Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Look at this bulltrout redesign that's out of context but got leaked

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Ehh. To be fair. The only reason the klingons looked the way they had before was due to constrains in tech to make them look different and more alien like. IN my rewatch of all the series, I have had the complaint that every alien race LOOKS human. While I was okay with TNG version of klingons more so with their nifty ridges, I'm not completely against the redesign for the previous mentioned reason.
    Someone's rather strong opinion sure did change.

They're free to do what they want, but I liked the TNG redesign of the Klingons. I like how they retconned it to fit with the TOS. This new design still has them looking very humanoid, so it's done nothing to address that issue in my opinion. Plus they haven't felt the need to redesign any other major races like the Vulcans. They probably already specified it somewhere and I missed it, but it's looking more and more like this Star Trek will take place in the new timeline universe created by the new movies and.....eh. The first one was decent, but the other two were less my thing.

They could probably get away with it for one of the less important aliens, like Bolians, Tholians, Horta or something, but Klingons are a big part of Star Trek and most people seem to like their TNG-and-on design. Hopefully the rest of the show is still good. It's not make-or-break for me, just disappointing.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah, cause I've re-evaluated my feelings on it. I looked at it again after my initial shock wore off. That happens when presented with new perspectives and information

And no, it does takes place in the Prime Universe, so the original one. 10 yrs prior to TOS. So it's not the Movie Timeline, but the original one.

What i've been learning is people tend to favor the designs and layout of the show with whichever one they were first introduced to. So if you were watching TNG first, that's what you're used to.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Actually I saw TOS reruns first, and little me was surprised when the redesign happened in the TOS movie I saw.

By the time I saw TNG I was used to it. Everyone refers to it as the TNG redesign, because I guess that's what they're used to, so I just follow along.

It's interesting that it takes place in the prime timeline. To me, since the redesign simply looks different without looking any more or less humanoid, it's even more of an odd choice. I will be interested to see what other cultural changes they might make to the Klingons. Since they're probably my favorite race in the series, I'm sure I'll meet any changes with a critical eye. It is what it is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Maybe it's like a soft reboot of the Original universe? kinda? Idk.

I hate the trailer. I hate the filters. I hate the apparent contempt on what has come before.

Even with all that Id probably still give it a watch but theyve hidden it behind a paywall and Im not paying a streaming service for one show. Especially one I probably wont like.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Anyone watch the first two episodes?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Unfortunately, yes.

I tried my best to like it, but I only have one positive thing to say about it: the music was pretty good. I'm no 'hardcore trekkie' by any means. I like my Star Trek, but I don't think it should be this or should be that. TNG and DS9 were very different - I liked 'em both. I like First Contact, and I also quite like the 2009 reboot. Enterprise is certainly not great in my eyes but nor do I hate it by any means.

Discovery, so far, for me... is just trash. There's no other word for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Hmm That's different, i've heard fairly positive things so far.

I'm debating on paying for stupid CBS All Access just to watch it or not. I really don't wanna though but i'm hella lazy on "acquiring" anything anymore.

Where's slothy, he's watched it!

Really glad it's on Netflix over here!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was fantastic. True to the original stuffs soul, and taking it into some places we haven't seen Star Trek go before (no pun intended). Good actors, interesting intro to the status quo in the galaxy at the moment and where it's headed. I can't wait to see where this goes. And I'd like to think I'm not just giving it a lot of leeway because of nostalgia. I hate the last two series they did before this so I was trying to keep my expectations kind of low.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    True to the original stuffs soul
    Do you have any non-spoilery examples? Because this is the bit I struggled with the most; I didn't feel any of the original Star Trek in there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Do you have any non-spoilery examples? Because this is the bit I struggled with the most; I didn't feel any of the original Star Trek in there at all.
    Was there a lack of the lead actor...speaking...in....pauses...

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Was there a lack of the lead actor...speaking...in....pauses...
    Actually that was one thing they did have... only from the (SPOILER)Klingons instead of the Captain

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Overall, I'd probably give it a 7/10 so far, which maintains my pre-viewing rating of "cautiously optimistic." Nothing amazing, but also didn't completely turn me off.

(SPOILER)
    Things I liked:

-The Commander/main character
    -The new resident science officer/only sane person on board
    -That the story started with a classic Trek trope: the SO saying "don't do anything stupid" and the human saying "I want to go out and look at something cool!"
    -The overall plot seems interesting

Things I didn't like:

-The original captain. Who's at least gone now.
    -That all the uniforms are the same color
    -The over-the-top attempts to make the show appear cinematic (e.g., the camera fixed at close-up range to everyone)
    -some of the forced plot points surrounding the "mutiny" and final fight with the Klingons

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I watched the first episode but haven't gotten around to the second. Have to admit it didn't captivate me much into wanting to immediately watch the second. I'm sure I will at some point but for now... Probably not.