Thread: Dumb Moments

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Dumb Moments

So I've recently started a playthrough of Pokemon Yellow to pass the time during my commute to work. Pikachu levelled up and learned Quick Attack. Which move did I accidentally forget? Thundershock. I'd not saved for a while so I decided to soldier on with no damaging electric attacks. Hooo boy... it took me soooo long to level my other pokemon up so I could beat Misty. Even then they all died except Pikachu and he delivered the killing blow with only 8 HP left. Skin of my teeth!

The worst part is until I learn Thunderbolt, Pikachu (currently level 21) is terrible. I've got to either wait until I've beaten Lt Surge or wait until Pikachu is level 26. Grrr!!

Anyway, what stupid things have you done whilst pokemonning?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I was trying to transfer a pokemon on PoGO and I accidentally transferred my 1056 Jolteon cause it glitched x.x

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I've accidentally transferred a pokemon on Go instead of evolving it like I wanted to.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It wasn't me, but in the original game my little brother used his Master Ball to catch a Ditto.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Reading all of this has been a painful experience. I'm sorry for your losses.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

I once traded a shiny ponyta for something worse but I forgot what it was

Also I caught a ledyba on soul silver and am still using it on the third gym even though its attack is at 12 and its lvl 16 and still hasn't learnt any bug moves

DJ pon-3
    (Vinyl scratch)

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Trading a reshiram for a druddigon on pokemon black on gts. Also on black 2 i traded a espeon for a sunflora lol.

Blog Entries

Oh I forgot to add I evolved my adorable shiny piplup which I now wish I didn't

DJ pon-3
    (Vinyl scratch)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember waiting to pick up a Bellsprout in Blue so I can have him higher level, forgetting completely that the game always removes the lowest move on their move list, which meant I got stuck with a Bellsprout who doesn't know the awesome Vine Whip and instead has to nail an opponent with status spores before spamming Wrap, which takes forever since the mon isn't exactly a powerhouse. Suffice to say I dropped him and went back to Cerulean City to get a proper one.

In a similar vein, I've also had the misfortune of leaving some good Pokemon at the Daycare center to get charged up in levels only to forget the Daycare attendant will also wipe out the earliest abilities on their list for the new ones. This is especially annoying with Fire-Types as many of them learn Ember surprisingly early and won't gain the better Flamethrower or okay Flame Spin until endgame. Vulpix is especially vulnerable as she has lackluster offense beyond special attack so losing Ember makes them useless offensively.

In Gen 1, I had a lot of these. I didn't understand the Type system all that much, and it was really frustrating that so many of my Pokémon couldn't hurt Ghosts (they were all using Normal moves). Charmander's Ember was the only thing I remember having on my team that would hurt them, and I was convinced it was something about having a magical/elemental property, and freaking out that I'd run out of PP for it as I went through the tower.

I also remember being frustrated that none of the Pokémon I had could learn Flash. I mean, Charmander has a flame on its tail. You'd think it could light up an area, right? NOPE. Nor could any other of the four or so Fire types I tried. Finally, by sheer luck, I tried it on a Pikachu, and it worked, and I felt like an idiot for not trying an Electric Type sooner.

Then, twenty years later (about a month ago), I was doing some research, and I find out the Type that actually has the most affinity for Flash is... Grass. Yes, I'm dead serious. More Grass Types learn Flash than any other Type. WHY?! Glowing plants are NOT that common! I feel somewhat better after learning that.

The only Fire Types that CAN learn Flash are: Entei, Ho-oh, Rotom Heat, Victini, and the Chandelure line. So, legendaries, an electric type that changed its typing, and a chandelier. Apparently Fire just isn't bright in the Pokémon world.

In Leaf Green when I fought the first of the Elite Four. I won, but I didn't know you couldn't go back and get more supplies, so I had to go and fight the rest of them with some of my weakest Pokemon and very little healing items.