tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Pretty sure Obsidian personnel have gone on record saying they don't hold a grudge against Bethesda and would happily work with them on another Fallout again. Gotta do what you gotta do to get those visitation rights
    Last edited by Vyk; 08-30-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Freudian slip

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Bethesda also failed to pay them a bonus because their game felt short of the target score on Metacritic, after Bethesda forced them to release the game early.
    New Vegas fell short of the rating by like, .1.

It was a trout deal Obsidian was given, Royalties based off the metacritic rating is a terrible deal, but if Obsidian wanted to make that Fallout Game with that engine, no choice but to take a trout deal.
    The sad thing is that's a trout deal that's common in the industry. Development teams have bonuses tied to Metacritic scores all the time. And if they're really lucky, they'll actually get those bonuses once they've earned them.

Yeah, when it came out that they got boned that way, and people were like "What were you thinking, taking a deal like that?" and some other developers came to their defense stating that it's hard to get away from deals like that from big developers, so either you take the risk, or you don't get the money and may not to get to make the game you want

Also, it's been a long time so I can't cite a source, but during one discussion, the tone of it made me think that it was more ZeniMax's choice to do that to Obsidian, rather than Bethesda themselves. Corporate Beurocracy

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    After the bs that Obsidian had to go through after New Vegas? I would honestly be shocked if they worked for Bethesda again.

Mind you, I would love a new Obsidian Fall Out. SO much better then the bethesda fall out titles.
    Those issues were hyped way up by the gaming media, I'm pretty sure rope kid's on record a couple years back saying that there's no bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda/Zenimax and though they might want to negotiate new terms, they'd be perfectly open to working together again.

Plus, Pillars of Eternity was a pretty big success and they're already working on Tyranny for Paradox. They're in an inherently stronger position and can negotiate from that position.