Thread: Remakes

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question Remakes

What are your thoughts on remakes of video games? Is it a good thing because they allow a new generation to experience a classic, or are they simply a cash grab by creatively bankrupt companies who would rather live off old properties over new ones?

What are some good remakes and what are some bad ones? Is it okay for a remake to change elements of the originalor is it best to leave nostalgia alone?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think remakes are great. Of course there's an element of cash grab to it, but I'm not really that miffed by that anymore, especially since so many remakes stem from passion on the part of the game devs that want to maybe implement things they couldn't for the original release (FFIV DS, FFXII IZJS).

On top of that, there's the aforementioned introduction of the game to a new generation, which is always a good thing because the fanbase keeps expanding. Older players can also benefit from this by revisiting the game in a different way than the same old story they had until then.

So yeah, guess I'm a general fan of remakes. I like both remakes that don't stray from the original as well as though that change a lot, as I actually pretty much expect it to be a different experience anyway. Besides, there's always the old game.

As for remakes I really liked, Final Fantasy IV DS, Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition come to mind. I don't think I;ve played any bad remakes or ports, but that doesn't mean they don't exist - I was just lucky.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

On top of what Fynn has already said, remakes are often released into more areas than the original was released. So with a lot of remakes, the PAL region gets some love which is nice.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like them for the reasons that have been stated, but only as long as they don't take away too much from the development of new games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It depends on the quality of the remake and what I'm looking for. For some games it is nice to simply see a facelift. For other games, I prefer it when the really change things up.

I've been playing the Steam version of the FFIV remake lately. I got the DS version back when it came out and beat it, but I haven't touched it much since then. So it's cool to rediscover how much effort (in my opinion) they put into building the game from the ground. I also like how they changed some things up to throw off veteran players, like altered boss tactics.

Remakes CAN be great. The first one that pops into my mind is Tomb Raider Anniversary. It really just blows the original out of the water.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I approve of remakes in general, as long as I know the studio has literally nothing else left in the tank creatively. A hastily done remake rings alarm bells (heck, any hastily designed game for that matter).

I'm not too keen on remakes, same as I am not too keen on sequels. I would like unlimited array of fresh IP's all the time to make room for new ideas, stories and gameplay. No time wasted on rehashing old ideas with better graphics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think they're usually a good way to refresh the game and get it some new attention.

With that being said, some games I cannot play the remakes of. Like the MM remake, I just can't. I love that game so much and they changed Clock Town and I can't deal with that. I'm weird, I know.

But most games I enjoy a remake

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think you really need to separate "remake" from "reskinned port" these days. For me, FFVII: Remake is a real remake. They're changing things up while sticking to the original storyline, characters and themes. It's a new experience. Compare that to things like FFX HD which I understand are basically the original game but looking marginally better, and well... I don't care for reskins. Not unless they are actually taking the reskin to the level they are taking with FFVII. If they recreated FFXII to be on par with the visual quality seen in modern AAA games then I'd be all over it. But really we're seeing a game that still looks blocky by today's standards and I'm not sure I'll buy it. The one saving grace is it has the Zodiac system which I've not experienced before, so there's that.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    or are they simply a cash grab by creatively bankrupt companies who would rather live off old properties over new ones?
    I can't upload a pic to weasel out of this one, so I will just quote the bit I agree with and have done with it. Less is more, less is more (runs away)