Thread: Kingsglaive FAN review

Blog Entries

Default Kingsglaive FAN review

For those of you who have seen the film, what do you think? Was this a good prologue that makes the game so much more interesting?

I thought it was good considering you don't know the world like you did with Advent Children. It has a great idea of using magic unlike The Spirits Within. I'm excited to play this game now. I love the aeon battles!
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ya i think it's like a 6.5
    like it's not as bad as i expected haha

i liked the teleportation mechanic, obviously this is a pre-amble to the game
    but i didn't feel anything for any of the characters
    sure it was pretty
    but story was bland (i know, preview of the game, whatevs)
    and some of the dialogue was omg stop
    and some was actually good
    so im confused who writes their dialogue cause like you KNOW you can do better than some of those lines

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

I watched it last night. Honestly I was shocked how good it was! I went in with the expectation of seeing something in the vein of Advent Children but SE has definitely learnt from their mistakes alot over their past two studio efforts.

I actually really liked the character of Nyx, having Lena Headey voice Luna didn't bother me as much as I thought it would either. Honestly my hype for XV had been dwindling ever since the delay but this film took it back up to 100.

It's a must watch if you're going to play the game, make sure you watch the after credits scene for a nice little segway into the game.

I really appreciated the movie, and I can't wait to play the game now!
    Lunafreya seems to be an amazing character. I also really like Ardyn. He'll be a great antagonist!

Oh yeah, Ardyn will be fantastic. Especially considering... well, can't go into details on that but it seems like people won't be liking Ardyn much for very long. Quite an interesting character.

Loved the movie. Rotten Tomato has a pretty rotten opinion on the movie, of which I couldn't disagree with more. I think Libertus' acting left more to be desired. Overall, some emotional scenes for Regis and Nyx.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I enjoyed it. Much better than Advent Children.

It was hard to care about a lot of the cast though. (SPOILER)Crowe being killed off before we even really got to know her, (SPOILER)the majority of the Glaive just being nameless nobodies etc. Plus the more I think about it, the more it seems odd (SPOILER)that the King would entrust such power to refugees in the first place, considering most of them would probably be harboring a huge amount of resentment for losing their homes so the risk of them double-crossing would be pretty damn high.

However, plot concerns aside, the action was flashy - getting to see (SPOILER)Diamond Weapon and the (SPOILER)Knights of the Round was great, and Lunafreya actually seems like quite an interesting character. I hope we actually get to meet (SPOILER)Libitus (?) in the final game too.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't awful but I didn't love it either. Watchable enough but I think it'll be forgotten by fans fairly quickly.

Visually, of course, superb. Not only in the high quality of graphics but also in what they were actually depicting. There was some real imagination - Insomnia in particular is such a great way to get across the "Fantasy based in reality" message. The fights were flashy and good visual spectacles but it was hard to follow what was going on and who was who, and there was little emotional investment in some of them.

Aaron Paul did a great job as Nyx, Sean Bean was fine as a stoic Ned Starkesque King Regis but Lena Headey as Luna was awful. She sounded flat and completely uninterested and I was really disappointed with her. I couldn't really feel invested in her or her story at all.

There were some nice world building moments and I definitely got the conflict had left the people of Lucis, well, conflicted. But there's also a lot that I think you're expected to just know. There isn't really much set up and a couple of key concepts are just thrown at you with little explanation. I assume that playing the game will shed some more light on it so maybe I'll change my opinion here when it does, but for now I'm only able to judge it on what's in front of me.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just watched it, not bad, not great. Better than AC but it has many of the same issues such as flashy visuals over a cohesive and well paced story. I kind of feel some of the fight scenes should have been shorter to give more time to get to know the characters. Nyx probably should have given a narration at the beginning about who he was and everything instead of his cryptic backstory we actually got, and there were several interesting characters that got very little screentime which was a shame.

Most of the new characters for the film were kind of blah, but I did like the core characters from XV itself like Regis and the Nifilheim Chancellor. The cameos of famous monsters in the film were a nice treat like (SPOILER)Diamond Weapon and (SPOILER)Ultros. The fight scenes were interesting at first but get a bit difficult to follow after awhile. Most of the cast was good but I'll echo the sentiment about Lena Headey as Lunafreya. Not so much because I felt she was awful, as much as I feel she was miscast. Which is a shame cause I love her acting for the most part and she seemed really intrigued by the whole story in the cast interviews.

Overall, I feel that Brotherhood has done much more to really sell the world and characters than this film did and I kind of feel the staff should have not bothered with the film and just throw it into the main game instead as originally planned. This wasn't bad, but I would agree with Psy that it will probably be forgotten eventually.

EDITGA: After thinking about it more, I realize now that Kingsglaive is pretty much what would have happened had SE chose to take the prologue of FFXII and make a movie about it, upgrading the unit Basch commands into a throw away cast of characters to all die when the peace negotiations go south. Thinking of it that way, I kind of feel Kingsglaive really should have just been a short prologue cutscene with a possible tutorial aspect like XII instead of being stretched out into a two-hour film.