game he had at Man City has proven he's way out of his depth at this level. Sorry Daniel but he'll be at somewhere like West Ham or Sunderland by this time next year, quote this post with mockery if I'm wrong!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

One bad game on the wrong side of the pitch (he's a right midfielder, not a left on) and he's bad? He scored in the last two games he started before that one!

Articles

Well, we'll see, eh?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FWIW, I've never felt he was a Ronaldo, but I do feel he has proven himself on the right side of midfield time and time again as a chance creator and taker. As for him being sold, I wouldn't be shocked because Mourinho will favour Mata and Mickey, but I don't think that would reflect on his ability so much as Mourinho's preference for players with famous names.

Lingard I feel is most certainly capable of performing to the level of Fletcher, Park, etc. in big games and little ones alike. He won't be super famous, but he will be far more consistent than the likes of, say, Nani or Depay.

Articles

Dunno, Jose seems to have taken a shine to Bailly and Rashford. He all but named Lingard as someone who disappointed him after the City game though, and barring injuries I don't think you'll be seeing much of him outside the cups and maybe off the bench.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Bailly is a player he purchased, and for a good amount, too, so that's a no-brainer. Mickey has apparently not been match fit hence his lack of starts, and Mou wanted to prove to the fans that he would play Mata to try and play down their inability to work together or whatever. Otherwise, he's played all his purchases pretty much every game. I have little to complain about with Bailly, regardless. Mickey has yet to show his ability. Hopefully he won't be another Kagawa, struggling in the move from German to English football...

In fact, because Lingard is not a big name and Mickey is arguably the only player who performed worse than Lingard against City, I imagine we'll ignore the fact that Lingard has been great in all his other games while Mickey has continued to struggle, but will get untold amounts more chances. Also, he all but called out Shaw twice (and specifically him rather than both Lingard and Mickey vs. City) for our most recent game. Do we think that's the end of Shaw? Hell no. It's a fame thing, I really do believe it. By all accounts, Lingard proved himself last season to be a very good player on the right wing, and when combined with Rashford up front and Martial on the left we had fast, attacking talents on all three fronts. Lingard isn't as good as the other two but that's like saying Fletcher wasn't as good as Scholes. You need both kind of players. I don't want us to become Galacticos.

Again, noting Lingard was on the left vs. City when he is a right side winger - I've never seen him on the left before. He looked uncomfortable from the start. Meanwhile, he played the full game vs. City in March when we beat them at their ground, so he's capable at this level, yeah.

EDIT: To be clear, I agree we probably won't see much of him outside of cups and off the bench. I don't think that's a reflection on his ability but Mourinho's trust in young, home grown talents, especially those without a big name. The fact that Rashford has had to force his way into the side through the England U-21 side is another reflection of this.