Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics: Rio 2016

Blog Entries

Default The Olympics: Rio 2016

This really needs a thread, cannot believe one hasn't been started yet.

The Olympic spirit is something positive and so many sports to choose from, some of which don't get a look in the rest of the time.

BBC Coverage is currently showing a round of Women's Beach Volleyball, Russia vs Brazil.

They're also gearing up for some Rowing Heats in about half an hour (Go Team GB!)

And if the mods have no objection, I shall indulge in some double or multiple posting for this as there will be plenty of updates.

Laters!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've had it on pretty much non stop. Great start from Australia in the pool, the men's 400m freestyle was especially intense.

Currently watching the women's artistic gymnastics. We only have the one girl in this rotation group but she just did a great routine on the uneven bars so that was good to watch.

Blog Entries

My dad and I watched a bit of a Rugby match yesterday as we tried to figure out how it's played. The only sport my dad watches is NASCAR so it was funny listening to him come up with ideas on why they did X or Y during the match. I already had a slight idea of what was going on.

Blog Entries

So it looks like there's no Rowing. The winds are too strong. Shame, I quite like to watch them.

And yeah Rugby is a sport that eludes me, I've tried to get into it and I just can't.

Anyway, I'm gonna include some Fun Facts that the British Media like to throw in:

Fun Fact 1: There's a female gymnast from Uzbekistan who is 41 and has been competing since Barcelona 1992. Wow, that's like the first Olympics I remember!

Oh, I've just learnt Chris Froome bombed in the cycling >_<

Team GB still has Lizzie Armistead. We've had a good record with our female road cyclists, its been our first gold medal of the Olympics at least twice in a row.

EDIT: I was wrong about Lizzie Armistead winning gold, she won silver in London which was our first medal, but I do know for a fact that Nicole Cooke won gold in Beijing.

Later on Team GB also has a chance at winning gold in the swimming later on with Adam Petey, who beat his own world record in one of the heats.

Winning gold in swimming is like some holy grail for us.....for an American its just another day at the pool
    Last edited by Midgar Mist; 08-07-2016 at 05:42 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

So many sports to choose from! Always love the Olympics.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Dunno if anyone else is watching the women's singles in tennis but the Aussie Gavrilova is putting up one hell of a fight against Serena Williams. She's obviously a major underdog but the first set has been absolutely brilliant to watch.

Blog Entries

Some unsportsman-like Russian beat one of our guys in the second round of fencing. The crowd were booing him, even though he won.

The women's cycle race plods on, last I saw there was a Belgian in front. I worked this out from her team colours because the British pundits explain this whole event badly and don't show a table of current positions.

And I've just received word that our very own Andy Murray is playing today. He did look good holding the flag during the Opening Ceremony but, not as good as the topless oiled up guy from Tonga

Articles
    Blog Entries

All the Russian athletes are being booed on account of the recent doping scandal. A Russian swimmer just got booed when she came first in her heat.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just watched Catherine Skinner win gold for Australia in women's trap. Very intense but simply awesome to see. That brings us up to 3 gold now!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah but did anyone see the video doing the rounds of the gymnast breaking his leg in half though?

Some things cannot be unseen.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

No, because I'm not crazy enough to watch a video of someone breaking their leg to start with!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah I saw that. The craziest part about it was the guy's totally calm reaction. He was just staring at it like "oh well trout, guess I can't compete anymore. Can someone come help me with this?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    All the Russian athletes are being booed on account of the recent doping scandal. A Russian swimmer just got booed when she came first in her heat.
    that's sad that people feel the need to boo the few that were allowed to come. If they're there competing they have gone through extensive testing to prove they haven't been doping.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Semi related

Gutted for Geraint Thomas yesterday, such a shame he fell during the road race.

Also the South Korean Men's Archery team totally smashed the USA, so many 10s...

GB is off to a good start in the Tennis.

Hopefully Peaty gets his gold later on tonight!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like seeing the more obscure sports like air rifle.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum