Thread: Pokemon Go

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, if the in app radar actually worked it wouldn't have been needed. Before the update I manged to reach level 20 with 80 in my 'dex. Over halfway there!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Do you think they rushed the production of this game then? Because while plenty of people are enjoying it, I'm hearing so many (reasonable) complaints as well.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh for sure. They even said this isn't 10% of the game. Why release only 10% of the game? How could they not have expected the Gen 1 Hype. It was called Pokemania for a reason!

The biggest issue I have with niantic in the whole thing is the radio silence. Nothing. They just remove things and nothing. Their PR is horrible and it's making it worse.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Do you think they rushed the production of this game then? Because while plenty of people are enjoying it, I'm hearing so many (reasonable) complaints as well.
    Well the version that exists right now is 0.31. It's not even version 1. I think they had something workable and wanted to release it as sort of a trial run and didn't expect the popularity it got.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Oh for sure. They even said this isn't 10% of the game. Why release only 10% of the game? How could they not have expected the Gen 1 Hype. It was called Pokemania for a reason!

The biggest issue I have with niantic in the whole thing is the radio silence. Nothing. They just remove things and nothing. They're PR is horrible and it's making it worse.
    https://www.nianticlabs.com/jobs/
    Global Community Manager, Pokémon GO

Someone needs to take this job. FAST.

I mean, PokeVision was clearly cheating, so it's not surprising they took it down. It's dumb that they removed tracking instead of fixing it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I mean, PokeVision was clearly cheating, so it's not surprising they took it down. It's dumb that they removed tracking instead of fixing it, though.
    I think it's quite likely that they are currently "fixing" it. Though, since they haven't said anything, that could just be wishful thinking.

Again, this is why they need to say something.

This app was a huge success, but if they don't start talking to alleviate some fears, it is going to crash just as fast as it exploded. They really can't afford to wait. They need to start talking NOW. Before people get tired of waiting and quit. Because a lot of them won't go back.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

The biggest issue I have with niantic in the whole thing is the radio silence. Nothing. They just remove things and nothing. They're PR is horrible and it's making it worse.

Sadly I don't have my BA in Communications. I wasn't able to finish my degree for it Stupid health issues. That'd be a fun job I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Sadly I don't have my BA in Communications. I wasn't able to finish my degree for it Stupid health issues. That'd be a fun job I bet!
    Eh, if that's the only problem with it: Apply anyway.

If you've already gotten an Associate's, you can list the BA as "in progress" on your resume. You might be surprised how often the "Requirements" are actually just what they are looking for in an ideal candidate, and how open companies (especially smaller companies, like Niantic) will be to negotiation. If the location isn't a problem, and you fulfill the rest, I'd say give it a shot.

What's the worse that can happen? They don't hire you. Which is no different from not applying.

Never be afraid to apply to a position you don't technically qualify for. As long as you think you can do it and you think you can convince them you can do it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree regarding what Skyblade said.

I think the reason they haven't got anyone for the job yet is because people with common sense will know that it's a poisoned chalice. Can you imagine the crap you'd have to deal with every day from people around the entire world? It just seems like a really bad job to take if you're in that field. I mean, I suppose it's also a challenge and if you have thick skin you could make a seriously big name for yourself, especially if you come out relatively unscathed.

But yeah, hopefully we hear something soon. I agree that the game is getting a bit dull. I'm certainly playing it a lot less than I was before.

I've been playing Pokémon Volt White 2 recently instead for the most part. Well, that and FFXIV, of course.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I agree regarding what Skyblade said.

I think the reason they haven't got anyone for the job yet is because people with common sense will know that it's a poisoned chalice. Can you imagine the crap you'd have to deal with every day from people around the entire world? It just seems like a really bad job to take if you're in that field. I mean, I suppose it's also a challenge and if you have thick skin you could make a seriously big name for yourself, especially if you come out relatively unscathed.

But yeah, hopefully we hear something soon. I agree that the game is getting a bit dull. I'm certainly playing it a lot less than I was before.

I've been playing Pokémon Volt White 2 recently instead for the most part. Well, that and FFXIV, of course.
    Speaking of which...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Charmander keeps mocking me. I keep seeing his damn silhouette in the radar near my work but I'm always to busy to find him and he's gone by the time I can check. Not only is he my favorite starter from Gen 1, but he's also the only starter I haven't caught yet in this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Charmander keeps mocking me. I keep seeing his damn silhouette in the radar near my work but I'm always to busy to find him and he's gone by the time I can check. Not only is he my favorite starter from Gen 1, but he's also the only starter I haven't caught yet in this game.
    I got a Charmander with 471 CP today! It only took me about seven berries and seven ultra balls. x_x My third one (and strongest by a mile), including the one I picked as a starter at the beginning of the game.

As for elusive Pokémon, Pikachu is mine. I've seen his silhouette dozens of times but never actually seen him pop up on the screen so I could catch him.

Got my first Seaking on the way to work today, and an egg hatched to give me my first Diglett. Very happy with that! I got a Mankey (10 CP xD) on the way home yesterday which was also a first. I'd gone days without a "first" before then. Also have got Venomoth and Parasect via evolutions.

I have a few "initial stage" Pokémon that have high CP and I'm pretty excited to see how well they evolve. A 625 Bellsprout, a 734 Growlithe and a 540 Oddish. I'm really hoping they turn into my first 2000 Pokémon eventually, but I don't know if that'll happen. I've started seeing a few 2000 Pokémon when I browse gyms, I wonder how rare it is to get them? The closest I've caught to that kind of level was a Snorlax which remains my most powerful Pokémon at 1539 (after I used a few power ups on it - it was 1400 or so initially if I recall correctly). Oddly I caught that Snorlax when I was around level 5-10 and now I'm level 22 and struggling to catch CP 10s sometimes. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Those annoyed that the last update removed the Nearby mechanic, will be happy to know that Niantic is actually testing a new and improved version with a few players. Besides some minor graphical changes, the new system will show you a quick picture of the nearest PoekStop it's by. You can also check an overview map to see a general area it may be in and will also allow you to makr it on your map for easier tracking in the main game.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I have the new sightings thing, does that mean I have the new tracking too or is that what everyone has now? I read the new sightings thing was being tested so I'm curious if the other thing that read is wrong since I havent seen pictures of stops behind Pokemon or been able to pull up a map.