Thread: Stand Alone vs. Multimedia

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Stand Alone vs. Multimedia

With Kingsglaive finally getting U.S. theater release dates, this has led me to wonder about something. How do you feel about games where the story is split up into different multimedia elements as opposed to a game whose plot is largely self-contained in the one title. To help better differentiate between these two types, in terms of multimedia, I'm speaking of games which were built around the concept from the get go as opposed to series where it got popular and the movie/novel/animated series came afterwards. So I'm thinking more in line with ://.hack versus Kingdom Hearts, where the former started off a multimedia piece to learn the whole story versus, the standalone game that was successful enough to explode into a multimedia franchise.

Basically, do you prefer your game plots to be in the one game, or do you prefer having several mediums and extra content to try and fill the gap because the games only focus on one part of the story?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I prefer it being contained to the game, but that's just me

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I prefer if the important story stuff is in one game but I also enjoy multimedia that fleshes out the world. I just don't want to have to go out and buy a bunch of books to understand the story - but I do like having books being "an option", so to speak, if you want extras.