• I might pick it up again

4 66.67%
  • Worth a try

0 0%
  • for Rah Doh

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skyrim Remasterd

I'm interested in this because I have an old broken down toaster for a computer that can't run any PC game made after 2005 or so and it would probably blow up if I tried to play Skyrim.

But the PS4 version will be compatible with PC mods. I am excited for this. SAVE THE DARK BROTHERHOOD!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    But the PS4 version will be compatible with PC mods. I am excited for this. SAVE THE DARK BROTHERHOOD!
    Latest news is that the PS4 version may not support mods at all, sadly. Bethesda's announcement is brief, and seems to blame Sony for the issue.

It's hard to know the full story given the limited info. IGN's analysis suggests there's a difference in policy between Sony and Bethesda, with the former wanting some kind of restrictions or vetting of fan-created content, and Bethesda wanting to let people create content without intervention or oversight.

If that's the case, I can see both sides. Skyrim mods so far have included a fair amount of copyright infringement, and some downright sick trout like sex slavery and stabbing children to death. If Sony's got policies around the kind of material it can supply or facilitate via their network and devices, then they need to comply with that policy. Especially when there are possible implications for their users under PSN's TOS, or users' local laws. By that same token, Bethesda may need to take a hands-off approach to mods, so they never actually assume responsibility for supplying, approving or creating any of the contentious mods.

I'd hope the parties can resolve this somehow, but if there are major sticking points as described in my guesswork above, then it seems unlikely. Unfortunately, this would be a bit of a deal-breaker for me. As a PS4 owner, I don't want to pay full price for a product that's a lesser or limited version of what other users are getting on other platforms. Without mods, the Skyrim remaster is just a graphical upgrade with bug fixes. Which is fine, but definitely not a must-have until it subsantially drops in price post release. Having access to fan-created content would add layers of experimentation and fun to the game, and without those additions I'd be better off financially if I just stuck to my current version of the game.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I agree with Big D. I was going to get the remastered edition on my PS4 specifically for the mods but it looks like Sony is not willing to do it, and I feel disappointed in them for that. It's a similar situation for Fallout 4. I get what Big D is saying about some of the questionable content but presumably Microsoft has found a way to moderate this that allows mods to be reproduced on the Xbox One.

Exactly. There's murky waters in the realm of mods, but that's to be expected. If it can work on the XBox One, it can work on PS4. Bethesda has made it easy to cull questionable mods when infringements happen either due to copyright or stealing from other modders. It's just a case of making a claim, investigating it, and taking it down. It doesn't have to be a big deal

Obviously Sony was keen on the idea initially, I wonder what they originally thought this was going to work like? DLC? Go smurf yourself with that attitude, Sony. Modders aren't meant to be your freaking money-cow and that would be a very EA/Activision stance to take

I do find it amusing how insistent people are to get mad at Bethesda over this throughout the internet for promising mods in the firsts place. They fail to realize that Sony initially said okay, and that Bethesda had mods working on the Fallout for PS4, there was a closed beta for it. They were ready to go. And if mod support were never mentioned and Xbox got mods and PS4 never did, people would through an even bigger fit at Bethesda. And then what? We find out Sony cock-blocked the idea behind closed doors? At least this way we know the potential, and we know the stupidity

I don't know why this is such an issue I'm passionate about but I am seriously currently planning to buy an Xbone just for Fallout 4 and Skyrim remastered to be played as they're meant to...

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In the latest turnabout, there are going to be mods after all. The catch is that the PS4 will only support mods that use the game's exisiting assets - no new models or audio, presumably.

I think this is a good outcome. It alleviates possible concerns about IP or other issues in fan-created content, and it also reduces the chance of people trying to play with mods that could overload the system's hardware by being too resource-intensive.

Sure, it means no dragons re-skinned as Randy Savage dragons or the cast of Thomas the Tank Engine, but there's still plenty of innovation and creativity available there. This re-release is back on my radar again.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

That's great to hear. I ended up messing about on the PC version instead and had a bunch of great mods for that, although my laptop struggles a bit with frame rate sometimes. As they're coming for Fallout 4 too I'll see what the quality and variation is like for that before I decide whether or not I want to pick up my third (!) version of Skyrim.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    In the latest turnabout, there are going to be mods after all. The catch is that the PS4 will only support mods that use the game's exisiting assets - no new models or audio, presumably.

I think this is a good outcome. It alleviates possible concerns about IP or other issues in fan-created content, and it also reduces the chance of people trying to play with mods that could overload the system's hardware by being too resource-intensive.

Sure, it means no dragons re-skinned as Randy Savage dragons or the cast of Thomas the Tank Engine, but there's still plenty of innovation and creativity available there. This re-release is back on my radar again.
    Not sure about the overloading part. A mod could easily make the game load 5000 characters based on existing assets into one small area

However, it does allow for a lot of gameplay tweaking mods, and if bethesda should so wish, they could release a "modders kit" DLC, either free or (probably, sadly) paid, which contains a ton of assets that are just meant to be used in mods.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Not sure about the overloading part. A mod could easily make the game load 5000 characters based on existing assets into one small area
    Yeah, I don't think Sony ever cited that as a real concern with mods - just me speculating, really.

if bethesda should so wish, they could release a "modders kit" DLC, either free or (probably, sadly) paid, which contains a ton of assets that are just meant to be used in mods.
    It sounds like this is their plan. As they say in their news post: "Mods on PlayStation 4 will allow you to modify and create your own content by using our Creation Kit available here. You will not be able to upload external assets with your PlayStation 4 mods, but you will be able to use any assets that come with the game, as most mods do. By creating a Bethesda.net account, you’ll be able to browse and try mods right from within the game."

Wow, I thought (and it's generally being advertised as such) that Sony was the one who caved and gave in. But this makes it sound like Bethesda is the one who caved, considering their original cancellation announcement stated that people would not be able to create mods "as intended" being able to do whatever they want. Now they can't do whatever they want, per se, but can only do what the vanilla game is capable of letting them do. Which is generally good enough for me since I mostly want less restrictions on which outfits can be paired with which pieces of armor and stuff. But I think I'll still be waiting and just getting an XBox One for Black Friday or something and getting the games for that instead

I still see it as Sony cock-blocking the issue, and my computer can no longer handle even Bethesda games. And if I want Bethesda games and want to be able to play them the way they are intended then I will get them on a platform that can handle them the way they are intended. And since Xbox Ones are already only $200 they should be ridiculously affordable on a huge sale day