Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Was this a glitch?

  1. #1

    Default Was this a glitch?

    I was fighting an armadodo in the tomb of the unknown king. The armadodo cast "earthquake" on me. But I did not see any hp taken from me.

    Did the attack just miss? But if it missed, shouldn't it have said 'miss'? I'm pretty sure it just said nothing, no hp taken, no 'miss' etc, just blank...

  2. #2

    Default

    Desperate for an answer if anyone has one.

    As I hate glitches because it makes me feel like I've not done the game properly.

  3. #3
    ⎛⎝ High King ⎠⎞‏ Lone Wolf Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,841
    Articles
    46
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Did you activate float? If so, I think earthquake doesn't effect you. Though I can't remember if it still says miss or not.

    What were you playing it on?

    I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but I've had a glitch before. I was playing the PS1 version of the game and a draw point I used a million times in Winhil just didn't exist anymore. Wasn't even faded because it was used, the spot was empty. But it showed up again in later playthroughs.

    I was going to say if you're playing on computer maybe there was a brief lapse in FPS or something.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Did you activate float? If so, I think earthquake doesn't effect you. Though I can't remember if it still says miss or not.

    What were you playing it on?

    I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but I've had a glitch before. I was playing the PS1 version of the game and a draw point I used a million times in Winhil just didn't exist anymore. Wasn't even faded because it was used, the spot was empty. But it showed up again in later playthroughs.

    I was going to say if you're playing on computer maybe there was a brief lapse in FPS or something.
    Thanks for the reply.

    Nope I didn't use float. Was just normal, and all 3 characters weren't effected.

    Playing on PS3, from the FFVIII PS1 version download from the online shop.

  5. #5
    ⎛⎝ High King ⎠⎞‏ Lone Wolf Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,841
    Articles
    46
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Hmm. I'm not sure.

    All I would say is try to keep getting in fights with armadodo. If nothing seems to be wrong in the future I'd just consider it a fluke. At least it's not a game breaking glitch like a missing quest.

  6. #6
    Untalented Game Designer FFNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    3,101

    FFXIV Character

    Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

    Default

    It also could be the equipment you were wearing. It could just have no effect due to what you had on.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    It also could be the equipment you were wearing. It could just have no effect due to what you had on.
    Well when I fought the same enemy shortly after, with exactly the same magic junctioned, I received damage from the move.

    I'm gonna test it with float (so it misses) and then see what happens.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    It also could be the equipment you were wearing. It could just have no effect due to what you had on.
    Well when I fought the same enemy shortly after, with exactly the same magic junctioned, I received damage from the move.

    I'm gonna test it with float (so it misses) and then see what happens.
    I tried out the above, and it did indeed say 'Miss'.

    So that's that answered.

    So it was either:
    a) a glitch, or
    b) it did take energy off but I just didn't see/notice

    I'm pissed off now. Because it feels like I've cheated. Argh. Now I wanna delete my file but I don't want to at the same time cos I would have wasted my time and efforts if I do.

  9. #9
    tech spirit
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virgo supercluster
    Posts
    17,920
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

    Default

    If you have earth elemental junctions and the damage reduction adds up to exactly 100%, i believe it is possible that the game simply shows nothing instead of a "miss" or "0" damage.

    why do you think this is like cheating? it's not your responsibility to iron out coding errors.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If you have earth elemental junctions and the damage reduction adds up to exactly 100%, i believe it is possible that the game simply shows nothing instead of a "miss" or "0" damage.
    You might be right, but this definitely didn't happen with me, because I didn't have hardly any earth magic, plus it happened to all 3 of my characters, plus in a separate battle later on (with the same stuff junctioned) the move did take damage. So it can't be to do with what I had junctioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    why do you think this is like cheating? it's not your responsibility to iron out coding errors.
    True that it isn't my responsibility, or fault. But I view it like cheating because the end result is that I defeated the creature, and all creatures after it until I healed, with more health than I should have had.

  11. #11
    Untalented Game Designer FFNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    3,101

    FFXIV Character

    Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

    Default

    If it bugs you a lot, you could always just pay for healing you don't really need down the road to even it out.

  12. #12
    tech spirit
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virgo supercluster
    Posts
    17,920
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If you have earth elemental junctions and the damage reduction adds up to exactly 100%, i believe it is possible that the game simply shows nothing instead of a "miss" or "0" damage.
    You might be right, but this definitely didn't happen with me, because I didn't have hardly any earth magic, plus it happened to all 3 of my characters, plus in a separate battle later on (with the same stuff junctioned) the move did take damage. So it can't be to do with what I had junctioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    why do you think this is like cheating? it's not your responsibility to iron out coding errors.
    True that it isn't my responsibility, or fault. But I view it like cheating because the end result is that I defeated the creature, and all creatures after it until I healed, with more health than I should have had.
    You played the game according to the rules set down by the programmers. Not cheating. Exploiting bugs isn't really cheating either, it's just taking advantage of rules that aren't defined well enough.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

  13. #13

    Default

    I don't suppose there is a way I could watch back my playthrough is there? It's not recorded or anything, but thought I'd ask. Playing on PS3.

    That way I could see if it really did say nothing, or if I just simply didn't spot it.

    Question - Would a glitch even happen in this way? I know glitches are common, but would a glitch ever manifest itself in this way? (An attack not saying any hit points). Or do you think it's simply impossible?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If you have earth elemental junctions and the damage reduction adds up to exactly 100%, i believe it is possible that the game simply shows nothing instead of a "miss" or "0" damage.
    You might be right, but this definitely didn't happen with me, because I didn't have hardly any earth magic, plus it happened to all 3 of my characters, plus in a separate battle later on (with the same stuff junctioned) the move did take damage. So it can't be to do with what I had junctioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    why do you think this is like cheating? it's not your responsibility to iron out coding errors.
    True that it isn't my responsibility, or fault. But I view it like cheating because the end result is that I defeated the creature, and all creatures after it until I healed, with more health than I should have had.
    You played the game according to the rules set down by the programmers. Not cheating. Exploiting bugs isn't really cheating either, it's just taking advantage of rules that aren't defined well enough.
    Last time I played and beat FFVIII I 'exploited' a bug. I was playing on the PSP, and during a boss fight, the whole thing slowed down/lagged. However, my gf boost wasn't effected, and this enabled me to boost Quezacotyl to 250, which I am otherwise not capable of.

    Eversince then it has been bothering me like crazy and I had felt that I haven't beaten the game properly. So this is the reason why I have finally started a file again, in order to 'beat it properly'.

    Would you say this armadodo thing is not as bad as the quezacotyl boost thing?

    Note - I have an illness, severe OCD and aspergers, and it effects my gaming experience in this way in general. Which sucks because I love playing games.

  15. #15
    Taking care of business Cid's Knight Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Shmocation
    Posts
    9,720
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    That sucks, man. It sounds like the only way you'd be satisfied would be to restart the game again. At least the point you're at isn't too far into the game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •