Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was this a glitch?

Default Was this a glitch?

I was fighting an armadodo in the tomb of the unknown king. The armadodo cast "earthquake" on me. But I did not see any hp taken from me.

Did the attack just miss? But if it missed, shouldn't it have said 'miss'? I'm pretty sure it just said nothing, no hp taken, no 'miss' etc, just blank...

Desperate for an answer if anyone has one.

As I hate glitches because it makes me feel like I've not done the game properly.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Did you activate float? If so, I think earthquake doesn't effect you. Though I can't remember if it still says miss or not.

What were you playing it on?

I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but I've had a glitch before. I was playing the PS1 version of the game and a draw point I used a million times in Winhil just didn't exist anymore. Wasn't even faded because it was used, the spot was empty. But it showed up again in later playthroughs.

I was going to say if you're playing on computer maybe there was a brief lapse in FPS or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Did you activate float? If so, I think earthquake doesn't effect you. Though I can't remember if it still says miss or not.

What were you playing it on?

I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but I've had a glitch before. I was playing the PS1 version of the game and a draw point I used a million times in Winhil just didn't exist anymore. Wasn't even faded because it was used, the spot was empty. But it showed up again in later playthroughs.

I was going to say if you're playing on computer maybe there was a brief lapse in FPS or something.
    Thanks for the reply.

Nope I didn't use float. Was just normal, and all 3 characters weren't effected.

Playing on PS3, from the FFVIII PS1 version download from the online shop.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Hmm. I'm not sure.

All I would say is try to keep getting in fights with armadodo. If nothing seems to be wrong in the future I'd just consider it a fluke. At least it's not a game breaking glitch like a missing quest.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

It also could be the equipment you were wearing. It could just have no effect due to what you had on.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    It also could be the equipment you were wearing. It could just have no effect due to what you had on.
    Well when I fought the same enemy shortly after, with exactly the same magic junctioned, I received damage from the move.

I'm gonna test it with float (so it misses) and then see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Well when I fought the same enemy shortly after, with exactly the same magic junctioned, I received damage from the move.

I'm gonna test it with float (so it misses) and then see what happens.
    I tried out the above, and it did indeed say 'Miss'.

So that's that answered.

So it was either:
    a) a glitch, or
    b) it did take energy off but I just didn't see/notice

I'm pissed off now. Because it feels like I've cheated. Argh. Now I wanna delete my file but I don't want to at the same time cos I would have wasted my time and efforts if I do.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If you have earth elemental junctions and the damage reduction adds up to exactly 100%, i believe it is possible that the game simply shows nothing instead of a "miss" or "0" damage.

why do you think this is like cheating? it's not your responsibility to iron out coding errors.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If you have earth elemental junctions and the damage reduction adds up to exactly 100%, i believe it is possible that the game simply shows nothing instead of a "miss" or "0" damage.
    You might be right, but this definitely didn't happen with me, because I didn't have hardly any earth magic, plus it happened to all 3 of my characters, plus in a separate battle later on (with the same stuff junctioned) the move did take damage. So it can't be to do with what I had junctioned.

why do you think this is like cheating? it's not your responsibility to iron out coding errors.
    True that it isn't my responsibility, or fault. But I view it like cheating because the end result is that I defeated the creature, and all creatures after it until I healed, with more health than I should have had.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

If it bugs you a lot, you could always just pay for healing you don't really need down the road to even it out.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You might be right, but this definitely didn't happen with me, because I didn't have hardly any earth magic, plus it happened to all 3 of my characters, plus in a separate battle later on (with the same stuff junctioned) the move did take damage. So it can't be to do with what I had junctioned.

True that it isn't my responsibility, or fault. But I view it like cheating because the end result is that I defeated the creature, and all creatures after it until I healed, with more health than I should have had.
    You played the game according to the rules set down by the programmers. Not cheating. Exploiting bugs isn't really cheating either, it's just taking advantage of rules that aren't defined well enough.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I don't suppose there is a way I could watch back my playthrough is there? It's not recorded or anything, but thought I'd ask. Playing on PS3.

That way I could see if it really did say nothing, or if I just simply didn't spot it.

Question - Would a glitch even happen in this way? I know glitches are common, but would a glitch ever manifest itself in this way? (An attack not saying any hit points). Or do you think it's simply impossible?

You played the game according to the rules set down by the programmers. Not cheating. Exploiting bugs isn't really cheating either, it's just taking advantage of rules that aren't defined well enough.
    Last time I played and beat FFVIII I 'exploited' a bug. I was playing on the PSP, and during a boss fight, the whole thing slowed down/lagged. However, my gf boost wasn't effected, and this enabled me to boost Quezacotyl to 250, which I am otherwise not capable of.

Eversince then it has been bothering me like crazy and I had felt that I haven't beaten the game properly. So this is the reason why I have finally started a file again, in order to 'beat it properly'.

Would you say this armadodo thing is not as bad as the quezacotyl boost thing?

Note - I have an illness, severe OCD and aspergers, and it effects my gaming experience in this way in general. Which sucks because I love playing games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That sucks, man. It sounds like the only way you'd be satisfied would be to restart the game again. At least the point you're at isn't too far into the game.