Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to Kingsglaive this weekend?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Good to hear. From the trailers I've seen it looks like it's laden with longtime FF fan service.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just got back from it too. Mixed thoughts, definitely a film with real strengths and some irksome weaknesses.

What really shone: The visual design and animation. Fantastic attention to fine detail in art, architecture, fashion and technology. Great world-building for the major cultures and their ways of life.

Good action pieces, too - lots of practical magic, showing familiar spells at play in the 'real' world instead of a turn-based arena, and a neat blending of magic and modern technology.

Regis, the Chancellor and other major characters got plenty of exposure and were a pleasure to watch.

The actual main cast, though - those unique to the film - were a bit uninspiring. Nyx, purportedly the protagonist, is positively as dull as dishwater. They could've easily made him more unique and compelling. Crowe was neat, but (SPOILER)got sent to the refrigerator to create angst for the guys before we really got to know her.

The film's handling of Lunafreya was disappointing, too. It seemed like she had plenty to contribute, but the other characters were hell-bent on mollycoddling her instead:

"OK, I've got an idea-"
    "NO DON'T DO IT YOU'LL BE KILLED"

"Right, I'm gonna go do the thing-"
    "NO STOP I MUST PROTECT YOU"

Maybe she'll be less of a doormat in the game, and they just didn't want to give away what she's capable of at this early stage.

Lots of high-quality fan-service in this film, and it was neat to see some classic entities in near-photo-realistic glory:
    Oh, and
    • (SPOILER)the Knights of the Round fighting an army of Diamond Weapons.
    For an FFVII fanboy or fangirl, that's some price-of-admission trout right there.

In conclusion? I think Kingsglaive bodes well for FFXV, provided the game's heroes turn out to be more complex and engaging, and the supporting cast get more real agency. Hopefully the film just let itself down in that regard to avoid detracting from the game by creating heroes we might miss later on.

There's a brief post-credits scene, so be sure to stick around.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not surprised any X is bland and boring. I mean, he looks bland and boring and the movie being announced as focusing as him was actually one of the reasons why I wasn't too excited.

That and inconsistent character designs are a huge pet peeve of mine.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That and inconsistent character designs are a huge pet peeve of mine.
    Which part/characters are you referring to there?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ardyn and Luna, mostly, as from the images I've seen they look quite noticeably different from their in-game versions. Regis looks pretty much the same, though, so it's weird how inconsistent that is.

But yeah, that's a minor difference and one that won't bother many people. It just bothers me because I just like it when designs of specific characters remain consistent throughout various installments.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fair enough. I'm purposely avoiding spoilers, so I haven't seen much of the art so I couldn't draw the same comparison. When I see that sort of thing elsewhere, I just try to chalk it up to that character wearing different clothes, accessories or hairstyles from time to time. When it's a more drastic physical or facial change, though, it's harder to explain it away.

It's already going to be a bit odd having Luna and Regis voices by different actors, but their in-game voices sound fine to me so I'm not bothered.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    The film's handling of Lunafreya was disappointing, too. It seemed like she had plenty to contribute, but the other characters were hell-bent on mollycoddling her instead:

"OK, I've got an idea-"
    "NO DON'T DO IT YOU'LL BE KILLED"

"Right, I'm gonna go do the thing-"
    "NO STOP I MUST PROTECT YOU"

Maybe she'll be less of a doormat in the game, and they just didn't want to give away what she's capable of at this early stage.
    That was almost tragically hilarious to me. She seemed pretty competent and perfectly capable of making herself useful and not just a damsel to protect, but everyone else kept her down and told her to pretty much not get in their way so they can protect her. And then those protectors screw up and she ends up in situations where she's completely vulnerable and *can't* contribute anymore. I was just waiting for her to be like 'smurf you just let me drive the goddamn car so you can focus on the big thing pursuing us alright' at some point and put them back in their place, but alas, talking back against the people trying to save her isn't her jam it seems.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Woah, I just found out it's actually being shown at a small indie theater on the OSU campus not far from me, at the most bizarre showtimes I've ever seen (9:50pm tomorrow night and 12:10am tonight/tomorrow morning).

No way can I make those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Talking about the reaction, the critical reception is... not good.
    Seems good to me.

AUDIENCE SCORE

79%
    liked it

Average Rating: 4.1/5
    User Ratings: 1,647

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

He did specify critical reception, not audience.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The audience isn't critical, you know
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Clearly Formy was referring to the 8% movie critics have given it, not the 80% that the general audience has given it.

Looks like Europe gets it early. You can buy it now on Playstation Network or iTunes.

I still have to wait until Tuesday to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    He did specify critical reception, not audience.
    And I don't care what critics think about movies. If a movie is well received by people (that might enjoy that genre), it says a lot more than some critic that is being forced against their will to watch something they wouldn't normally enjoy in their free time.

Not hard to understand what I meant.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yeah, I understood what you were getting at and I generally agree (as does Formalhaut since he commented as such earlier in the thread). But it also wasn't hard to see that Formalhaut clearly wasn't talking about the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

But that's cool about it coming to Europe. I might pick it up today.