Thread: The Borderlands

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Borderlands

So Mr. Carny introduced me to this series... two years ago? Maybe a year ago? Anyway, I've been doing a second playthrough of Borderlands 2 with a different character and I just remember why I loved this game so much.

For a game that is purported to not have a strong story, there's plenty of characterisation going on. Handsome Jack is a great villain. Maybe it is the array of side-quests, but I always feel rather homely when I'm in the company of the Borderlands 1 team, or fighting my way through orcs during Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep campaign.

It's also one of the best games to play with others, which helps. I've been playing it with Mr. Carny now both times (sans my solo Gaige playthrough) and it is great to play as a pair. You don't often get in-room co-op games these days. We bought The Pre-Sequel and while I'd say it wasn't as good as Borderlands 2, it is still a solid entry.

There's also the Tales of the Borderlands game, but I haven't played that yet.

So, what are your thoughts on the series? Played it? Liked it? Hated it?

EDIT: Also, what the hell happened to the title? A u and an e has decided to

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love Borderlands 2 so much. One of the most legitimately hilarious games I've ever played and it improved on the original in basically every way. I've heard mixed things about the Pre-Sequel so I've yet to play that, but I'll have to get around to it at some point.

Too many games on my 'to play' list as it is though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    I love Borderlands 2 so much. One of the most legitimately hilarious games I've ever played and it improved on the original in basically every way. I've heard mixed things about the Pre-Sequel so I've yet to play that, but I'll have to get around to it at some point.

Too many games on my 'to play' list as it is though.
    The Pre-sequel definitely isn't as good as Borderlands 2. For a start, it isn't as long. Completing all the story and DLC campaigns for Borderlands 2 had me clock out at about level 43. In the Pre-sequel, that was about level 33-ish. The campaign isn't as long, but what is there is very good and fleshes out Handsome Jack much more. It's worth playing after Borderlands 2 because you connect the dots about the origins of some things that are very commonplace in the previous game. It also a small 'present-time' story that meshes well with the announced third game, which is in development.

The main characters you can control can also now speak to people, which makes them far more relatable. It was funny hearing the difference my Athena would say to an NPC quest-giver as opposed to Nisha, Carny's character. The classes (that I saw) were fun as well, we chose well and I went defensive and Carny went with the gun-toting Nisha. It balanced out nicely. Low gravity and oxygen are interesting gameplay additions.

Having said that, it definitely is a smaller game, but I got it for £4 (seriously) at my local CEX electronics store so if you get it cheap you still get plenty of bang for your buck. Definitely worth playing with others, that's like half the fun of these games.

The Pre-sequel was published by 2K Australia, not 2K, so maybe they couldn't devote full resources to it. I know they have Battleborn (a game I've not even heard of) so that might have drawn away time on The Pre-sequel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sharky has one of them but I haven't seen him play much of it to have an impression.

He tends to buy games and leave them on the shelf forever

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I love Borderlands. I have all the games on Xbox, but when there was a Humble Bundle with all the Borderlands stuff yeah I picked it up again so I could play online with some other friends who I know have it on PC. I have an issue.

Anyway. Having played 'em all Blands 2 comes out head and shoulders above the rest. All the DLC and extra stuff is just fantastic and I think I have played it through 3 or 4 times at this point and I haven't got bored. The Pre-Sequel is still good, and I had a lot of fun playing it. The first is good too, but it dopes suffer from its general lack of personality in comparison to the others.

Can we talk about Tales from the Borderlands? Have you all played Tales from the Borderlands? Because you should. It is hands down my favourite TellTale game released. It obviously isn't a shooter because it's... a TellTale game. But the story is great, and funny as all heck.

I do really like these games. I definitely agree that Borderlands 2 is the best overall, but the Pre-Sequel was more than worth the £4 we paid for it. Nisha's "Showdown" ability is my favourite ability of all the ones I've used in all three games. The Pre-Sequel also features my favourite talking gun of the series to date, the "Boganella", who throws out vulgarities and obscenities like they're going out of style.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post

Can we talk about Tales from the Borderlands? Have you all played Tales from the Borderlands? Because you should. It is hands down my favourite TellTale game released. It obviously isn't a shooter because it's... a TellTale game. But the story is great, and funny as all heck.
    I really need to! I hear amazing things about it, and obviously being a Borderlands fan, I should.

What platforms is it out? I've never played a TellTale game before, how does it play like? Is it point-n'-click?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It's on all platforms, I believe. And it's a story-driven narrative game, with the main input in the game being dialogue choices which can affect how the game plays out (to a point). There are bits that are more point-n-click-y with walking around and interacting with the environment in between the story sections.