Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Console Generation

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Least Favorite Console Generation

We often always do favorite, but what about your least favorite console generation?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

May be opposite to others, but the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era was my least favorite. PS2 is an awesome system but half of that was backwards compatibility with PS1. Gamecube was also Nintendo's weakest console, and N64 and Wii had far more games I enjoyed.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

I'd probably have to say that the PS3,360,Wii generation is the worst based on the games that I play, even though it's the only one where I have all three systems. That might just be because I've become more of a PC gamer, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree with LoM, PC gaming was quite solid but the consoles saw the death of a lot of beloved genres in favor of transparently weak microtransactions, streamlined gameplay, and half-assed reboots.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So far, this one.

And Del, liking the PS2 mostly for backwards compatibility is criminal. It has one of the greatest game libraries in history.

NES Era easily. It might be true that it gave us Zelda and FF but as I think the ones it had brought up are nothing compared to other Zeldas and FF it is the NES Era. And it has nothing else for me.

Quote Originally Posted by leader of mortals View Post
    I'd probably have to say that the PS3,360,Wii generation is the worst based on the games that I play, even though it's the only one where I have all three systems. That might just be because I've become more of a PC gamer, though.
    Yeah have to say the PS3/ Wii generation or this generation, as there's too much focus spent on shooter games ( Overwatch is refreshing and good though ) and DLC. Street Fighter V is a good example on how DLC just ruins games. Street Fighter x Tekken as well. There's also this 'graphics is more important than everything else ' ideal. Well graphics helps, it's not everything. There's reasons why people still play NES games today.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    May be opposite to others, but the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era was my least favorite. PS2 is an awesome system but half of that was backwards compatibility with PS1. Gamecube was also Nintendo's weakest console, and N64 and Wii had far more games I enjoyed.
    Half? Nah

Resident Evil 4
    Dark Cloud
    Dark Cloud 2
    Final Fantasy X
    X-2
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    Bully
    Okami
    Def Jam Vendetta
    Def Jam Fight for NY
    Street Hoops
    NBA Street Vol.2
    Valkyrie Profile 2
    Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
    God Hand
    Tekken 4
    Tekken 5
    Soul Calibur II
    SSX Tricky
    SSX 3
    State of Emergency
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    God of War
    God of War II
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Psychonauts
    The Punisher
    Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts II

I'll go with gen 1 because I didn't grow up with it so I have no attachment to it and even among game enthusiasts it's hardly talked about, mostly reserved for video game history in those discussions really only the Magnovox Odyssey and SpaceWar are mentioned. The discussions never make me eager to try out any of these games.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'll also vote for the Wii/PS3 generation. I kind of skipped over that one, I've been doubling back but eh.

Ps4/XBONE/WiiU cause I don't have one

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

gonna have to say NES Era. just because im not a fan of 8 bit games. its rare when graphics affect games... and nes has good games i just dont like the 8bitness (not its fault but oh well)

also its the only generation i have not played. save for LoZ 1 and 2 and FF 3. all of which i had only done the first dungeon.

Blog Entries

My memory spans lets see.....5 gaming generations now.

Lets take stock:
    SNES/Amiga:Amiga yes but none of those games work anymore, SNES is the bane of my life. I came to it late, the games are short and difficult, you cannot save your game hardly at all. Also, after all this time the good SNES games are stupidly expensive.
    PS1/N64: I've loved this console since i was 14 so, it rules this one out. However, the N64 bites.
    PS2/GameCube:Love both of these, particularly PS2. So this era was probably the best in my view, so ruled out.
    Nintendo DS/PS3: Some PS3 games look good to me but being on this forum means I've seen mud slinging at PS3 games. As for the DS, well the DS is great. I hope to pick up a PSP sometime too.
    PS4/X Box One: I haven't played on either, and no one has influenced my opinion in any serious way so I'm neutral on this.

Anything I have highlighted in Red is what I don't like about each Era. Go with that.

If i had to choose I would say the SNES era is the low point (except the Amiga), and maybe some of the ones from the previous era, like anything thats on that Midway Arcade Treasures. Early to mid 80s games suck for someone like me, I'm sure theres about 15,000 men in their 30s and 40s who disagree with me but there you have it.
    Last edited by Midgar Mist; 07-18-2016 at 04:52 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The current gen. A minimal amount of new games for the first idk 4 years now? The only things that are plentiful are remakes of PS360 games.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

So far this current generation is my least favorite. I've actually stopped playing games as often because there aren't that many I like.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Perhaps the PS2 era coincided with a time in my life where I didn't care as much for video games as I did for surfing the internet and hanging out with college friends. Of the ones DM listed, I only played the FF and KH titles. I eventually played the remastered GoW series on PS3 and did like it, though.

That era just seems like the awkward teenage years of gaming. Sony broke into the market with PS1 and was the cool new kid on the block, but I just don't think PS2's lineup was better than PS1's. There's nothing close to a FFVII or Symphony of the Night on that system that made me awestruck. KH is the closest it came. For Nintendo, it was their first attempt at disc-based games and it seemed like they were still trying to figure out ways to evolve and react to Sony's insurgence. Other than Metroid Prime, the GameCube didn't produce anything groundbreaking. Wind Waker is underrated though.

I think a lot of it depends on what you grew up with. Obviously a kid born in the 2000s isn't going to say NES was their favorite era, or even PS2/GC.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum