Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have just been given a million dollars to spend on video games with a catch.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default You have just been given a million dollars to spend on video games with a catch.

So you have just been given a million dollars to spend on video games. However, there is a catch. You must spend it in 24 hours or lose it all. How do you spend it? Do you go after every rare game to make the ultimate gaming collection? ...or do you invest it in a company like SquareEnix to help speed up production? Do you start your own company and buy the software needed to create your own games? Or... Do you fund an indie game that you think will be the next great? How do you spend that money?
    Last edited by Bubba; 09-02-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Ill buy so much games to make 563.7 mansions made out of game boxes and discs and cartridges etc.

and.. ill build a statue of quina outside all 563.7 mansions

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Just one video games or things related to video games?

If it's the later, I'd build a public access arcade and tell the government it was an interactive museum of digital entertainment technologies.

With any luck I could stock it full of really classic cabinets all the way up to some of the modern stuff, and use the tax breaks combined with donations to help keep it running.

Buy all of the games, then immediately sell all the ones I don't want. Probably at least 98% of them. Have oodles of money which I can now spend on anything I want. Buy a house in cash. Have hundreds of thousands of pounds left over. Live the good life.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I buy every single console I can find on amazon, ebay, whatever, buy a troutload of old authentic arcade cabinets, and every accessory and game I can find for everything.

I'd probably throw a decent chunk at some indie games on Kickstarter as well, upgrade my Tides of Numenera pledge and stuff.

e; oh and I'd buy a couple of really really hi-end bleeding edge PCs as well for me and Pike

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If I were to get a million dollars worth of video game memorabilia, I just don't think I could put in the time or energy to appreciate the collection like it deserves.

I would invest it all into this indie game called Lost Soul Aside. I'll put a trailer below. One man made this game by himself with Unreal Engine 4 over a few years time. I highly recommend viewing it. It has a nice Devil May Cry meets Final Fantasy sort of feel to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would buy some more gaming shelves, all of the games on my wishlist, buy some more consoles, buy sharky the games he wants, maybe some knick knacks, and fund some projects. That wouldn't be near the million dollars but I'm okay with that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aside from the logical step of buying every platform and every game I want, and funding interesting projects, I'd invest in some equipment that would allow me to make video game music

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd start with buying every game I ever pirated. It hardly rights the wrong but well, it gives me peace of mind. Then I'll buy every game console. Then I'll buy every VN I'm interested in, and if it counts, I'd hire a good private tutor that helps me learn to read Japanese so I can actually read those novels. Then I donate the rest to 07th Expansion and/or buy a dozen copies of every localized VN I like or something.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't forget:

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    You must spend it in 24 hours or lose it all.

Donate it to Shenmue III's development.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Building an arcade sounds like a good idea, but I couldn't manage to plan and buy everything for that in just one day.

I'd probably spend it on uh... the most insane gaming room money could buy. I'm sure I could manage to spend it all, considering there are TVs today that cost as much as a tesla model s.

I could probably afford to give amazing gaming PCs to everyone i care about.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK, so I've spent the past week solely coming up with my list for this. I've worked it out to the penny and it totals exactly $1M. Brexit exchange rates have really screwed me over though. Anyway, here is my final list...

Bubba's Million Dollar Game ListI didn't really do this, are you freakin' crazy? I'd just do what Mr Carnelian did.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    OK, so I've spent the past week solely coming up with my list for this. I've worked it out to the penny and it totals exactly $1M. Brexit exchange rates have really screwed me over though. Anyway, here is my final list...

Bubba's Million Dollar Game ListI didn't really do this, are you freakin' crazy? I'd just do what Mr Carnelian did.
    It took you a week to come up with "what he said?"

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Buy all of the games, then immediately sell all the ones I don't want. Probably at least 98% of them. Have oodles of money which I can now spend on anything I want. Buy a house in cash. Have hundreds of thousands of pounds left over. Live the good life.
    you know, if you had the time to be smart about it you could take advantage of the collector market, drive the supply of rare games down by buying all that you find, then sell them gradually at inflated prices and make money.