Thread: Freya's Adventures into Korean Dramas!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Freya's Adventures into Korean Dramas!

I noticed hulu had Korean Dramas on there and I've decided to watch them for... reasons? I hear they are really good so why not. I like K-Pop occasionally so I thought why not give their TV a shot too. SO I'M GOING TO SHARE.

I started on an older one from 2004....

Full House Episode 1 -

What the hell have I got myself into. This is filmed sooooo badly. I could film a better show than this.

I have to remember that:
    • It's basically a soap opera
    • It's from 2004
    • It's from a culture that had been relatively restrictive on their media until fairly recently and haven't had as much time to work on production quality of shows. They may be better now but this is 2004 so it could still be working up to being better. That's 12 years ago!

So Here's the cast I've met so far:

Full_House-Song_Hye-Ko.jpg Han Ji-Eun: This is the main ditzy character. She has great hair and is super ditzy and too trusting. Alright.
    Full_House-Rain.jpg
    Lee Young-Jae: Asian Kylo Ren. Or that's what I thought in some of the angles. Broody Young Actor dude. Who's kinda a jerk.
    Full_House-Han_Eun-Jeong.jpg Kang Hye-Won: Some chick Kylo Ren wants but she's not that interested. She's interested in....
    Full_House-Kim_Sung-Su.jpg
    Yoo Min-Hyuk: This dude. He's charming and Han Ji-Eun totally hit on him when she first met cause she thought he was Japanese and couldn't understand her. WACKY HIJINJKS. Kylo Ren sees him as a brother or something? But he's Mister steal your girl.

Then there's these two assholes.

Full_House-Lee_Yeong-Eun.jpg
    Jin-Hee: She's pregnant and supposed to be Han Ji-Euns friend or something.
    Full_House-Do_Han.jpg
    Dong-Wook:
    But her and this dude totes sent her on some fake trip, left her alone in shanghai and then sold all her stuff in her house or something for cash then disappeared! Dicks. She still thought of them as friends but was just mad at them. That's stupid.

Korean Dramas are strange so far. I didn't finish this episode actually I have like 20 mins left. It's like 1 hr and 17 mins! I had to go to bed and it was already waaaay past my bed time. I'm guessing I'm going to end up deciding to watch these after i'm already in bed and this will be a normal thing. And here I thought I'd make it through all the star treks. I guess this is why I never finish anything haha. I get distracted.

Thoughts about Korean Dramas? Has anyone watched this thing or others?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm amused this is called Full House XD Too bad Ayen isn't here to see this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I was too! It's why I chose it first after I got some recommendations from Cim and Agrias.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Sadly I'm at work and can't photoshop that goddamnit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make Lee Young-Jae Mary Kate and Ashley when you get home while you're at it

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the original Full House passed me by. Is it a long-running series?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Full House is a classic! It's also the only Korean Drama I've ever forced Del Murder to watch. Hahaha.

If you're in the mood for a newer one, there's one that's currently airing called "W" and it's really good.

A lot of Kdramas are kind of terrible. But they're strangely addicting and also, helps with my Korean language skills a ton. My Korean gets noticeably worse during periods where I'm not watching a Kdrama. My least favorite thing about Kdramas is how the dudes are always aggressively grabbing onto girls. And Koreans have a weird thing about not depicting any kind of sex, and the kisses are always super chaste. And some of the super soap opera elements can be so cheesy and cringeworthy. And sometimes, none of it makes a lick of sense. But, Kdramas can also make me cry a river of tears and laugh and the characters can be super endearing, you can't help but root for them.

My favorite older Korean drama is My Name is Kim Sam Soon, and my favorite currently airing ones include Signal, Five Children (Five Enough) and W.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

OH MIRIEL I totally spaced you were korean! Now that I'm watching these I am now interested in learning korean! Is it hard?

Yeah the main guy on Full house, Kylo Ren, Er Lee Young-Jae is kinda a huge dick. I'm not sure how I feel about his outburst of anger in kicking things. I got halfway through ep 2 now. They are really long episodes and I can't manage to finish one entire one each night! I don't have that much time haha

Once I finish this one I'll hit up some newer ones. I hope it's on hulu or netflix cause my "smart" tv has those otherwise I have to hook up a laptop or something to it and that's more complicated and I'm lazy. Haha.

I saw some more historical/period piece ones too. I feel like i'm falling down a rabbit hole now hahaha

Also why doesn't Han Ji-Eun take her friends selling her house more seriously! the cops should arrest those people ughhh I had to pause it before she was able to confront them. She got some info from the gyno that they'd be there the next day so eee maybe she will take them to the cops but I doubt it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Korean is not a hard language to learn. It actually requires less grammatical rules than English, which is a very complex language. It's harder to learn for an English speaker than say, Spanish or Italian, just because it's not a branch of Latin like the European languages.

Korean borrows a lot of words from English too! Radio, robot, camera, coffee, all are basically the English word with a Korean accent.

One of the hard parts of Korean is knowing the formal way of speaking to elders. It's not just a different verb tense like with some other languages. Often there are different words you use.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm trying to learn the alphabet and i'm feeling a bit in-over-my-head because it's so different. And the pronunciations are a bit different too. I am having trouble just saying annyeong haseyo which is like the very first thing! Ack! This will be a challenge for me I'm sure.