Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Go

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin Pokemon Go

Spuuky and I have been playing this over the last few days - it's fun to play Pokemon again! I miss battling, and the challenge of having to catch a pokemon - I have yet to have one get away - but catching 'em all is still addictive after all these years. Going to go see how many I can catch this evening - we are currently at level 9 and 39/150

Are you playing? Have you picked a team?

I haven't had a good chance to play or even start up yet, but I might next big break I get.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The attention this game is getting is insane. Nearly every time I go out people are playing. I now get approached and talk to people who play and people who don't play. It's crazy.

The game is simple, but it just so fun to actually walk around and finally get a couple of new Pokemon. Plus, it's cool to see what counts as landmarks in your local towns! I someone won 10 gym battles even though I rarely decide to do that. I just have fun trying to find new Pokemon!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I joined team mystic, and I currently have 40.

Caught a Magmar and a Pinsir on the train today.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It rarely works for me but I have a couple of Pokemon

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Caught about fifty pokemon and then transferred most of them to Professor Willow (where is Professor Oak?); evolved our kakuna and nidoran, struck out in a gym battle. It's so surreal seeing hordes of people out and staring at their phones intently.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Caught about fifty pokemon and then transferred most of them to Professor Willow (where is Professor Oak?); evolved our kakuna and nidoran, struck out in a gym battle. It's so surreal seeing hordes of people out and staring at their phones intently.
    Well, Professor Oak is probably home, in the Kanto region.

Anyhoo, this isn't out in Europe yet and since I have an iPhone, there's no easy way for me to download it off the Us or AUS servers. But it should be out here soon enough. Also, I really hope they add more Pokemon in updates - for a game all about collecting, 151 Pokemon sound like it'll get boring fast.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    151 Pokemon sound like it'll get boring fast.
    Having been obsessed with 151 Pokemon for months as a kid, I can assure you that it doesn't.

GOD DAMNIT GASTLY STAY IN THE POKEBALL

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    151 Pokemon sound like it'll get boring fast.
    Having been obsessed with 151 Pokemon for months as a kid, I can assure you that it doesn't.

GOD DAMNIT GASTLY STAY IN THE POKEBALL
    Maybe not to you. But I and several other people are looking forward to more variety.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

When you say several other people do you mean the hardcore Pokemon fanbase? That's not who the game's target audience is. It's meant to be a gateway into Pokemon for more casual gamers and kids. It's definitely not some deep strategy game - just go out, explore and have fun. And take the opportunity to get some new fans into the hobby you love!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

If technology like this existed in the 90's then OMG I WOULD TOTES BE ALL OVER THIS. However for me I'd like Pokemon to stay a part of my childhood, and I have no intention of playing this game when it's available. Blue, Yellow and Stadium were the only Pokemon games I ever played as after Gameboy Colour (I had a swanky Lime green one) I never kept up with the Nintendo handhelds.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

So, it was like, 11.30pm, and Spuuky and I were standing on a dodgy dark street corner while I was trying to take over the nearest gym. Two dudes rock up and one of them asks, "Hey, what team are you on?" and I reply, "Team Mystic" without looking up from the phone. One of the guys asks if I want help taking down the gym, and they stop and between the three of us, we take the gym over from Instinct to Mystic. I think they might have been drinking - one of the guys dropped his phone - but they told me I could place my pokemon on the top of the gym and told us to have a nice night, they were off to try find a Koffing

Seriously I think Spuuky has spoken to more random people today than he has in his entire life and it's all because of pokemon

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't worry Fynn, they'll probably add updates and expansions to the original 151 pokemon. They'd want to know there would be a market for them taking the time to implement the next generation's pokemon. Whether or not they'll be free or not depends on the cynicism of the person.

And like Psychotic said: it is very much a casual game. I don't have it, because I don't really own a smartphone, but the paring down of the battle system and emphasis on collecting makes it more casual. It's a neat idea, to be honest. It's getting people to venture outside and take longer or different routes walking (sometimes towards a mugging, admittedly).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    When you say several other people do you mean the hardcore Pokemon fanbase? That's not who the game's target audience is. It's meant to be a gateway into Pokemon for more casual gamers and kids. It's definitely not some deep strategy game - just go out, explore and have fun. And take the opportunity to get some new fans into the hobby you love!
    Of course. And I've heard casual fans and even people who hadn't had anything to do with Pokemon at all before say that they'd be really excited if there were more. I'm honestly not arguing for this to implement more complex mechanics, just more Pokemon for collection purposes. Because this game is all about the collection.

I know it may be hard for people who have the nostalgia for gen 1 and stuff like that, but honestly, I believe that if they introduced more Pokemon in batches, that'd be a great way of constantly incentivizing people to go out and catch Pokemon. For many people new Pokemon carry this stigma of not being there in the 90s for them, but for many all of this is new, so more Pokemon that are equally new to them really shouldn't be too problematic.

I mean, imagine you know nothing about Pokemon and you've caught most of these and you still want to play but it's become a bit more routine, but syddenly there's an update and there's like a whole bunch of new Pokemon and you're like "HOLY TROUT!!!!!"

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's been out for seven days. Let the people who only like the classic versions enjoy it for a time before pushing for the expanded collection.