Thread: The Rise and Fall of G4 TV

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Rise and Fall of G4 TV

While wandering around the Escapist website, I saw a forum thread with this documentary attached to it. Got me thinking about how much I used to watch this channel in college and the sad slow death it endured for several years as the heads of the channel kept making worse and worse decisions.

Who else watched this channel or the original Tech TV? What were your favorite programs?

Just gonna quote myself from my old G4 thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Back when I was a lowly teenager without my own computer I had Cable. And on Cable I had the channel G4. G4 was my life as a video game nerd. I learned so much about the history of gaming from that channel.

In addition to the history of video games as represented by the show Icons, it had a number of great game-baosed shows. Like Filter with my teen crush, Diane Mizota.

There was also Portal, which made MMOs look cool (amazing!), Judgment Day and several other awesome programs. I remember a lot of people were trying to get Portal on DVD because it really is a story-driven show and you need all the episodes. I haven't watched it in many, many years but I remember loving it to death because of its brilliant, semi-satirical writing and acting.

I guess the Internet has been more or less the reason for G4's decline but in a sense, the Internet is also its salvation.
    Thanks to the Internet I can find commercials and old episodes scattered here and there. I should really make a more dedicated effort to collect Portal and Filter episodes at the very least.

Relive the glorious memories my friends.[/QUOTE]