View Poll Results: What's your favorite Playstation console?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation

3 17.65%
  • Playstation 2

14 82.35%
  • Playstation 3

0 0%
  • Playstation 4

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite PlayStation console?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo What's your favorite PlayStation console?

Not counting the handhelds!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The PS2. And that's without even taking into account the fact that it plays PSX games.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

PS2 cos the main screen gives Nightmares to kids and even worse if your disc is unreadable

also i can play FF7 8 9 10 12 all on it. sure ps3 can play those too. but ps3 doesnt give nightmares

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I decided not to count backwards compatibility, and just base my choice of off what each console did.

The PS2 certainly dominated, but I think the PS1 was just as strong against Nintendo and Sega. It won on it's first time out, and won convincingly.

The PS2 kept running up the score on Nintendo, and made sure Microsoft new who the boss was, but PS1 really showed Nintendo the mistakes they made in designing the N64 and in dropping Sony as a partner.

PS2 is one of the best consoles of all time. Especially for a JRPG lover.

It was a hard choice between 1 and 2, but I picked 1 because I've played more games on it.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

The PS2, it's up there as my favorite console of all time.

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PS1. ultimate nostalgia box

PS2 because it had the added bonus of backwards compatibility, though PS4 keeps getting stronger and stronger.

PS2, of course! So many favourite games, so many years spent with this beautiful machine!
    I'm the guy who loves this one more than hi-tech things with so many boring (to me, of course) games - deal with it!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

PS2. So many great titles for it that you can still enjoy it today.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ugh, it's a serious toss up between the PS1 and PS2 for me. I mean the PS1 was a more exciting system with a great library whereas the PS2 took a while to get to full steam for me but on the other hand, some of my favorite entries for a few series (mostly Konami titles) really reached their apex on the PS2. Then again, Square and Capcom were still in their Golden Age during the PS1 era but began to fall from grace in the PS2 era but I also got the SMT franchise in the PS2 era...

Can I just say the PS3 was a piece of trout and just go?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ugh, it's a serious toss up between the PS1 and PS2 for me. I mean the PS1 was a more exciting system with a great library whereas the PS2 took a while to get to full steam for me but on the other hand, some of my favorite entries for a few series (mostly Konami titles) really reached their apex on the PS2. Then again, Square and Capcom were still in their Golden Age during the PS1 era but began to fall from grace in the PS2 era but I also got the SMT franchise in the PS2 era...

Can I just say the PS3 was a piece of trout and just go?
    Yeah, the PS2 was definitely the Golden Age for Atlus. And I'd argue SE's fall from grace didn't really set in until the PS3 era, since both KH I and II were great successes, FFX has a ton of fans and FFXII was ahead of its time. Sure, we had the Bouncer which ultimately killed the concept of SE actually making more original IPs like they did in the PS1 era. So it's still a pretty solid time for them.

I voted PS2 mostly because it's the only one I've owned so far. I played some PS1 games on the PSP and at my cousin's and enjoyed them a lot (the fact that we got much fewer of them here notwithstanding), but the PS2 was just a dream come true when I got it and I played the hell out of it.

Still, the DS line remains my favorite platform lineup of all time, but my PS2 and I had some good times.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Yeah, the PS2 was definitely the Golden Age for Atlus. And I'd argue SE's fall from grace didn't really set in until the PS3 era, since both KH I and II were great successes, FFX has a ton of fans and FFXII was ahead of its time. Sure, we had the Bouncer which ultimately killed the concept of SE actually making more original IPs like they did in the PS1 era. So it's still a pretty solid time for them.
    Barring FFXII, I would say the PS2 era was when Squenix started to go downhill. Not a fan of FFXs, the MMO, the console KH games, and I watched Seiken Denetsu die while Front Mission got one last hooray before SE dropped the No Export for you card on the franchise. It was definitely the era where Square lost the ability to scratch my itch for fun and diverse JRPGs and instead I went elsewhere and discovered things like SMT. The company was more creative and held a better track record for me in the PS1 and SNES eras. PS3 was pretty much when the company just imploded in on itself. I'm hoping the PS4 will improve their standing with their fans and the gaming industry.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, at least things are looking optimistic so far!

And the PS2 also gave us Dragon Quest VIII from SE. While probably not the best DQ overall, it's still a very good game (seriously, is there a main Dragon Quest that's less than amazing) that showed us how you can do a life-sized world map on a PS2 game, so it wasn't all bad for SE. But yeah, the smaller IPs pretty much died here, I'll agree. Poor Unlimited Saga.