Page 1 of 22 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's paintings thread!

Default Pete's paintings thread!

So lately I've been experimenting quite a lot with painting both analogue and digitally, and decided these pieces don't really belong in my long-running 'Fine Fineliner' thread. So here I'll be bringing you my colorful experiments, I hope you all enjoy them!

LakeRidge_S.jpg

In contrast, these pieces tend to be more atmospheric experiments rather than statements/emotions/ideas or heavy pieces compared to the fineliner pieces. Maybe I one day have the brush technique to put my thoughts/statements about the world in color as well as in black ink. Help me get there; feedback is very welcome!

Both of these are watercolor paintings, taking about 4-5 hours a piece to complete.

IceAlgae_S.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Let me buy these from you, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always love your work, Pete. You're fantastic. Rantz and I both agree that we'd put the second painting on our walls.

Default nyah

woah! the control you have over the colors and how vibrant you make them look is just.....leaves me mouth-hanging :O

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Wow awesome! I love the colours. Where did you get your inspiration? Seriously they are great.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They both remind me of Mordor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Let me buy these from you, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I always love your work, Pete. You're fantastic. Rantz and I both agree that we'd put the second painting on our walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shusuika View Post
    woah! the control you have over the colors and how vibrant you make them look is just.....leaves me mouth-hanging :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Wow awesome! I love the colours. Where did you get your inspiration? Seriously they are great.
    Thank you all for the kind words!

As for inspiration, I always like landscapes that are not fouled/exploited/controlled by the hands of people, so wilderness is usually key. I also like to imagine how nature would 'correct our mistakes' should mankind wipe itself out. As for color palettes and technique I've been watching/analyzing quite a few studio Ghibli animated films (Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke are favorites because of their themes). The watercolored background art is absolutely stunning and I learn a lot about lighting and atmosphere just by taking a good look at them.

More pieces soon

New stuff, new stuff!

FloatingFungus_S.jpg

This first one is watercolor on canvas. Space out with me here: it's about floating fungi of the future that thrive on mankind and the pollution we leave behind. (Inspired by David Attenborough's bit about how certain fungi attack insect colonies that have grown too big and start to become a hazard to the environment, it's well worth your 3 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/<wbr>watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8)

Sin+Jecht_S.jpg

The second one is a digitally painted sketch I sort of did too late for the FF Ciddies. You may have already seen it in the FF Ciddies thread. It's more of a quick painting, but I like the color palette a lot.

Hope you enjoy, as always feedback is welcome.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Love the fungi panting, Pete. Very, uh, Miyazaki.

Thank you thank you, I take that as one hell of a compliment!

New painting!

KnightOfTheForest_S.jpg

This time I gave acrylic paint a try, and I definitely find it much harder to work with compared to watercolors. Acrylics feel so... earthy, while watercolors feel more sky-like. Anyway, after about 5-6 sessions of re-painting several parts (especially the knight) I'm finally content. I hope it shows, tell me what you think!

Here's a preview of a new digital painting I'm working on. This is only a slice, the final piece will be a garden about 4 times as wide as this bit. Superstoked on it though, I hope I can deliver the full thing with the same quality.

LandOfGigaSunflowers_S.jpg

Tell me what you think

oh, sweet nuthin' themagicroundabout's Avatar

You're right about acrylics! I guess it is the consistency. Have you tried oils before? The paintings are looking lovely though, that last one is absolutely smurfing beautiful, the colours are stunning. I look forward to seeing the rest of the picture!

Thanks magicroundabout! I finished the painting yesterday but...

Day_XS.jpgMid_XS.jpgNight_XS.jpg

... I can't choose which background to use. It's a digital painting and I have sold a few copies of previous ones before. That is of course awesome, but now the thought of what people will think is messing with my head.

The first one is bright and cheerful. I like it, but it's also a bit cotton-candy-land-ish compared to my usual work. This is the background I have worked with for 90% of the actual painting process, however.

The second one has some more late afternoon vibe to it. The sky is less bright and that makes the painting a bit more balanced; the background steals less attention from the water and foliage up front.

The third one is where it's almost nighttime. I find this one the most balanced in terms of contrast between foreground and background. The darkness adds a little mystery (something I'm definitely into) in trade of the cheerfulness.

Maybe you guys can help me choose?

PS: Feel like I'm kinda showing a weak spot as the artist here, but asking for help is never wrong right?
    Last edited by Pete for President; 01-24-2013 at 10:03 AM.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I like the first one. The giant tentacled sunflowers coming out of the mist are ominous and a nice contrast. ^_^