The Adventure Log of Sephex

"My name is Sephex, and after the events of today, I have decided to record my experience should something happen to me. My whole life there has been two undeniable facts. One, that the only place I have ever known is the castle of Tantegel with in the Alefgard continent. Second, that I am the descendant of Erdrick, a brave warrior who has once restored peace to this forsaken land..."

"I had barley woken up when King Lorik's personal guards grabbed me like some common thief, thrust me into the King's chamber, and locked the door behind me. I had thought I had done something wrong, but before I had a chance to speak King Lorik tasked me with a similar deed Erdrick set out on so long ago."

"His tone was as if I were to fetch an apple from the local farm stand, but apparently I, a barley trained warrior, was to immediately set unto a land I was completely unfamiliar with and singlehandedly take on the Dragonlord and his army."

"I always knew a time would come when I would be expected to follow in Erdrick's footsteps, but I never expected to have to begin my quest so suddenly. I quickly shook any doubts I had and asked King Lorik for his finest equipment! My doubts immediately returned when His 'Majesty' more or less told me I would only be given what was in the chamber and nothing else. I decided to go back to my room to at least put on a decent set of clothes."

"When the door wouldn't budge an eruption of laughter poured from all of the guard's mouths like spoiled whine. A light chuckle came from Lorik himself as he explained that all of my clothes and possessions have been burned. I were to literally only take what's in the chambers to start my quest. Mouth agape, I stared at the King in horrified shock. What kind of joke was this?! As if he read my thoughts, Lorik explained that, according to the Ancient Scrolls of Honor, Erdrick started his journey with the exact items found in the chamber. Begrudgingly, but still in sheer disbelief, I decided to make due and collect my new belongings."

"120 gold, a single torch, and a key to get out of the room I was locked in. They couldn't have been serious. I gave King Lorik the biggest side eye I could muster, but he sat there meeting my gaze, unflinching. I briefly considered asking how anyone would think that Erdrick began his journey stuck in a locked room in his pajamas possessing the key he needed to leave said room, but I decided it wasn't worth my time. Anything I owned is now apparently ashes and I had to figure out a way to arm myself."

"At least not all my moments in that chamber were filled with its residents being obtuse. Though I never left the castle my whole life, I was familiar with the town. You can easily see it from just about any east window. Plus, I have talked to a few residents that happened to wander into Tantegel for trading."

"I knew something was missing. Strange that Lorik forgot to mention it. Along with Alefgard being in peril, Gwaelin was also kidnapped by the Dragonlord and hidden away somewhere on the continent. The King awkwardly coughed while clearing his throat and asked me to rescue his only daughter if I had time. Strange. Either he didn't care about the princess or he was that worried about this land's fate."

"Though we lived in the same castle, I never got to spend any time with Gwaelin. I only caught glimpses of her here and there. Every single time I saw her face she had the same exact smile and whenever I heard her speak she was usually arguing with guards. Something about 'cow rust?' Never paid attention that much. Well, I think the right thing to do is to at least see if I can uncover her whereabouts..."

"I decided to see if I could procure any other equipment laying around in the castle, but every door I tried was locked! One of the guards accosted me as if I should have known that the King ordered ALL THE DOORS IN THE KINGDOM TO BE LOCKED THAT CAN ONLY BE OPENED WITH A MAGIC KEY!! WHAT?! First Lorik fails to mention his kidnapped daughter, and now this?! Whose side is he on?! Has he lost his mind?! Fine, I'll try to gather some info and then I'm leaving."

"I didn't need the advice from that man. My whole life I was told that I would eventually had to face many battles when I set out on my quest. But there surely won't be that many...will there?"

"The Dragonlord works quickly. I was just woken up this morning, maybe an hour or two ago as I write this, and there are already rumors of entire towns being wiped off the map. Forget sticking around and talking to people. I have some money. It's finally time to get equipped and truly begin my quest!"

"Just moments after I left Tantegel and began to take in the scenery I noticed another castle across the river. It...it couldn't be...but it was! The Dragonlord's castle, Charlock, was RIGHT THERE! No wonder he can work so quickly! The evil is quite literally a stone throws away! I think I can hear him laughing right now!! Why don't we--hold on a moment, I must speak with Lorik one more time before I go to town..."

"...this situation is getting more and more ridiculous. Surely Erdrick didn't have to face such overpowering stupidity! I went back into the chamber and practically screamed at the King to build some boats and have me and tons of guards storm the Dragonlord's castle to quickly end this affair! The guards laughed AGAIN and I was told THAT NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO BUILD A BOAT!! What is wrong with these people?!"

"After throwing up an obscene gesture with my hands at both Tentagel and Charlock, I tried to cool off as I went to the town of Becconary."

"It was hard to cool off when the town guards spoke to me in such an 'encouraging' manner. I know that I was literally sheltered, but I had no idea the citizens of this continent, as little of them as I know, seemed to be so straightforward and curt."

"What also didn't help my mood is discovering that only one town on this whole continent had magic keys to open doors. One town. All the doors everywhere were locked. But one town has them. One town. Has the keys. All the doors are locked. One. Town. Has. The. Only. Keys. That. Will. Unlock. Said. Doors."

"Before I went shopping for equipment some lady assumed that I assumed that she was Gwaelin. I didn't ask. I happened to be passing her by before she blurted out that she wasn't the Princess. She looked decent enough so I know she hasn't lost her mind. What a strange thing to say to someone so suddenly..."

"120 gold only left me with some pretty poor options. It's like Lorik wanted me to get killed right out of the castle gates! Since, for some bizarre reason, the Dragonlord's monsters carry gold, I know I can go fight for a fatter wallet. I could go back out there with nothing but my fists and my pajamas and earn a few more gold pieces for a copper sword (which is sadly the best weapon in this kingdom it seems), don leather armor and hope that protects me well enough until I can earn a bit more gold for a club (not even sure why the bamboo pole is for sale, I thought it was a decoration), or buy the club and THEN get the leather armor."

"Considering the day I have had, I think bashing a few monsters with a club is just what I needed."

"Well, I am finally off to begin my quest despite the baffling and maddening circumstances I find myself in. Who knows if I'll be even remotely successful when I seem to be surrounded by an uncooperative King, towns people with piss poor planning/equipment/attitudes, and legions of the Dragonlord's foes. Erdrick, if you're watching, I'll need your help..."

END OF PART ONE