Thread: why the hell does the hot water come oot slow. and cold water comes out like niagra f

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Default why the hell does the hot water come oot slow. and cold water comes out like niagra f

This is really annoying. I just want it to be equal but racial superiorty of the cold water ruins everything.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

In my place, we don't get no hot water unless we set the boiler up a coupla hours in advance. And we ain't complainin'! So ya best set your priorities straight, sonny!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh. Well I don't have that issue? Maybe it's your plumbing/hot water heater?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    In my place, we don't get no hot water unless we set the boiler up a coupla hours in advance. And we ain't complainin'! So ya best set your priorities straight, sonny!
    I think we have to do that at my dads.

Why cant water be normal eh? Stupid water. We would be alot better wioot it.

(Jk)

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I have a new house and water comes out just fine here.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

There's a bottleneck somewhere in the plumbing, galuf. Although warm water often has a tiny bit less pressure because it has to go through a boiler while the cold water has a more direct pipeline.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Or, your hot water heater is just really far from the fixture that you are attempting to use. The water that is still in the pipes isn't going to stay hot so you have to get that water out first before the hot water comes. Have you ever noticed that the longer the cold water is on the colder it gets? That's because it's pushed out the water in the pipes in your house that had been heated up to room temperature while sitting in the pipes.

Because of physics.

Essentially, all the water you use gets to you as cold water. It's not heated in transport, because doing so would be a waste of energy and terribly inefficient, and most water runs underground, where it's well shielded from solar radiation, the easiest natural way to heat it.

Because of this, all the water in the pipes in your house is cold. The only hot water is that water sitting inside your water heater. The heater itself is heavily insulated, and held to a particular temperature, with a heating element that kicks in when it gets too low. And that's assuming you have a constant-heater design like this. While such designs are common among apartments and other places that have to have a constant hot water supply, but plenty of houses have a design that only even starts heating the water when it's called for, as this is far more energy efficient.

So, depending on the design of your water heater, not only do you have to flush the cold water out of the system first, but you may have to heat water as you have none on hand.

Running a water heater is like running a heater in your house: You're putting energy into the system, which means there's an energy cost. Regardless of how much you put in, it will slowly leak out as there is no perfect insulation. So, if you want to get instant hot water, you'd have to design yourself a system which will heat all the pipes in your house all the time (at significant cost), and then a secondary system which will cool your water specifically when you're ready to ask for cold water.

So, long story short, because physics. Things like to go to the temperature of the things around them. Water runs through cold ground and is well insulated. Heating it up requires energy. Supplying that energy constantly is inefficient, wasteful, and expensive.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Alternatively the hot water is hiding and laughing at your pain.