Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Least favorite Gen

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Least favorite Gen

What it says on the tin. Which Gen was your least favorite? It's interesting watching the fanbase argue over which gen was the weakest.

I'm not a huge fan of Gen V, always found it kind of boring aside from the few decent Pokémon it introduced. Unova is lame. :I

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gen 1, despite me jumping on board as soon as the series started. Don't get me wrong - I had a blast with gen 1 as a kid, but every subsequent generation was just better and more fun to play. It also has some of the worst monster designs, imo, not to mention being completely broken mechanics-wise, and Kanto is my least favorite region when it comes to the environment - it's just so drab compared to later gens, even in the 3rd gen remakes of red and blue.

The fact that so many people just refuse to acknowledge anything beyond it only adds fuel to the fire, really

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

II probably? Just doesn't stand out for me at all. Kind of forgettable. Gen III is close to the same but Mudkip

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Whichever White and Black were, I couldn't get into it and it kept me off Pokemon for a while.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Gen I I agree was pretty drab environmentally, but the pokemon designs were (mostly) solid. A few were somewhat left-field, like Jynx, Mr. Mime and the two sludge pokemon Grimer and Muk, but by and large I didn't object to most of them. It isn't my least favourite generation, and I tend to let off the simplistic environments due to it being the first one on the most basic hardware.

Honestly? It's a toss up between Gen III or Gen V for me. I found the legendary designs for Gen III pretty crap. Kyorgre and Groudon looked very computer generated and I'm just not a fan of their designs whatsoever. Beyond the legendary design, it also introduced the Pokemon contests which I didn't very much care for. They also took out the day and night cycles in Gen III, for some reason, despite two eeveelutions depending on them.

As for Gen V, again, the pokemon designs. Now most of them weren't bad, but there were a few really questionable ones. I'll mention the obligatory ice cream cone pokemon. Every generation has its fair share of bad designs, but my patience starts to wear. Not only do they have less pokemon to design, they should just generally be getting better practice. That's more of a gripe than anything else though. It certainly doesn't 'ruin' the generation for me.

Black and White 1 also attempted to reboot the series so to speak by making it all new pokemon until after the Elite Four. A nice idea, but I remember not having many fire types on my team, or some of the rarer types around. It also meant if you're not a fan of the designs you're forced with them the entire main game. That, and they made the final evolution of the fire starter Fire/Fighting AGAIN for the third time in a row, which got tiresome fast. I never picked Tepig, basically.

Overall? I'd probably say Gen III. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy both of them. They're good games. I was just least enamoured with these two. Gen V did introduce reusable TMs though, which was a godsend.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, the number of fire types in gen V is still greater than what we had in Diamond and Pearl (which Platinum fixed). Basically, if you don't pick Chimchar as your starter, your only other choice is Ponyta until you get the National Dex. Now THAT's limited fire types.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think it was 3 or 4? I couldn't get past the beginning of the games because i hated all the new pokemon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Well, the number of fire types in gen V is still greater than what we had in Diamond and Pearl (which Platinum fixed). Basically, if you don't pick Chimchar as your starter, your only other choice is Ponyta until you get the National Dex. Now THAT's limited fire types.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Gen IV's limited fire selection. Then again, I really only played Platinum in that generation, so it didn't really affect me. Then again, it is Ponyta, and I love Ponyta, so. I actually rather like Gen IV, but I do agree the fire type shortage is an issue if you choose the adorable Piplup or Turtwig. I really liked Gen IV's starters, by the way.

I'm pretty sure Gen III had an 'all new Pokemon' deal like the first Gen V games had, so it was probably Gen III you were thinking of, Freya. Gen IV had new and old pokemon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Same with Gen III, it just didn;t have all the old Pokemon before tha national dex - only Gold and Silver implemented all the Pokemon up until that point. Gen IV actually did it very similarly to Gen IV. In general, Gen IV always seemed like kind of a rehash of Gen III for me.

I'[m not a big fan of Gen IV just due to how it didn't feel it brought too much new stuff to the franchise. Gen V is my favorite because, aside from the brilliant story, it actually tried to shake some things up, and I loved that you were forced to use only new Pokemon. That way you couldn't just rely on old favorites - you had to familiarize yourself with the new guys and I think that's part of the reason why I like the Gen V Pokemon so much. I hadn;t seen them before and it all felt as magical as first encountering all those new guys in Pokemon Red and Blue for the first time.

With the darker atmosphere, a deconsturction (and reconstruction!) of the Pokemon formula, on top of generally trying to add so many new stuff to a series that many people felt was starting to get stale, I just really liked Black and White overall.

I also don't hate the designs at all. Gen V easily has my favorite bunch of Pokemon in the whole series, but that's always very subjective

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I REMEMBERED. It was Gen 4. Diamond and Pearl.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Same with Gen III, it just didn;t have all the old Pokemon before tha national dex - only Gold and Silver implemented all the Pokemon up until that point. Gen IV actually did it very similarly to Gen IV. In general, Gen IV always seemed like kind of a rehash of Gen III for me.

I'[m not a big fan of Gen IV just due to how it didn't feel it brought too much new stuff to the franchise. Gen V is my favorite because, aside from the brilliant story, it actually tried to shake some things up, and I loved that you were forced to use only new Pokemon. That way you couldn't just rely on old favorites - you had to familiarize yourself with the new guys and I think that's part of the reason why I like the Gen V Pokemon so much. I hadn;t seen them before and it all felt as magical as first encountering all those new guys in Pokemon Red and Blue for the first time.

With the darker atmosphere, a deconsturction (and reconstruction!) of the Pokemon formula, on top of generally trying to add so many new stuff to a series that many people felt was starting to get stale, I just really liked Black and White overall.

I also don't hate the designs at all. Gen V easily has my favorite bunch of Pokemon in the whole series, but that's always very subjective
    I always say Gen IV as the most inoffensive generation. It tends to get ignored quite a lot in these sort of discussions, mainly because it isn't an opinion lightning rod like Gen III and Gen V is. This is both good and bad for it. I do agree with you, it felt the most 'safe' of the generations, but it also messed up the least, in my opinion. It also laid down the really important mechanic of having the move be a special or physical attack, as opposed to tying it to the pokemon type.

I feel as if Black and White attempted to reinvigorate the series which admittedly Gen IV failed to do, but in attempting to do so, also failed. I feel as if Gen VI was the one that got people interested in Pokemon again. That's how I look at it. Honestly, I completely ignored Gen V until last year, when I did end up playing Pokemon Black.

Was Gen V the one that introduced difficulty levels? Did that get expanded upon at all? Because that'd raise my interest more in the series. If they could put Nuzlocke integration into the game itself, as opposed to having to self-impose the rules, that'd be pretty neat.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like gen IV because it was the first one I bought. I'd played the other gens on other people's systems sometimes, but it was the first one that was MINE so it has a special place in my heart

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Man I don't see how Gen V can be anyone's least favorite? They sped up the game significantly and those Rotation battles sprinkled throughout the end game, had me really thinking. Big post game too. Black 2 was some of the most fun I had with a RPG.

Gen III for me, because smurf all that water!
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 07-28-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, gen V added difficulty levels, but only in the sequels and only on a new game +, so yeah, that isn't much.

Still, I completely disagree with you, Formy. I think trying and "failing" (which is subjective here, because if you can't tell, V is my absolute favorite gen) is not better than not trying at all. A status quo in games like Dragon Quest is good because the only thing it does keep consistently is the art style and classic battle system - for Pokemon, a series similarly beloved in Japan, this was really a much welcomed step forward because it kept those same things that made the series great while trying to do something different. Same reason why I love FFXII and Dragon Quarter, two very contested games in their respective franchises - they all dated to be different and in doing so have me an unexpectedly satisfying experience that no other game in the series could provide.