View Poll Results: Favorite Forgotten Realms Race?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Human

2 12.50%
  • Elf

3 18.75%
  • Half-elf

0 0%
  • Dwarf

2 12.50%
  • Gnome

0 0%
  • Halfling

1 6.25%
  • Half-orc

2 12.50%
  • Tiefling

1 6.25%
  • Aasimar

0 0%
  • Drow

0 0%
  • I can't choose just one!

0 0%
  • What the hell's a "tiefling"?

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite D&D/Forgotten Realms race?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Favorite D&D/Forgotten Realms race?

I'm on a D&D game binge, hence the poll.

The Forgotten Realms is one of the best established fantasy settings out there, with lots of races that are more or less familiar to most fantasy fans. Which of the ones listed is your favorite?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I've never had a chance to play D&D but I am told it's fun. However without playing it I had to awnser what the hell's a "tiefling".

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Dwarves have the racial ability to merge into a larger, more powerful dwarf right?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Clearly, we elves are superior in pretty much every fantasy series.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Thought I'd add this as I just ran into it looking for something else on YouTube. https://youtu.be/3JjhQ1Oi_3k

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i think when i played a wee dnd in the Chat i was a Halfling Paladin lol.

didnt get far and i dont think i really understood it lol

I know what a tiefling is, but as an old-schooler I find it weird that they're so commonplace in recent years. But now I have to look up what the heck a "Aasimar" is? I had D&D expansion books that laid out what it would be like to play as some of the weirder races. They allowed for centaurs, minotaurs, lizard people, bug people (thri-kreen), even a half-lion centaur thing called a wemic. But tieflings didn't exist back then or they were as rare as Gith or something. And even the monstrous humanoid wiki page I used to remind myself what some of these used to be doesn't have aasimar as a thing so i guess it was made up later just to be a player race, which is odd because I had the same impression tieflings were the same way and I'm wondering why some of these others that were already laid out have apparently now been swept under the rug. I remember when Drow were only evil monster people and it was a huge thing when they became playable. I would have expected the same thing to happen with minotaurs and the like. But instead they are just making stuff up or something lol

Not judging though. I just find it odd, but amusing

After looking them up I see that they effectively are tieflings so my argument is invalid since they're just the yin to the tiefling yang so if you make one you have to make the other

As for favorite races I'd probably go with the Sylph, human sized fairy people descended from Nymphs. So they're all gorgeous and magical

/rant

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the tiefling thing is kinda ridiculous. I kinda blame Planescap: Torment and Baldur's Gate II for popularizing the race, at least in the PC games. Ever since, there's been at least one tiefling. Icewind Dale 2 allows you to create one, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark has a tiefling party member, and in Neverwinter Nights 2 you can both create a tiefling AND get a cute tiefling girl as your first party member who is totally an Imoen expy.

I think it's because they've kind of been portrayed as defying a stereotype of being born with blood that should make them evil and thus they face a lot of stereotypes, but then so many good tieflings appeared that defy it that it just made them so cool to have around. Same with what Drizzt and, again among the PC games, Viconia did to the drow. Well, that and whatever Haer'Dalis was that made him so super popular. He wasn't exactly good. Just kind of.. uh... yeah.

It's funny how being prejudiced against and defying stereotypes has really made these races popular, but then there are half-orc characters that do the same and yet the race hasn't really reached that level of popularity. I guess being a Woobie makes you popular as long as you are conventionally attractive

Oh yeah, and Aasimars are also gaining prominence now with the primary antagonist of BG: Siege of Dragonspear being one. So that's a thing.

Wow, so I guess popularity depends on how showy you are and how well you buck prejudices towards your people in the public eye lol

Though I guess you would know better than me regarding the other expanded races. Have minotaurs and githzerai and the others become standard options, or at least made more common with the continued rewrite of the rules, or just tieflings? Because I totally agree with the half-orc argument, but also you'd think by now you'd be allowed to be a full orc and also buck the idea that they're just innately evil

Heck, in 2nd edition you didn't even have to try to piece out how to make an evil monster in a player character, there were options of being reincarnated into one at random. My brother died, got reincarnated, rolled the dice, and became a kobold. It seems reasonable to think that every option on that reincarnation table should be available

Though I could understand if they wanted to keep the generic high fantasy feel about it and not make everything a hodge-podge of reformed monsters walking around. It would basically kill the lore if myth dranor were rebuilt and housed by a bunch of friendly yaun-ti. Definitely surreal and amusing, but still probably pretty lore-breaking

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I think for Forgotten Realms it would come as no surprise that my favorite race is the Loxophant.

There's other races I like a good bit too.

Team human. Why in the nine hells of baator would i be anything else?!

YOU'RE BORING

For me, the elves have always been my favorite race. I've always liked the way they look, their history, it's cool, in my opinion. However, lately, I've been playing D&D less and less because I got a job and have very little free time. But how I would like to go back to the teenage period when there was a lot of free time, and you could play D&D with friends all day long. It's a pity that those times can't be returned. They were wonderful I will have to take a vacation and try to play D&D again, as it was before. I will call my friends, and I hope they will not be busy.
    Last edited by Annavyney; 09-02-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gray Dwarf Rune Knight can suplex an Adult Dragon at Level 3.