Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite rpg you feel doesn't get the respect it deserves?

Default Favorite rpg you feel doesn't get the respect it deserves?

For me it's Breath of Fire 4. No one talks about this game ever but it's amazing. The dual story is very compelling and has a lot of twists and turns and is quite complicated and emotional. The score is good, battle is fun. It has a sense of place, you stay in areas for a while, they stick in your head. Not sure why this game always falls under the radar. One of my top ten.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Breath of Fire in general never gets much attention, though among the fan community, IV is ranked rather highly with only BoFIII standing in its way for being considered the most popular. Honestly I would say Dragon Quarter is more deserving in that fandom, since it is a very good game but is largely reviled by most of the fanbase and considered the game that killed the franchise.

In terms of personal favorites for me, Persona 2 is starting to become like this. I'll concede that Persona1 is kind of an experimental clustersmurf that's more enjoyable as a train wreck than as its intended purpose of entertainment, and I'll concede that Persona 3 took the franchise in an exciting new direction for the franchise and P4 improved on it, but it just seems to me like no one ever talks about Persona 2 or acknowledges what it did for the series, especially egregious when you see how much P4 and now P5 are copy/pasting ideas and concepts from that game. Most who have played it even say its a good game, so its not like the gameplay is detrimental.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon Quest VI often gets overshadowed by the games before and after it (ESPECIALLY DQ V), but it;s actually a very good game in its own right with a very interesting plot and job system. Easily my favorite Dragon Quest up to that point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Gosh I got sucked up in this game. Exceeded all expectations. It's not original or unique, it doesn't shake things up, but it takes many of the things I love in RPG's and put them together in a way that just feels great. It has good character interactions, bonding events, NPC's with stories, cooking, mini-games, over 60 hours of gameplay if you do more than the basics, outfits, classic RPG turn-based battle system, difficulty settings, sidequests galore, an interesting story, a large cast, great locations, some nice, more subtle story telling elements, good voice acting usually, a sense of humour, customization. It's just... awesome.

I am mega-pumped for part 2 this fall

...Oh god. This is a hard one.

Mana Khemia, just the first one.

If only for having one of the greatest finale boss fights of all time in terms of the narrative build to it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Either of the FF Tactics Advance games although people are finally starting to accept their amazingness

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

For me I think......Skies of Arcadia.

It certainly has it's dedicated fans, but there's simply too many fans of jrpgs that haven't tried this one.

When you play it, feels like your catching up with an old friend but that both of you have some much new stuff to catch up on that there's still plenty of fun new things to keep you interested.

It's just charming, fun, and other than the encounter rate, I think most jrpg fans would like it a good bit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    For me I think......Skies of Arcadia.

It certainly has it's dedicated fans, but there's simply too many fans of jrpgs that haven't tried this one.

When you play it, feels like your catching up with an old friend but that both of you have some much new stuff to catch up on that there's still plenty of fun new things to keep you interested.

It's just charming, fun, and other than the encounter rate, I think most jrpg fans would like it a good bit.
    I actually started playing that one, but couldn't finish it because it was my room-mate's GameCube. I've researched this, and found that the GameCube is not worth buying for the sake of RPGs because, apparently it barely released any. I did get chance to play part of another one called Pokemon:Colosseum and had to put up with the entire student house slamming it, I actually thought the part of it i played was good.

In terms of one I completed, I think that Grandia is too underrated. Its got an innovative gameplay including lots of cool magic combinations, a good story and it featured voice acting (long before SE thought to do it).

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

Great list of games everyone, there are several games on there I haven't played.

Even though it's talked about quite a bit, Suikoden 2 is a masterpiece and could always use more love.

Also Psychonauts and The Longest Journey series.

Probably Chrono Cross. That game barely even gets mentioned nowadays. With the amount of old games Square port to new platforms, you'd think they'd at least have talked about it once or twice.
    Nearly everyone in the audience prefers Trigger so never brings up either. I personally like them both about equally.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I only play the first part of it. But i think bahamut lagoon is pretty cool. I think thats what its called. The strategy one like FF tactics.

Banned

"Tales Of Phantasia" for the Super Famicom - basically it is the spiritual precursor to the Star Ocean series, and the random battles have some Street Fighter elements to them.

There are actually tons of similarities between this game and Star Ocean - both of them start out with the main character and his best friend running back and forth on fetch quests (and they run through a mountain region that's close to home), both of them throw in time travel very early, at which point you end up in the past and explore the places from the beginning of the game one more time (AND at this point the main character's best friend leaves the party) and both of them have special attacks that can be improved into even better versions of themselves.

Oh and yeah, Cless, Chester and Mint are basically Ratix, Dorn and Milly.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 08-09-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Ancient View Post
    Even though it's talked about quite a bit, Suikoden 2 is a masterpiece and could always use more love.
    I haven't played this yet but it's Mister Adequate's favorite game of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Probably Chrono Cross. That game barely even gets mentioned nowadays. With the amount of old games Square port to new platforms, you'd think they'd at least have talked about it once or twice.
    Nearly everyone in the audience prefers Trigger so never brings up either. I personally like them both about equally.
    Definitely Chrono Cross. The people who prefer Trigger have ranted against it so throughly that most people won't even try it. It is an awesome game in its own right though and in some ways I like it more than Trigger.

I'll give a second mention to Shining Force 2, which is one of my favorite classic SRPGs.