Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

  1. #61
    Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    My happy place.
    Posts
    5,523

    Default

    Since it's locked into a pretty limited streaming service, I doubt I'll be seeing it anytime soon.

  2. #62

    Default

    PREVIOUSLY, ON FOX WATCHES STAR TREK DISCOVERY:

    Discovery, so far, for me... is just trash. There's no other word for it.
    AND NOW THE CONTINUATION...

    So... this was much better. To be non-spoilery about it, the dialogue was much more natural, the cinematography wasn't anywhere near as nauseating, there are some fairly interesting (and well performed) characters that I don't despise by any means. It's still tries to be too serious too much of the time; it took well over 10 minutes before we got our first unambiguous smile. And it still wasn't as thoughtful as I'd expect Trek to be, instead still leaning too heavily on the BSG playbook.

    But it was perfectly watchable. Decent, even. Enough so that I'll probably watch it next week as well.

  3. #63

    Default

    Just watched the first episode last night. Wasn't half bad. The writers for Discovery certainly have a far better understanding of the basic themes and concepts of Trek than the Abrams movies, which honestly isn't saying much.

    I'm almost finished with TNG, which I'll remind everyone had an awful first season, so maybe we shouldn't jump the gun and write this new show off as trash before we've seen its true potential.

  4. #64
    The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    I never quite understand what the 'basic themes and concepts' of Star Trek are. Did Voyager and Enterprise and all the Next Generation films bar one get them right? Because those all sucked.

    First three episodes of this have been decent. Jason Issacs seems especially interesting.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 10-05-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Just watched the first episode last night. Wasn't half bad. The writers for Discovery certainly have a far better understanding of the basic themes and concepts of Trek than the Abrams movies, which honestly isn't saying much.

    I'm almost finished with TNG, which I'll remind everyone had an awful first season, so maybe we shouldn't jump the gun and write this new show off as trash before we've seen its true potential.
    I don't think it's jumping the gun. You can only judge what's been shown, not on what it might hopefully be one day.

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    I never quite understand what the 'basic themes and concepts' of Star Trek are. Did Voyager and Enterprise and all the Next Generation films bar one get them right? Because those all sucked.

    First three episodes of this have been decent. Jason Issacs seems especially interesting.
    The little things like everything the Federation stood for. Because there were few times in either the original or next gen series where Starfleet solved all their problems by going in guns blazing. Also it doesn't help that the director outright admitted he never "got" Star Trek.

    And while I haven't seen Voyager and Enterprise I assume they're hated because of their poor quality. The same reasons why the stinkers of their much-vaunted predecessor series are also hated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Just watched the first episode last night. Wasn't half bad. The writers for Discovery certainly have a far better understanding of the basic themes and concepts of Trek than the Abrams movies, which honestly isn't saying much.

    I'm almost finished with TNG, which I'll remind everyone had an awful first season, so maybe we shouldn't jump the gun and write this new show off as trash before we've seen its true potential.
    I don't think it's jumping the gun. You can only judge what's been shown, not on what it might hopefully be one day.
    Fair point.

  7. #67
    Let's get ready to bumble Vincent, Thunder God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I thought that the first two episodes had potential but the 2nd two have been disappointing for me. It often seems to be the case that the plot tends to be less cohesive when a show or movie runs through a bunch of different writers - things tend to get muddled - like (SPOILER) the inconsistency of Saru's interactions with Michael, his attitude towards Lorca etc . I really liked the character beats with (SPOILER) Sarek and Michael in the first two episodes but the writing has become too trite and predictable for me now that the show (SPOILER) has shifted to the new ship . I can see why Fuller left - he probably disagreed with notes from the studio execs. As a result the inconsistency of writing has hurt the show IMO.

  8. #68
    Let's get ready to bumble Vincent, Thunder God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Minor Episode 5 Spoiler Did anyone else catch the reference to Mudd's Women from the original series?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •