Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone going to Kingsglaive this weekend?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Kind of annoyed. I pre-ordered FFXV Limited Edition thing and that pre-order includes the movie. But now the game isn't out so I don't get the movie. What do.

How much is the film? Do you get the traditional DVD/Blu-Ray extras if you order it via PSN, or just the film itself? If you get the extras, I may well cancel my pre-order of the game and re-pre-order it on PSN instead and just buy the film on it's own. It doesn't have the movie included in that one but it does have the season pass...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

You can get the extras, I believe? I seem to remember there being something about behind the scenes stuff. £14 for the HD, £10 for SD.

As expected, critics opinion doesn't mirror my own.

Loved the movie, and it hyped me up even more for the game. I do wish they had a bigger role for Noctis, but it makes sense given we're gonna be seeing a lot of him in the game.

Oh dear god what a tragically abysmal excuse for a movie that was.

... I really liked it!

Seriously, I don't think I've ever been so conflicted by a movie. Every critical part of my personality can't help but absolutely tear it to shreds - the writing, the acting, the direction, the editing... it was all just horrendous. The way they treated their female characters (all two of them) was worse. I'm terrified the writing is going to be just as awful in Final Fantasy XV.

And yet I had a great time and would absolutely recommend it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Just finished watching it finally. It was actually quite good. The animation/cgi is absolutely phenomenal. You completely forget you're watching an animated film at various points. It treads dangerously close to the uncanny valley in others.

I can see why some people thought it was bad though. It's full of things that, obviously, are explained in the game but not in the movie so unless you've read prior info about the game there's a ton of stuff that will make absolutely no sense. The writers wrote the script under the assumption that you were already familiar with the universe, which is kind of silly seeing as the movie came out three months before the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Can anyone who has already got it let me know of any extras they received (if any), and where they ordered from?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I'm terrified the writing is going to be just as awful in Final Fantasy XV.
    I'm worried about that too. But at the same time, what we've seen of the game's main characters (especially in 'Brotherhood') makes me think that they're much more interesting and better written than the 'Kingsglaive' cast. The interactions, backstory and dialogue seems much more fleshed-out and engagingly human. I've still got concerns about characters like Lunafreya, but at the very least it seems like Ignis, Gladiolus and Prompto will be worthwhile.

That said, the doubts raised by 'Kingsglaive' mean I might abandon plans to pre-order and wait till FFXV's out, so that I can judge the reactions from people whose opinions I value. If the game's characters turn out to be as flat and wooden as their movie forerunners, that might just be enough for me not to bother with the game until it hits the bargain shelves.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's also worth considering the fact that video games and movies are vastly different mediums with differing "languages", so to speak. Writing a movie and writing s video game are two very different ways of writing with differing requirements, so just the fact that someone writes good video games doesn't mean they'll write a good movie.

That said, while I know Nojima's responsible for the game script, I don't think the same is true for the movie, so realistically speaking, the writing of the movie is in no way indicative of the writing in the game. The lore and world building is shared, as are some character profiles, but I imagine that's it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The lore and world-building were some of my favourite parts of 'Kingsglaive', so that's a good thing in my books.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

~I have not watched Kingsglaive~

From some of the descriptions about how Lunafreya is handled, I'm kinda hoping that since she's been coddled in this movie it'll make her breaking out and being her own woman after all the crap that goes down more exciting, I guess? We'll know that she's been coddled and told she can't do anything, but then she just goes "Nah m8, I'm gonna do what I want" and then stabs a guy in the face.

I mean, maybe it won't end up that way, but.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post

From some of the descriptions about how Lunafreya is handled, I'm kinda hoping that since she's been coddled in this movie it'll make her breaking out and being her own woman after all the crap that goes down more exciting, I guess? We'll know that she's been coddled and told she can't do anything, but then she just goes "Nah m8, I'm gonna do what I want" and then stabs a guy in the face.

This is kinda what I'm expecting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post

I can only hope that's the case. Because I'll say in no uncertain terms that Kingsglaive probably has some of the worst depictions of female characters of recent times. They exist only to further the development of the male characters and serve as clichéd plot devices. We go through the full gamut of princess tropes. Princess locked away in a castle tower? Check. Princess kidnapped and in need of rescue? Check. Protect the helpless princess from the evil forces? Check!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I am not holding my breath about anything, tbh. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Can anyone who has already got it let me know of any extras they received (if any), and where they ordered from?
    Are you talking about just the movie? Because if you get it from the PSN Store, you get 4 behind the scenes bonus features.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That said, while I know Nojima's responsible for the game script, I don't think the same is true for the movie, so realistically speaking, the writing of the movie is in no way indicative of the writing in the game. The lore and world building is shared, as are some character profiles, but I imagine that's it.
    That's absolutely correct, and anyone worried that the writing in Kingsglaive might reflect that of the game should keep that in mind. Kazushige Nojima, who is an FF veteran and wrote VII, VIII, and X, wrote FFXV. He had nothing to do with Kingsglaive.

Actually it's interesting to note that Kingsglaive was not written by someone who has a history with Final Fantasy or Square Enix at all, but rather by Takashi Hasegawa, the guy who wrote Tales of Eternia/Symphonia/Vesperia/The Abyss. Interesting choice Square Enix.