View Poll Results: Which series is better?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy

4 66.67%
  • Dragon Warrior

2 33.33%
  • Phhhffff I never played either

0 0%

Thread: Which series was better?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default Which series was better?

Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy. Which one do you love more? Both were strong RPG series with a series of sequels that have been strong. Both have entertained us, and made us curse. So which one do you prefer?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is actually impossible for me to decide.

Dragon Quest has an overall better track record with all the numbered games that I've played so far tanging from very good to fantastic, while Final Fantasy experiments more, leading to much more divisive titles, ranging from aweful to AMAZING!

They're also both series that offer very immersive experience for very different reasons. DQ gives you a silent protagonist with a humongous world and a story that mostly centers around little vignettes rather that trying to tell an effective, cohesive, grabbing story. It grabs you into the world through your own experience of it and it really needs to be played to be believed, because on paper it sounds barebones and simple. FF, on the other hand, is a more complete package that tries to tie interesting gameplay with compelling characters and sweeping, film-like (in recent titles) stories to the point that it being a game isn't actually the main draw that makes players involved in it.

So yeah. Both good in different ways. Can't possibly choose.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I havent played dragon quest much at all. But I have a strong feeling that id prefer FF more. Already I like every single FF ive played. And ive heard dragon quest is more light hearted. Which is fine. But since I prefer dark and deep stories then I think id choose ff. However the DQ series has interested me a bit. But im reluctantant on getting into a new series. Since it took me about 2 years to try ff from when I was properly introduced. And Zelda I only tried because of nostalgic memories of my sister playing it. So..m yeah. Idk. Maybe one day ill play it more.

and because of this I shall not vote since im way too biased

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy for me

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've only played two Dragon games so it wouldn't be fair for me to compare. Dragon Quest is less talked about in general because the series hasn't had much exposure outside of Japan. I think the first one was the only one that made it to the US until VII and then VIII was the entry point for a lot of people and not to mention the series started before Final Fantasy, but they're four games behind FF.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, only the original releases of V and VI never made it to the US. You guys had all the original releases from I to IV.

Final Fantasy.

DQ V, and IX are really good and excellent games though.

FF1 > DQ1
    FF2 = DQ2
    FF3 < DQ3
    FF4 = DQ4
    FF5 < DQ5 (sorry FF5, you're still one of the best)
    FF6 > DQ6
    FF7 > DQ7
    FF8 < DQ8
    FF9 = DQ9
    FF10 < nothing
    FF11 = disqualified
    FF12 > nothing
    FF13 < nothing
    FF14 = disqualified

I count 4 points for FF and 5 points for DQ.

Unless you are counting FFT (in which case FF wins) or Rocket Slime (in which case DQ wins).

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

To be honest with everyone I loved FF when I was younger where my best friend loved Dragon Quest. As we got older we started flopping as I feel DQ holds up better as a whole than the FF games in the later entries especially.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel DQ is better about consistency but does so in a rather boring kind of way since it's highly formulaic compared to some series. FF is like the opposite but has many highs and a few lows. I appreciate DQ more nowadays because it maintains elements I happen to enjoy about the genre, but I would be lying if I didn't say that FF has always had the bigger impact on me that made me passionate about the genre.

Dragon Quest pioneered the JRPG genre and has a more consistent level of quality overall. Final Fantasy games have more complex stories, deeper characters and more memorable music though. I guess it depends on what you look for in a game.

I'd rather see a series switching things up and failing at times than doing what most game series do and sticking with a fairly static formula. Consistency is nice, but flexibility is valued more now and these days in the world.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

By default I have to say Final Fantasy, but over the past year I finally decided to jump into the Dragon Quest series. I had already played DW1 years ago on GBC, but it wasn't until Dragon Quest Builders came out on PS4 that I decided to return to it.

I replayed DW1 and enjoyed it as well as played DW2 for the first time and also enjoyed it. Then I got DW3 (GBC) off eBay and had a really hard time getting into that one despite it being a favorite apparently. That was put on the back burner to continue on with DQIV. I'm pretty sure I'm near the end in it, but Breath of the Wild happened and I haven't played anything else since. So far it has been my favorite, though.

In the long run I'm sure I'll still prefer Final Fantasy, but it's nice finally seeing what the "competitor" has to offer.

Articles

I would have to say FF, but that is only because my experience with DQ is very minimal. I am however quite looking forward to DQXI and may pick it up when its released in a couple of months, but I'll have to see since FFXII: TZA is releasing just a couple of weeks before.

Regarding what some have said about consistency, as far as the main series games go, this is something I appreciate greatly with DQ even though as mentioned I haven't had much experience with the games in the past. Of course I also like the way FF tends to shake things up, but I think in recent years this has meant the soul of the franchise has been slightly lost. I also strongly account DQ's consistency to having pretty much the same key people involved each time, something that I feel FF would have also benefited from since the PS2 era when lots of key staff changed roles or left the company.