View Poll Results: Hardest gen to choose a starter from?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gen I

0 0%
  • Gen II

1 50.00%
  • Gen III

1 50.00%
  • Gen IV

0 0%
  • Gen V

0 0%
  • Gen VI

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which batch of starters was the hardest to choose from?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Which batch of starters was the hardest to choose from?

Starters are a big part of every Pokemon game, as they're the first real choice you always face, and the Pokemon you choose will probably become a very important part of your team. But sometimes the choice is much difficult to make.

I always go for fire starters and I've never been disappointed in any one of them (though Delphox could have been better). I loved Charizard with his dragony look, Typhlosion with a literal collar made of fire, Blaziken with his badassery, Infernape proving you don't need to be a tall starter to be awesome, Emboar - fire Ganon, Delphox with her magical wand, and then there's the leaked Litten evolution which looks like it could suplex a train!

But I had my doubts in one generation in particular - generation II. It's not that Cyndaquil's design was bad - all of them were simply incredibly well designed. Overall they may be the weakest bunch of starters as they're all single type and have nothing really going for them, they were just way too cute for me to decide!

So which one did you have trouble choosing from?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only really played Gen 1, and while I love all the starters of that Gen, I'm still Charmander for Life bro!

I have started collecting the game recently to play through and catch up so this will become an issue. Based on my research this is where I'm leaning.

I'm getting ready to start Silver pretty soon, and I do have a conundrum with the fact that I can't decide between Cyndaquil or Totodile as I really like both of their designs and evolutions.

For Gen 3, I was leaning towards Treecko cause I love Geckos but I may choose Torchic instead, he's cute.

Gen 4, Piplup. I Don't even need to think about it. I love penguins and he's adorable. It helps that I find the other two very underwhelming. Sadly, this means I'm stuck with Ponyta for my Fire user.

Gen 5, Snivy, cause I love snakes and his evolution line is badass. He's also the first Grass type since Bulabsaur that doesn't offend my aesthetic senses. Though I'm tempted to grab Tepig, just so I can name him Ryoga Hibiki.

Gen 6, going to be another tough choice between Fennick and Froakie. Love their designs.

Blog Entries

None of them are hard to choose for me. If its a water type then I'll have it ( as my signature might tell you)

DJ pon-3
    (Vinyl scratch)

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Gen 1: i liked squirtle and charmander. But usually i choose charmander.
    Gen 2: cyndaquil.
    Gen3: this one. Is hard. I like all of them. And ive used all of them. However i still like treeko the best.
    Gen 4: while infernape is a good pokemon. I dont like what it looks like. The other 2 however i love. Especially piplup.
    Gen 5: this one is hard. But this time because i dont really like any of them. Ive used them all. And i dont ditch my starter. I usually choose tepig though.
    Gen 6: i have only played once. And i used fennekin. It was cool and stuff. But i cant compare to the other 2.

My vote is to gen 3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    What are your thoughts on Popplio then, wizzy?
    Tbh I think he looks unique and cool even though most people don't agree

DJ pon-3
    (Vinyl scratch)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Misread the question. For me though it probably is gen 2 because I love all the starters equally!

Some of the later gens were hard too because I found the starters CRAP

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I just tend to go for the fire one each time. Habit. I actually like Squirtle and Bulbasaur a lot, but dislike their later evolutions (unlike with Charizard) and since you live with the later evolutions much longer than the initial stages, it pretty much nailed it for me on the first game. After that, I've not really cared as much about starters...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!