Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Go

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I guess I will just wait until my phone breaks and I have to buy a new one by force.
    I dont have much free time to play games anyways..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The buddy system is kinda unbalanced. For example:

Magikarp gets 1 candy every 1km walked. Now given the fact that the game is dubious in it's distance tracking at times (I can walk fast enough to trip the "you're moving too fast" so god knows what it would do if I was to actually take my phone out on a run), this means you would have to walk at least 400km to get enough for a Gyarados. Ok, so Gyarados is top tier but 400km... lets put that in real terms: It's approximately 465km from London to Dublin with tracking problems and the Irish Sea in between, you'd probably not only have to walk that entire distance but still capture a load of Magikarp.

Starters are it seems 3km per candy. If you want a Charizard for example, you need approximately 125 candy (that's a whopping 375km!) to evolve from Charmander to Charizard. Then you need to walk in enough candy to level it up. This if you're near max CP is not so bad. Lets face it, walking 9km for 3 candy to do an upgrade isn't the worst but if your Charmander isn't maxed out, you're screwed.

Personally, I think that the buddy system should be the distance = 5 candy each time it's walked. This would mean that a Charizard is still nearly 30km to walk it in if you can't find a nest of them and bum out on the 2km eggs getting a Charmander. A Gyarados is still approximately 80km to walk it in without any captures. That would still be a bloody long walk (almost the same as London to Brighton and I am sure any person who has walked on a 100km challenge would tell you it's not exactly easy) but much more do-able than 400km!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was added as something extra to encourage more moving around. Capturing more of the same breed is still the best way to build candy. Magikarp are everywhere, you'll get enough eventually.

Playing Pokemon Go made me crave the real game again so now I'm busy breeding up perfect Greninjas to be as interested in this. I did evolve a Blastoise the other day and now I'm up to level 23 with 123 pokemon captured.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Also worth noting that I was happily able to spend a couple of hours walking around Edinburgh to hatch a 10k egg. And I did walk at least 8k of that 10k before you mention tracking issues. xD I checked it later on Google, it was less than 10, but not too much. That was just walking home from work and then around a couple of extra blocks. Not 400k, no, but keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be something you do in a single day. If I had my phone out every day like I used to when Go was still fresh, I'm pretty sure I would have managed 400k over a month or two, which isn't shabby.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Anyone else been enjoying the Halloween event? Parade of the Cubones, Meowths and Gastlys! Oh, yeah, and the ubiquitous Drowzees because of course that's what we needed more of.

Also even more excitingly, eggs have now changed colour depending on what distance they are.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is still a thing?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My wife, who was super hooked on the game for a really long time despite never liking Pokémon at all, said it's kind of lost its purpose now and that she'll come back when they introduce more Pokémon.

Now, I'm not one to say "I told you so" but...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Anyone else been enjoying the Halloween event? Parade of the Cubones, Meowths and Gastlys! Oh, yeah, and the ubiquitous Drowzees because of course that's what we needed more of.

Also even more excitingly, eggs have now changed colour depending on what distance they are.
    Yeah, I like the Halloween stuff. Got a Haunter today.

Like many, this game loses its luster for me since once you catch enough stuff, there's not much left to do.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Halloween event is making the game more interesting for me. It certainly makes the Buddy system a much more enjoyable aspect of the game and certainly gives the ability for you to actually have it as a use. As explained previously, if you have a nest of a creature nearby then sure the buddy system makes a lot of sense as just an add on a little bonus here and there. However, I use it for those whom I have no nests nearby which means getting anything from 25 - 100 candy for the evolution of said pokemon is pretty depressing when that means anything up to and including 400km of distance.

So far, using the buddy system I have managed to evolve Bulbasaur (no nest nearby), Squirtle (rarely spawns nearby) and I'm getting close to evolving my Sandshrew (no nests nearby) just in this event. Which was great as it saved me having to walk over 200km so far.

Today I went on a 30km hike around Central London and discovered that Hyde Park is Magmar bloody central. In particular the stretch between Lancaster Gate and Tyburn Place (Marble Arch). I was bagging another one every 2 steps it was great, especially with 2x candy on them. I was disappointed that there was no rare insectoids such as Pinsir or Scyther near by there. Unfortunately, I forgot to put my battery extender on charge last night so didn't have that on me and after about 20km the battery of my phone was down to just 15% and so I lost the last 10km hike.

The game is losing it's appeal to me, though I do enjoy pretty grindy games by nature and therefore it has got me kinda hooked in to it.

If I was Niantic, I would seriously consider keeping the distances for the buddy system as it is for this event permanently. Getting 4 candy every 3km on a starter seems fair. As does getting 12 Magikarp Candy in the same space of distance.
    Last edited by Iceglow; 10-31-2016 at 07:16 AM.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

One day, we're gonna look back at this game in business schools, economics classes, marketing courses, and basic game design.

It's going to be the story of how a company took a sure thing and ruined it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nah.

I still play it, but mostly as an aid to get out and keep walking.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Dataming in a new update finds Gen 2 Pokemon.
    https://thesilphroad.com/news/pokemo...tto-code-found

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

They've also stopped people from getting Pokemon and PokeStops if they're travelling over 25mph. Passenger in a car or on public transport? smurf you. Well, now I'm no longer able to get the TWO exciting Pokestops I used to be able to get. It seems to me the only way to play this game is to live near a big city.

On that note, I went to Birmingham this weekend and good lord compared to my usual suburban Pidgey-Rattata-Weedle bollocks it was insane. I caught a Machop and a Mankey you guys! I saw an actual real life Sandshrew and Diglett! (after only having ever hatched them) I even saw a Growlithe outline!

Oh, and for some reason I now keep being absolutely bombarded with Mr Mimes. I think it's the Europe only Pokemon so as and when trading comes in, if anyone wants one let me know and I'll hook you up. I've got a whole troupe of the creepy smurfers now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Dataming in a new update finds Gen 2 Pokemon.
    https://thesilphroad.com/news/pokemo...tto-code-found
    Looking forward to more Pokes!